Peer Review

• Members

Hey guys,

So I'll be running sound for my band on the 24th for the first time from FOH with a snake. I think I'd like to get everything set up and then post pictures and/or video and get some post-show advice/criticism from you guys.

I'm also hoping my LED wash lights will come in time for this show so I can get some feedback on that placement.

Is there anything in particular I should do so you guys can get an idea of how the sound / set up was?

• Members

Maybe get a pro in to it record for you
:lol:
?

Seriously most videos sound MUCH worse than the gig actually did
:(

I know! Its crappy. I thought maybe I could just hook up the MixWiz mono out to my digital 8track. But I guess that won't be mixed very well for recording.

I REALLY want to pay a guy to come do sound for us live. But finding one I can trust would be tough.

• Members

Even if you put a 58 up out in the audience and record that, you will still get a representation of what your audience is hearing. You might try that route before hiring someone else to do similar.

I could manage that.

• Members

If you want to make a video for forum feedback, it might be useful to spend a few minutes before the music starts pointing the camera at your gear and talking us through your settings and thinking for the setup. A quick tour of what gear you are using and some close-ups of channel strips and graphic eq's maybe. Try to get in impression of the room shape, your FOH position relative to the band, etc. Video will be worth 10,000 words and it saves you Q&A time in the forum after you start getting people's suggestions.

• Members

If you want to make a video for forum feedback, it might be useful to spend a few minutes before the music starts pointing the camera at your gear and talking us through your settings and thinking for the setup. A quick tour of what gear you are using and some close-ups of channel strips and graphic eq's maybe. Try to get in impression of the room shape, your FOH position relative to the band, etc. Video will be worth 10,000 words and it saves you Q&A time in the forum after you start getting people's suggestions.

I can definitely do this. I have one of those flip cameras, makes doing stuff like this a breeze. I'll just zoom in on everything from the mixer and eqs down the snake to the stage. I do really want to get feedback on the room shape and how I handle it, cause it is a weird layout.

• Members

I was running sound from stage one night and left to do my usual audience check. The mix was almost exactly where I wanted it and I happened to have my Flip with me. Took a minute or two and returned to stage.

Ouch! That Flip just didn't cut it. I was going to play it for the band to let them see how great we sounded - never did. It did give representative levels but the audio quality was poor.

But who knows, maybe I had my finger over the mic:)

Good luck on your show, and remember to keep drinks and drunks away from your desk - on breaks as well.

Archived