Powering multiple speakers

• Members

Hey guys,

I am planning on getting a large system. 8 Peavey QW2 and 8 QW subwoofers. I need to know what would be the best way to power these. I would like to minimize the number of power amps. I am planning on getting 4 CS4080, 4 CS1450 and 4 RMX850 power amps. How would I daisy chain the power amps to power my speakers? Thx for all your help!

How come I can't find amps like this in the U.S.?

These are the KAM KXR & KXT power amps

• Members

The amps you're talking about will be very heavy once racked up. Is the system being used all 8 at a time? At this price point it's worth it to look at line array or the next level up in trap boxes, amplifiers will have to be chosen after the speakers of course. How about an EV Cobra 2 or 4 system?

• Members

Well, the problem is the CS amps do not have the in/outs like the amps on the video. How can I hook (or daisy chain) the CS amps? I plan on getting a vsx26

I'm confused, faidlor = Tomis17 :confused:

Faidlor was here not long ago looking for a $2000 home Karaoke system with no PA knowledge and now wants a 25.5kw system :freak:? http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=2447149

Anyways you'd run the CS amps in parallel mode which connects the two input connectors together so you can use one as the "in" and the other as the "out". RTFM ;) page 10:

http://www.peavey.com/assets/literature/manuals/00511200_7.pdf

BTW if this is a portable system you'll have to carry a power distro to feed it. How were you planning on transporting it?

• Members

Anyways you'd run the CS amps in parallel mode which connects the two input connectors together so you can use one as the "in" and the other as the "out". RTFM
;)
page 10:

http://www.peavey.com/assets/literature/manuals/00511200_7.pdf

Like it says in the manual, make sure the power is off when you push the switch to parallel mode, it won't do anything if switched when the power is on, it will stay as is regardless of the position of the switch.

• Members

Actually, faidlor is my uncle. He had a question that I couldn't answer. Posted for him to help clarify. It's a long story...

Anyway, he has the Peavy QW1 & QW218 system. Because of the weight issue he wants to lighten the load (per cab) by going with smaller cabs. He really likes the QW speakers. I am just not sure if you could link/parallel connect the amps. He wants to set up 4 QW2s per side.How would you power something like that? I have a powered system and something like that would be way out of the ball park for me to help him with. Appreciate all your help!

• Members
Like it says in the manual, make sure the power is off when you push the switch to parallel mode, it won't do anything if switched when the power is on, it will stay as is regardless of the position of the switch.

Are you sure of that? I'd expect a possible loud "pop" and it to change into the mode selected as it isn't a DSP amp.

• Members
Actually, faidlor is my uncle. Posted for him to help clarify.

OK, the Peavey DSP sounds like a good idea if you're running mostly Peavey stuff.

Anyway, he has the Peavy QW1 & QW218 system. Because of the weight issue he wants to lighten the load (per cab) by going with smaller cabs. He really likes the QW speakers. I am just not sure if you could link/parallel connect the amps. He wants to set up 4 QW2s per side.How would you power something like that? I have a powered system and something like that would be way out of the ball park for me to help him with. Appreciate all your help!

So, he wants to go from 4xQW1 and 4XQW218's to 8xQW2F's and 8xQW118's - did I guess that right? Does he already own those amps or might he want to wait until the lightweight IPR series comes out in May?

• Members

Are you sure of that? I'd expect a possible loud "pop" and it to change into the mode selected as it isn't a DSP amp.

I use the CS-4080HZ, I never heard a pop but I didn't have the volume up either. The switch just didn't do anything when flicked with the power on.

• Members

OK, the Peavey DSP sounds like a good idea if you're running mostly Peavey stuff.So, he wants to go from 4xQW1 and 4XQW218's to 8xQW2F's and 8xQW118's - did I guess that right? Does he already own those amps or might he want to wait until the lightweight IPR series comes out in May?

RR thx for your help. I will pass he word onto to him.

