3 hours to wire two speakers.

• Members

I started a new job this morning at the Teen Tech Center in the basement of the Grace Episcopal Church in town.

The contract consists of installing the following:

Denon AVR 790 7.1 tuner/amplifier/controller

2 in wall speakers

2 ceiling speakers

1 subwoofer (supplied by the church)

1 motorized projection screen

1 LCD projector w/ceiling mount

1 Wii system (supplied by the church)

3 flat screen monitors (supplied by the church) to be mounted and interfaced.

We started the job by creating a cable chase from the cabinet up the wall to above the dropped ceiling. All is good. We mounted the motorized projection screen without much effort and went to install the in wall speakers on either side of the screen.

The first cutout went as planned without a hitch. The second was not so nice. First, we had to cheat the position by a half inch due to a stud in the wall, then upon cutting out the drywall we found a cripple stud in the middle of the rough out. No big deal, used the Sawsall and it was gone.

Now for the cable run to the speakers. :facepalm: If you can imagine a space 20' deep by 30' wide with 3 risers for the seating area you have the idea. The wall where the motorized screen is installed has an HVAC duct running across the top that has been enclosed in steetrock.

Long story short, the cable run for the speakers went this way.

From the AV cabinet up through the chase we make in the wall to above the dropped ceiling. From there it went forward to a hole in the side wall of the drywall, around HVAC ducts through a cinder block wall into the ceiling of a bathroom. From there it went back through the cinder block wall and snaked behind another HVAC duct and down through a 2x4 header to the wall behind the in wall speakers.

At this point we took lunch.

When we left today, the two ceiling in zone two were installed, RG6 pulled for the three flat screens and projector is in place and the front end electronics (Denon AVR, Teac CD unit and Wii) is good to go.

Tomorrow, we'll hang the three flat screens and projector then move onto the next contract (which happens to be upstairs in the same building for sound in the Fellowship room.

• Members

Your still lucky. I ran wire for an install a month ago and just went back to finish. Someone was nice enough to pull my runs in the T bars and junk/steal them. So I had to go back and spend another 4 hours to run them. I asked the Supervisor who ask the contractor who asked the T-bar guys who asked the electrician all with blank looks on their faces.

• Members

Your still lucky. I ran wire for an install a month ago and just went back to finish. Someone was nice enough to pull my runs in the T bars and junk/steal them. So I had to go back and spend another 4 hours to run them. I asked the Supervisor who ask the contractor who asked the T-bar guys who asked the electrician all with blank looks on their faces.

Hope you charged them.

I get frustrated by some of the install work I do as well- I am building a recording studio for a very dear and old friend right now- It's amazing. But the one damn thing he has is this fanatical need to organize and clean stuff up. I keep telling him, "Dude, this is a jobsite, please dont' obsess with throwing stuff away"... he's always there asking me "is this trash?" "what a mess"- all while I'm working. I literally will be pulling cable through the wall and he complains about the mess. I leave a hatch open (because they are cut from teh wood floor and I want to minimize the damage to the edges) and he asks me every day "When can we close that hatch". He finally got the message when he threw away a box that looked like trash but had about $700 worth of parts - Elco Blocks, Gaff Tape, Pins, Shrink Tubing, DSub25's, TRS jacks etc. He has to pay for all of that again. At least he didnt' balk at it.

T

• Members

At today's prices, just one of each of those items adds up to $700.
;):lol:

you aren't kidding. It's been about 5 years since I did a recording studio on my own, and I got some serious sticker shock when I saw the wire/part prices.

I used to pay about $5 for an EDAC90 block, now it's $11. 24pr Belden Cable used to be a bout 3.50/foot, now it's almost $7.

• Members

Hope you charged them.

T

I ended up taking a lost because I felt bad for the owner of the restrusant. She is over budget by 150K already and it seems like everyone is sticking it to her with halfass work.

And I just found out she got red flag by the city today, so all work has stopped. Looks like there might be some lawsuits in this deal.

All my work is up to code, I can't say that for the other folks I seen there.:)

Archived