Needing a mixer....

• Members

Unpowered, about 6 xlr's, simple to use for the clueless church sound man and relatively inexpensive. Mainly looking for suggestions on quality of the product. It was suggested Peavey 10. I read reviews, and they were all good....but I am not sure I can bring myself to Peavey.

• Members

peavey has an undeserved bad reputation because they built their gear too well and it lasted far beyond its life-cycle (and even then, sorta worked) so when you see 35 year old peavey stuff that has a few broken parts on it most people think its junk, whereas everything else from that era is long gone.

also peavey has a prominent name in the entry level equipment game, but so do a lot of other companies. i have peavey stuff and its fine, no problems buying peavey.

• Members

Interesting about Peavey...that is why I asked here first.

$300 max is their budget.

I bought a A&H ZED12FX for $300 off Ebay. Perfect condition. It has 6 XLR inputs and it as quiet as a mouse. And the onboard effects are pretty decent (we use the onboard reverb on the vocals).

• Members

Gotta say the Peavay PV series would be a fine entry level board. A&H Zed is a nice step up, Yamaha MG12/4(?) works as well. More important though is how many aux sends do you need? effects built in? EQ? Routing?

Talk to some sound people, they said Zed14 is a lot to do with the name. FX would be handy, no EQ needed, got one already. 1 or 2 aux outs would be nice too. The Peavy 10 is looking good.

The way its going to be is the left ch is going to 2 speakers in the gym. The right ch is going in the main sanctuary. Speakers will be paralleled.

• Members

Name or not, the Zed is more ruggedly built all around. Better EQ, layout, good faders and feels better all around. The PV would also work very well for your app so I guess I'd recommend that.

Do you feel the Zed is worth an extra $200 over the Peavey? Would I get $200 worth more out of the Zed? I can see me using the Zed because we travel and things get banged around a bit. EQ doesnt matter in this case as we have a separate EQ.

• Members

I am pretty sure when unalaska mentions EQ in this context, he is talking about the EQ on each input channel.... bass, mid, treble controls, not a graphic eq. Pretty much any board has at least some sort of channel eq, the peavey included. I don't have any experience with the PV boards, the new ones at least, but people speak well of them. My first choice would be the Soundcraft EPM6. Solid build, great channel EQ, and you can get a rack mount kit for it if you need to, although that may be true of the Peavey and the Allen&Heath too.

• Members

peavey has an undeserved bad reputation because they built their gear too well and it lasted far beyond its life-cycle (and even then, sorta worked) so when you see 35 year old peavey stuff that has a few broken parts on it most people think its junk, whereas everything else from that era is long gone.

also peavey has a prominent name in the entry level equipment game, but so do a lot of other companies. i have peavey stuff and its fine, no problems buying peavey.

I don't think Peavey earned an undeserved bad rep from building their gear too well. I think they earned an undeserved bad rep because they were building entry level equipment long before there was Mackie or Behringer and they became the first ever brand to be universally nixed on all tech riders because of it. For anyone old enough to remember, it started out with national acts in the 70's and 80's that would list all acceptable equipment in their rider and their final word would be "and absolutely NO PEAVEY!!!". This spread to regional bands and finally any band who had to put a tech rider together. Since all the big acts said "NO PEAVEY", you weren't cool unless you had a rider that said "NO PEAVEY".

Because of this, Peavey became very rider unfriendly. This went on for years and years until other companies started cranking out entry level gear and riders universally started nixing other brand names. It's been a long time since I have seen a rider mention the name Peavey.

Dennis

• Members

Soundcraft EPM6

I second the Soundcraft board. I got the EPM8 for small gigs and just love it. It has very clean pre's, has 8 xlr/ or 1/4" ins as well as 2 stereo ins, 2 aux's that you can set to pre or post, 3 band eq with mid swept, and a ton of other great things. And the EPM6 can be had for around $250. Best of all it's a very easy board to use for even total noobs. I have sent this out with some powered mains and always get great compliments on good sound and ease of use.

Pax

• Members

Sorry soundman, I didn't mean to pick a fight! The PV is a great board, prolly the best in it's price point. The A&H has each pot secured to the chassis with a nut, faders are 100mm, EQ is 3 band swept mid, XLR ouput (1/4 TRS is really fine though), and going from the "feel" of the mixwiz and GL series I'd put faith in the board for holding up well over time.

That said, the PV benefits as having a smaller footprint, 3 band fixed EQ, plenty of stereo channels, 1 pre and 1 post send (vs 2+1) and 60mm faders. Of course the PV does cost about what, 60% or so the A&H and falls into the OP's budget? OK, get the PV.

and yes the soundcraft is also a nice board.

Seems like mixers have really come a long way in the last 20 years. If you wanted a small board you'd be stuck with a 1202 or 1402. Many early ones are still out there running too, I hope these do as well or better.

Archived