SKB Customer Service??

• Members

I bought a Mighty GigRig this week, and it was delivered Wednesday. I immediately took it out of the shipping box and got to work assembling it and putting my stuff in it... or so I thought.

I'm not impressed with the QC of SKB. Have they gone downhill lately? I submitted the following on their website Wed. late afternoon/evening EST, then when I got no response, not even a receipt acknowledgment, yesterday afternoon I sent it again via email to their customer service. As of now, I have not received an email, phone call, nothing. Attempts to call their customer support/parts/warranty line results in a never-ending wait time, and if you don't hit the "*" key in time (every couple minutes) you go back to the main menu... where I assume you lose your place in queue.

I have never had any issue getting in touch with their customer service before, and they had always been prompt in getting back to me and making any issues I have right again. Our rack is prewired with an input/output panel, and I always test everything before we take it to a gig so the sooner this is resolved the better... I don't want to have to re-rack everything in the old rack because they're not responding!

SKB, what happened to you?

I bought a Mighty GigRig from ************.com, which was delivered yesterday. I have not had a good experience thus far; I submitted a ticket yesterday via the online form but have not received a reply yet. I need to know what steps I need to take to remedy these problems quickly, as we have shows coming up...

First of all, the caster kit that was included in the Mighty GigRig did NOT have any bolts or other connecting hardware included with it. Just the casters themselves. Cannot be assembled.

Second, another bag stated that it had the screws, washers and NUT CLIPS used to attach rack equipment to the rack. It only had the screws and washers included. This may be related to the next issue...

Third, I am used to having SKB's rails with the oversized holes that allow the use of nut clips rather than simply having generic threaded rack rails. I was disappointed to see that the Mighty GigRig had the cheap threaded rails installed instead (apparently, this is why there were no clips included with the rack screws?). I attempted to install my first piece of equipment into the rack... a power amplifier. Three screws went in without any problem and snugged up. The fourth screw stripped out the hole in the rack with minimal pressure, it wasn't even close to being tight! Now I cannot secure the amplifier in the rack as it is not bolted in on each corner!

I have used SKB cases exclusively in the past for my instrument needs as well as housing our PA equipment. I am disappointed in the apparent lack of attention to detail put into this expensive case, and the downgrading of the rack rails that I have come to expect from SKB.

Please contact me as soon as possible what can be done about the missing hardware and defective rack rail(s), as I have shows coming up and I NEED to have my equipment racked and ready to go.

Also, is SKB moving away from using the rails that accept the clips??

• Members

I believe SKB is moving away from the clips on the rack rails, they started this several years ago on a few of their products. The screws should have been included with the casters.

Be carefull about racking amplifiers and a lot of heavy equipment in the plastic rack. This can cause the bottom to bow up in the center and make the covers difficult to put on and latch.

• Members

My personal experience with SKB has not been good. Out of a half dozen or so racks I bought from them, all failed in some way right around the 6 month point. Either the tops warped to the point they would not attach properly or hardware just started falling off. I would never use SKB for anything but a fixed location. I was totally unimpressed with them. Their customer service was not helpful for me but this was about 10 to 15 years ago.

• Members

For what it's worth I hav a Mighty Gigrig. Used it roughly 60 times in the last year with no problems. Not a fan of the "pop on" front and rear cover, but they have lasted.

As for the threaded rails versus the clips, why would you want the clips? Real racks have threaded rails. I consider this move an improvement. I hate those clips.

If I had it to do over again I don't know if I'd get it again. At the time it was the only case that fit the Presonus Studiolive and its 14U length. The laptop shelf accessory is pretty cool though.

• Members

I also had a (not so) Mighty Gig Rig. I was also underwhelmed with its quality. I ended up having to add plywood reinforcements to the bottom caster mounts. I ultimately changed how I packaged my equipment. After a few different approaches, I ended up with this, which was actually cheaper, and infinitely better. Over all I have been very impressed with the EWI cases. A good friend that does production for one of the national sports leagues has switched to EWI cases after I showed him mine, as he was very impressed with the quality. Mark also bailed him out with some very quick service on some custom cables. My suggestion would be to return the SKB and order the EWI, You will not be disappointed with Mark and Liz's version of customer service.

• Members

After thinking about it, I am strongly thinking about returning the GigRig. The construction is secondary to the lack of customer service I've received; it's now the weekend and I have yet to hear from them. Can't deal with that when we're playing out...

Does anyone know if you can rackmount an O1V in the EWI C12U-R-22 and leave the connections wired up from the back panel? (I am fine with using right angle XLR and 1/4" connections if necessary.) I've sent an email to audiopile but hope that someone has first-hand experience with it here.

• Members

I had a GIg Rig for many years. It was a nice box that never let me down.

Rack rails should be threaded. Were you tightening all of the screws before moving on to the next one, or getting them all threaded and making sure that none of them were being pushed by the gear...

I had a latch that was damaged shortly after I got my Gig Rig. A quick call to SKB and they sent me two replacement latches. For all I know, one of my band-mates slammed something into the latch... so as for my limited customer service experience, it was a very good one...

