Best Way to connect my Roland Td-20 to a mixer

• Members

I just set my Td-20 set up for the first time at my church. Right now I only have it running mono out of the master out. I am wanting to use the 8 direct outs so I can have more control at the mixer. Will this snake work for what I need to do? The set is about 5-10 feet away from the main snake that goes to the mixer so I think this patch snake will do. I am trying to avoid getting 8 d.i.s or a rack mount d.i. for right now just because they cost so much.. or at least they do when u buy enough for 8 inputs and then cables for all 8.. Anyone know if this is sheilded.. It doesn't say if it is or not.. http://www.audiopile.net/products/Patch_snakes/MTMS/MTMS-08/MTMS-08_cutsheet.shtml

• Members

If the mixer is of a type that has global phantom power, I'd say no, as if the phantom power gets turned on, it will likely damage the outputs of the TD-20. (Unless you use XLR-to-1/4" adapters on the board and and go into the line inputs.)

If the above is not a concern, the answer is "maybe". It might work fine, or there might be ground loop issues.

I'd play it safe in either case and get 8 channels of Audiopile.net or Radial Pro series DIs.

• Members

Your TD-20 has 8 direct outs you should, take advantage of them

here's how I did it.

1-kick dry signal with no effects

2-snare dry signal

3-toms grouped together dry signal

4-cymbals grouped together dry signal

L/R main your favorite bedroom kit sent to MONITOR ONLY

You ask why a dry signal because depending on the room I'm mixing sometimes the room had plenty of natural ambience so adding reverb would cause a bad mix.

With the direct out dry signal I could add just the perfect amount eq and reverb to tune the drums to the room at the mixer which speeds up set up time then tweaking within the TD-20 unit IMO

The main L/R I never used in the FOH mix because 99% the drummer has his favorite bedroom kit tweak to perfection but in a live room sometimes that kit just had way to much effects and cause a bad mix was one of the biggest problem I ran across.

Also I know the TD-20 has a built in volume mixer but do the soundman a favor set and forget the volume on each slider and leave them. My last e-drummer couldn't keep his hands off his volume mixer esp the snare and kick and at times the kick and snare was walking all over the FOH mix causing a unbalanced mix with the kick and snare dominated the FOH mix. :facepalm:

• Members

Add some of these to your Audiopile basket he has both male and female version.

These will help for the TD-20 direct outs 1/4" to xlr to the DI rack.

Do I really need those since the trs cables will only be about 6 feet long..?? The rack will be extremely close to the set..

• Members

You will need 1/4"TS to 1/4"TS for going into the DI. Do not use TRS because the ring must be connected to sleeve (which is default of course on a TS) on many DI's.

Get a 4 channel passive DI or two to solve your problem correctly. If you don't have the funds for the proper interface, you probably don't have the funds to repair the TD-20 either eh?

Do not use the adapter cables, too much potential for problems and then there's the potential for damaging the TS-20 with phantom power.

• Members

Why? The inputs are 1/4"... he can just pick up a 4ch TS patch snake.

EDIT: Andy clarified.

My brain aint working sorry wasn't thinking right I was thinking the direct out on the TD-20 were balanced TRS it been almost year since I set up a TD-20 kit.

Sorry bout that mis-infornmation. :o

• Members

okie doke.. looks like I have my list of stuff.

4 Channel Passive D.I. From Audiopile

4 10ft TS cables

4 3 ft xlr cables to go from the d.i. to the snake..

Might even pick up 3 or 4 additional direct boxes. One for the Keyboard(runs mono out from a ts to xlr cable), one for the bass(uses pre out into the mixer but is on the hotter side) , and another 2 for the guitar players( one runs pre out to the mixer with a ground loop issue, and the other runs from his cheap pedal through a conversion cable to the mixer)..

• Members

My brain aint working sorry wasn't thinking right I was thinking the direct out on the TD-20 were balanced TRS it been almost year since I set up a TD-20 kit.

Sorry bout that mis-infornmation.
:o

Even if they were balanced out, the DI is unbalanced in only. A floating ring may not work properly.

• Members

4 10ft TS cables

Might even pick up 3 or 4 additional direct boxes. One for the Keyboard(runs mono out from a ts to xlr cable), one for the bass(uses pre out into the mixer but is on the hotter side) , and another 2 for the guitar players( one runs pre out to the mixer with a ground loop issue, and the other runs from his cheap pedal through a conversion cable to the mixer)..

There you go, simple and reliable solution.

• Members

There you go, simple and reliable solution.

Amazingly everything buy my td-20 set has been set up like this since the new system was installed.. And phantom power has magically gotten turned on a few times(b4 I started running the mixer full time).. How nothing has had problems is a miracle.. But I am protecting my baby(Roland Set) I pieced it together used, but It still cost and arm and a leg.. Sounds pretty good live though.

• Members

4 10ft TS cables

Why not mic the guitar amps?

• Members

3 ft is plenty..

You say this now, but there comes a time and place when you're going to need an extra couple feet. It's easy to coil up the excess, it's tricky to run and get longer cables.

• Members

Why not mic the guitar amps?

one runs direct without a guitar amp, the other isnt used a whole lot and so we just run pre out..

Considering funds are limited like they are, its really just cheaper then buying sm57s..

And 3 ft will be plenty.. I understand your point but considering this is an installed system in the church, Nothing will be moved.. Wont be getting a bigger rack or anything.. And worst come to worst.. I might get longer cables someday down the road.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

We run the 8 outs into 8 channels on the board via a TRS to XLR patch snake. We like having more control over the mix at FOH.

Old thread I know, but have you run into issues doing this? Specifically phantom power related or signal degradation issues since you aren't using a DI box.

I am just now switching to running 5 direct outs (kick/snare/hi-hat/toms/cymbals) to the board instead of 1 out from my master on my TD-20. The reason is because we got a bigger mixer now, heh.

I've never had any issues with running from the master out on the TD-20 to a mic input without a DI (have for 2 years now...) but I want to be sure that will still be the case now that I am running direct outs on the TD-20 to the mixer. I am thinking of getting a 6 channel 1/4" to 1/4" patch snake (5 for the kit, 1 will be a send back for my monitor) and plugging in via the 1/4" line ins on the board instead of the mic inputs to avoid any potential phantom power issues.

Thoughts?

• Members

Yes... I know, the dreaded B word. But that should do the trick, right?

Nope, wrong tool for the job.

PASSIVE TRANSFORMER ISOLATED. This is an active DI and I do not think it's isolate either not checked but at that price you can't put 8 isolation transformers in a box along with the other crap.

Archived