• Members

Figure on 2 amp racks: 1ea per side of stage. Each rack will have the HF/MF/LF amps (1 per rack) in them and 1 VSX processor. Each rack will be capable of driving 4 stacks (2per side or 1 of 4ea) OR use only 1 amp rack and drive 1 or 2 stacks per side. This keeps things modular and easy to configure last minute. Amps can really be anything EXCEPT the 4080. The 4080 is only stable at 4ohms per channel and cannot drive 2 dual 18's per channel. I'd look hard at the IPR or QSC PLX or something in the light weight catagory.

• Members

Skip the CS amps and look for something a lighter and more powerful. My favorite big(ish) system to play through was 4 QW4's over 6 QW218's. Three power amps, two Crest Pro9200's on subs and a Crest Pro8200 on the tops. That rig sounded impressive
:thu:

Wow those amps are nice but lots of $$$. $2300 a piece. :eek:

I'm quite interested in the Peavey IPR6000 with DSP. Would that eliminate the need for the VSX26? And could I run 4 of the QW118 of that amp?

• Members

Wow those amps are nice but lots of $$$. $2300 a piece.
:eek:

I'm quite interested in the Peavey IPR6000 with DSP. Would that eliminate the need for the VSX26? And could I run 4 of the QW118 of that amp?

Yes, IF you set up the individual DSP's properly. It's not quite as easy nor convenient though.

You might consider QSC RMX series or the lighter PLX. Both will run 2 ohm loads and have power levels that are reasonable for your application.

• Members

Yes, IF you set up the individual DSP's properly. It's not quite as easy nor convenient though.

You might consider QSC RMX series or the lighter PLX. Both will run 2 ohm loads and have power levels that are reasonable for your application.

I just spoke with the sales rep guy at the shop and is it correct the CS series amps will only do 4 ohm loads? In that case the amp will only do TWO 8 ohm cabs right? And in that case the RMX/PLX would be a much better for my apllication.

Also, how can I parallel link my amps. There are only L/R outputs from the crossover. Let's say I want to run four amps (two each channel) for my subwoofers, how would I parallel link the signals?

xover L to amp 1 to amp 2

xover R to amp 3 to amp 4

:confused:

• Members

I'm quite interested in the Peavey IPR6000 with DSP. Would that eliminate the need for the VSX26?

Sure as long as you use IPR DSP amps for all three ranges (subs, tops HF, tops LF).

And could I run 4 of the QW118 off that amp?

You could run 8 if you wanted to :cool:.

I'm still not sure what you're trying to do? Running 8xQW2F over 8xQW118 will leave you with too little sub indoors - WAY too little outdoors. 4 of the QW2F's will keep up with 8 QW118's just fine indoors. The QW2F's are about the same output as the QW1's you have now.

I'd run the 8xQW118's off two IPRDSP4500's and 4xQW2F's off a single IPRDSP4500 for the LF's and a IPRDSP1600 for the HF's. If you're running monitors a couple more IPRDSP1600's for those :cool:.

• Members

Sure as long as you use IPR DSP amps for all three ranges (subs, tops HF, tops LF).You could run 8 if you wanted to
:cool:

I'm still not sure what you're trying to do? Running 8xQW2F over 8xQW118 will leave you with too little sub indoors - WAY too little outdoors. 4 of the QW2F's will keep up with 8 QW118's just fine indoors. The QW2F's are about the same output as the QW1's you have now.

I'd run the 8xQW118's off two IPRDSP4500's and 4xQW2F's off a single IPRDSP4500 for the LF's and a IPRDSP1600 for the HF's. If you're running monitors a couple more IPRDSP1600's for those
:cool:

So if I went the IPR w/o the DSP would the VSX26 be good?

Also, how would I parallel link the power amps if the situation ever calls for that?

• Members

I am wondering what the intended application for this rig is? They're just fine boxes, but I have a hard time picturing a time where QW is what I would choose in a scenario where the goall is "downsizing/lightening the load."

Similarly, the Qw2 is not the first thing I would think of for an 8 box configuration.

Archived