100Hz cut on NX55P

• Members

I run a Driverack PA with 2 NX55P and 2 LS720P. I put all 4 speakers in full range and let the crossover in the Driverack do the work at around 100Hz.

Am I loosing any power by not engaging the 100hz cut off on the NX55P or is it essentially the same?

Thanks

S

• Members

Funny thing you should post about this today. I was playing around with my NX55Ps all day, trying to make them sound as good as possible for my 6 concerts next week (I am visiting a few schools to build up some excitement about my new CD).

Anyway, after a while I got very annoyed with the sound of the woofers bottoming out every now and then and decided to engage the 100hz cutoff on both NX55Ps. I then made up for the lost DEEP bass by boosting the bass on my cahnnel EQ. The low knob (on my Yamaha MG82CX) is a 100hz boost, and I boosted it about 9DBs to get the speakers sounding almost as full as before. I was really surprised at how much louder the speakers could get NOW compared to before. (even with a 9DB boost on the lows) WHAT A DIFFERENCE.

You can tell the speakers aren't playing quite as deep, but it does sound like there is some sub 100hz content coming out. They don't sound whimpy at all. What a difference in output before limiting sets in though. And no more bottoming out. (not easily anyway) I think I will use them like this from now on. The built-in bass boost is just way too much and too deep and seriously limits too quickly, especially with any modern dance music.

Al

• Members

Yes, there is a tradeoff between low end and higher overall SPL. Pick one.

I think his question is if he should use the 100hz cutoff on the NX55P even though the driverack is already sending the stuff below 100hz to the sub (and the stuff above to the NX55P). Essentially, it would be like applying a 100hz cutoff 2 times. If he better off just running the NX55P and letting the driverack do its job or have both filtering the same frequencies. Does it make a difference? I'm not sure myself since I've never used a driverack.

Al

Archived