Case Question

• Members

I'm about to buy a case from audiopile's website for my MixWiz and I know this must sound like a stupid question, but can anyone tell me how many spaces you need to fit EQs in? Is 1 space meant for one piece of gear? Basically, what size box would I need for the MixWiz + (2) 2 channel 31EQs?

• Members

It depends...

Some eq's are one space, they tend to have short throw faders.

Many eq's are two spade, these tend to have longer throw faders.

And some two channel EQ's with long throw faders use 3 spaces.

Confusing? Of course!

Do you have EQ's in mind, or some picked out?

If not, getting 4 spaces on the bottom is a safe bet, and won't make the rack unwieldy. Getting extra spaces is not a bad thing, and it's cheap up front. You may also want to consider if you'll want to add any effects, I have a compressor in my rack along with the EQ's. Good choice on EWI.

• Members

I ordered a 4 space. I kinda wanted to do extra, but I *REALLY* hope not to spend much more on my sound system for another year or two, just cause I've got a lot of learning to do with what I have. Also, when you go any bigger at audiopile there is an extra 40 bucks for the big shipping size. The rack I bought should fit my mix wiz and both eqs nicely. So I'm happy with it. Besides, not having spaces will help me keep my wallet in my pocket!

• Members

Good luck not spending money on your gear for a year or two. We all thought that way once. Live music is a VERY expensive hobby. Just ask my wife.

Don't I know it... I should've taken up fishing.

• Members

Lol don't tell me this now! The order is placed, the money is spent and I don't want to spend anymore (though we all know I will)! My main concern is protecting my mixwiz. I love it like a child, and I want to make sure it grows up big and strong.

• Members

i have my mixwiz in its own box and that alone is heavy enough for me to haul around by hand and lift onto/off of trucks/tables etc. weight management is a problem that gets worse the older i get. i have had to reevaluate/redo several racks/boxes due to weight issues, often splitting larger racks into two smaller racks or simply moving things around till the weight is manageable.

when a rack starts getting much past 80 pounds is where i have to draw the line. leverage plays a large role as well, a good box with good leverage can be heavier than a box with worse leverage i.e. handle placement and weight distribution within the box.

i do have a couple boxes that weigh a lot more than 80 pounds and thank god i dont ever have to lift those by myself more than once in a while. after stripping down/moving everything into 8 space or smaller racks my heaviest box is under 150 pounds but most are 80 pounds or less.

• Members

i have my mixwiz in its own box and that alone is heavy enough for me to haul around by hand and lift onto/off of trucks/tables etc. weight management is a problem that gets worse the older i get. i have had to reevaluate/redo several racks/boxes due to weight issues, often splitting larger racks into two smaller racks or simply moving things around till the weight is manageable.

I agree! Luckily, most the time I'm moving gear with other band members so I don't have to lift much myself. The HPR181s and 152s are bad enough.

We need a Jetsons breakthrough, hover dollies.

• Members

I emailed audiopile, but maybe they've taken off for the holiday?

Holiday? What, where, how?

Man... I need to get a calendar... and discipline myself to look at it more than every-other season.

BTW: Within the last couple of hours, I was informed by the crew, and our UPS driver, that Monday is a holiday. First I'd heard of it.

So... I guess it's 3 days till "Monday" this coming weekend workweek.

• Members

Yeah always buy the bigest case you can afford, at least as far as FOH mixer racks are concerned.

I'm assuming that would be with the lightest amps you can find. My mixer stack would benefit from casters, but then I couldn't stack it on my power amp stack for height. Those Peavey ipr amps are looking pretty good right now. (100 lb saving)

• Members

Holiday? What, where, how?

Man... I need to get a calendar... and discipline myself to look at it more than every-other season.

BTW: Within the last couple of hours, I was informed by the crew, and our UPS driver, that Monday is a holiday. First I'd heard of it.

So... I guess it's 3 days till "Monday" this coming weekend workweek.

Does this mean you are working all weekend? I need some cables.

Archived