Where do you get your QUAD Box supplies?

• Members

Made my first quad box last night and it turned out great! However, it cost about $63 for a 50ft quad box from Home Depot. Granted it's worth every penny I wonder if it's more economical getting supplies from an online dealer. Especially for cables. It's $0.86/ft for 14-gauge 3 conductor cables at HD. Any suggestions?

• Members

Do you have a local electrical supply store? I got the properly rated cable (black, SJ I think) from them for less than the HD prices. Shipping gets pricey on cables.

We have Ace Hardware. I doubt their pricing would be any better though. But it wouldn't hurt to check.

• Members

Most everyone hase a electical supply house in their county, you may just not know where to look for it.

I'm of the experience that electrical supply houses generally charge basically full retail unless you're a licensed contractor... chances are Home Depot or similar box store offers difficult to beat pricing unless you're set-up as a long-time volume commercial account at a contractor's electrical supply house.

• Members

Darn it! I indeed used SJ 14-3 cables. I am thinking about making 3 more quad boxes. Should I cut the SJ cables into 6' strips and made 4 6-ft quad boxes, then make separate 50-ft SO extension cords?

• Members

Darn it! I indeed used SJ 14-3 cables. I am thinking about making 3 more quad boxes. Should I cut the SJ cables into 6' strips and made 4 6-ft quad boxes, then make separate 50-ft SO extension cords?

Consider making your quad's with only 18-24" (enough to reach the floor from a typical outlet) of cable on them and using extension cords in between. This makes them significantly more versatile and somewhat easier to store.

• Members

Consider making your quad's with only 18-24" (enough to reach the floor from a typical outlet) of cable on them and using extension cords in between. This makes them significantly more versatile and somewhat easier to store.

Exactly my thought. Awesome!: Thx! :thu:

• Members

Article 520.

If I'm reading it correctly, NEC Article 520, specifically 520-68 (conductors for portables) seems to generally call for extra-hard usage (SO) rated cabling. The exceptions seem to be for cabling like socapex lighting cable and the like that won't be laying on the floor. There doesn't seem to be any exceptions allowing SJ cabling of shorter lengths when the cabling is laying on the ground or stage.

If I'm reading the code book right, then a 100ft. 12-3 SJOW extension cord (like the orange ones commonly sold at large box chain stores) running out to the FOH mix position would be a strict no-no.

This maybe answers some questions I've had for years... concerning the common usage of L5-20 twistlock connectors on quadbox cableing and the like. It makes sense now, since if the cabling has to be SO to be code compliant, and if you want 20 amps of capability, 12-3 SO cable isn't Edision plug (5-15 or 5-20) friendly... and you just about have to use L5-20 twistlock connectors just to be capable of assembling the male connector on the cable... and to have any hope of that heavy 12-3SO cable staying connected to a receptical.

Maybe Bill's found an exception in the code book that allows short SJ rated cables, as it would make sense to have some short 5-15P to L5-20R adaptor cables so a person could plug their SO (with L5-20P ends) equipped quad boxes into standard Edision wall outlets at venues.

• Members

If I'm reading it correctly, NEC Article 520, specifically 520-68 (conductors for portables) seems to generally call for extra-hard usage (SO) rated cabling. The exceptions seem to be for cabling like socapex lighting cable and the like that won't be laying on the floor. There doesn't seem to be any exceptions allowing SJ cabling of shorter lengths when the cabling is laying on the ground or stage.

That's the one. Although come to think of, there is a section in 520 that allows for (might be off a hair on the language - going from memory) "adapters and twofers" that can be SJ provided they are less than 1 meter. I can't recall if they must be 'protected' like what 520.68 calls for. 1 meter is only ~3.3 feet, so I still can't come up with the 6 foot figure... garsh. Does a quad-box count as an adapter? Probably up to the AHJ, which I wouldn't push my luck with on a non-portable listed box to begin with.

• Members

There is an exception for things like a cable that's pulled through a tube (protected for it's entire length) and short pieces that are protected.

If everything is done right, it's unlikely that SJ will be tagged (where used appropriately) but there are places in the US where the codes are enforced to the letter usually due to politics and sometimes union influences.

• Members

I got the properly rated cable (black, SJ I think) from them for less than the HD prices.

Oops - my bad. I looked at my extension cables (can't trust my memory, must be CRS kicking in), and actually used SOOW cable. Good stuff!

• Members

If you are powering low power loads only. 14ga is a better choice.

How about for powering a rack case with a PV14 mixer, dbx231 EQ, dbx 233xl xover, a rmx1450 and a rmx1850HD? All from one quad box.

• Members

I had to throw out all 16ga power cables and most 14's too. Say for example you run 12ga from a lighting tree and you're 10ft short. I did this once using a 16ga and it MELTED the plastic end to the male 12ga molded end. Don't do this, resist temptation and get rid of 16ga and 14ga too. For any kind of lighting it makes a biiig difference.

• Members

There are good reasons other than code compliance to use the correct guage cable, especially if you have long runs. As SR equipment advances, more DSP is involved. As a keyboard player whose boards are computers (essentially all keys today), I can tell you that intermediate voltage sag, like when the kick is hit, can drop the voltage at the end of the extension cord to a level that will cause the computers to reboot. This is not fun in the middle of a song. Other DSP devices can suffer the same fate. When you use the proper gauge cable, voltage drop issues are minimized. There is no voltage drop when there is no current flowing. When excess current flows, the voltage drop can be substantial, especially if you are using smaller guage power cables. Like Craig said, doing it right gives you Peace of Mind, in more ways than one.

• Members

For your application and loads, 14ga should be fine provided you limit the total length of the extension cords to 100' or less.

Note guys, that the load is likely 8 ohms per channel on the main amp and the maximum current draw is unlikely to exceed about 5-6 amps. Even at 4 ohms, driven into limiting it's only going to be around 8 amps.

Archived