• Members

I have a regular SKB 12-space rack that is about 10 years old and has been gigged every weekend almost. Still in fine condition. I also have a Mini Gig-rig almost the same age. I called SKB 5-6 years ago because two of the top latches were broken. They sent me 4 replacements for no charge. Got them in under a week.

• Members

I wish I could make a quick call to SKB. I've tried several times now; it wasn't this hard before. Now you go through the menu, all lines are busy (surprise) "if you want to hold, press the star key... or you will be returned to the main menu." And you have to press the star key every 40 seconds or so. It's ridiculous. I had talked to them about replacing latches, etc on my other cases and NEVER had an experience like this.

I had great customer service from them, as recently as last year. However, I fear it's taken a turn for the worse lately.

• Members

Does anyone know if you can rackmount an O1V in the EWI C12U-R-22 and leave the connections wired up from the back panel? (I am fine with using right angle XLR and 1/4" connections if necessary.) I've sent an email to audiopile but hope that someone has first-hand experience with it here.

I've never personally mounted an O1V into an EWI 22" rack depth CU series case, but I believe we've sold a number of such cases to folks who have mounted their 01V mixer's into the cases they received from us, and as far as I know, all went fine. I don't know what they had for connections.

• Members

I've never personally mounted an O1V into an EWI 22" rack depth CU series case, but I believe we've sold a number of such cases to folks who have mounted their 01V mixer's into the cases they received from us, and as far as I know, all went fine. I don't know what they had for connections.

Thanks, I'll be placing an order as soon as I get RMA's for the GigRig and the rear rack kit.

I'm glad our show this week is a benefit where we're using house sound...

• Members

I have a SKB soft keyboard case ,, Its my second one. the new one started going to {censored} in a matter of a few weeks ,, I took pic, sent the invoice with the date of purchase ,,, flat out told them that there was no way in hell that I could return it till I had another case ,, told them that their first piece of crap case when to hell in a year ,,, and it was un usable . They did not even bother to reply after I had explained this deal to a customer service rep ,, screw these clowns... The had two freekin chances ,,,, Never again will I buy one of their products ,,, no matter what it costs..

• Members

I have my O1v96 mounted in one and all of the connections on the back remain in place. I lowered the bottom of the ratchet tilt mounts about an inch (drilled two holes) and I can leave XLRs in the top as well. I am extremely happy with it. You can PM me with any questions or if you would like me to take a picture. Mark- let me know if you want a picture of the O1v in your case as well.

I would suggest that you check your DI, cable and connector inventory as well because any that you order will essentially ride for free in the rack case. My only complaint with Audiopile is that they are on the opposite end of the country from me.

• Members

I have my O1v96 mounted in one and all of the connections on the back remain in place. I lowered the bottom of the ratchet tilt mounts about an inch (drilled two holes) and I can leave XLRs in the top as well. I am extremely happy with it. You can PM me with any questions or if you would like me to take a picture. Mark- let me know if you want a picture of the O1v in your case as well.

I would suggest that you check your DI, cable and connector inventory as well because any that you order will essentially ride for free in the rack case. My only complaint with Audiopile is that they are on the opposite end of the country from me.

That sounds GREAT. I was actually planning on ordering a handful of 90 degree XLR's so I can leave a couple of the top XLRs plugged in as well.

• Members

I have a SKB soft keyboard case ,, Its my second one. the new one started going to {censored} in a matter of a few weeks ,, I took pic, sent the invoice with the date of purchase ,,, flat out told them that there was no way in hell that I could return it till I had another case ,, told them that their first piece of crap case when to hell in a year ,,, and it was un usable . They did not even bother to reply after I had explained this deal to a customer service rep ,, screw these clowns... The had two freekin chances ,,,, Never again will I buy one of their products ,,, no matter what it costs..

Atta boy. That's telling them. :facepalm:

I wouldn't have replied to you either with a tone like that.

Sounds like user error to me.

Tom

• Members

SKB finally called me back Friday. Over a week after initial contact.

They apologized about overlooking it, said it got missed somehow (email and web form contact, I suppose). I told them what was wrong with the case, the missing pieces, how I wasn't impressed with the build and most importantly the lack of response from customer service. I had since boxed it up and sent it back to the company I purchased it from ($123 UPS... OUCH!).

An interesting tidbit, so no one else wastes their time... I sat through the menus on the phone as I said before, and told her about it... She said that they have no capabilities for 'holding' calls, that there are no indicator lights that say someone is on the line, etc. so she doesn't know why the menu would be like that. In other words, no one will ever answer your call on that line.

On a happier note, my EWI case is currently in transit.

• Members

Atta boy. That's telling them.
:facepalm:

I wouldn't have replied to you either with a tone like that.

Sounds like user error to me.

Tom

You would think a product would last longer than three weeks. i dont abuse my equipment. it was just poor workmanship. SKB has proven they dont build soft keyboard cases that will hold up. I was very nice on the phone sent pictures ,, and showed them the issue. I cannot be dragging my board around without a case even if i end up with them screwing me over. the main zipper blew in the first one.. and it cant be counted on,, The second one is still usable but has quality flaws,,,, I need to use to use the case. I am stuck between a rock and hard spot and this company will not back their product for a guy that paid for two of them. They well never sell me another case or anything for that matter.

Archived