EQ one Channel

• Members

There is literally an input called "insert" on each channel strip. Use an insert cable. the 1/4" goes to the vocal channel "insert" input and the XLR goes to the in and out of the EQ.

Doing this puts the EQ in the signal path of the channel. Usually you put compression or effects units here.

• Members

Oh ok, I see what you guys are saying.

Coaster- Normally I wouldn't do this at all, but its just for the practice space I was talking about not too long ago. So I can get the lead vocals as loud as possible while ringing out the feedback from the mains. I wouldn't use this in a live setting.

• Members

yes that is the basic concept but i think you may be on the wrong track here. if you just want to do this to learn about it and have fun then ok, go do it.

but i think you would be better off solving problems in other ways rather than hacking your vox mic to shreds.

• Members

yes that is the basic concept but i think you may be on the wrong track here. if you just want to do this to learn about it and have fun then ok, go do it.

but i think you would be better off solving problems in other ways rather than hacking your vox mic to shreds.

Well what might you suggest instead of doing this? I mean our other option is headphones, which I'd REALLY love to do. But getting the guys to go out and buy decent headphones is a chore.

• Members

i dont know your exact situation but my practice space is a less than ideal situation and we get adequate monitoring volume through traditional techniques. we actually have NO EQ other then low mid high on the mixer.

playing through wedges helps, not playing loud, mic position relative to speakers.

and dont expect miracles. it doesnt need to sound like a tv mix when you practice.

• Members

Ug, I hate headohones for practice. OP, just use the EQ after the main output, don't bother as an insert.

Or as a Main insert. You'll see you have one of those too, which is the same concept. Everything going out of the main output loops through the EQ first.

• Members

SSH, keep it simple. Take the outputs on the MixWiz into the DBX and then to your speakers.

Use the EQ to notch out any feedback and/or bad frequencies from your mains. Most of all, don't get carried away with trying to notch everything. If it sounds good with the EQ set flat, then don't touch it. If you do use it, just a little dab will do ya.

Now, if you don't like the sound coming from that particular mic (doesn't matter if it's vocals/guitar etc), use the channel strip to tweak that sound. Same principle applies. Just a little. The MixWiz EQ is very, very good. I couldn't believe how well it works!

Johnny

• Members

Instead of headphones have them each get a set of M-Audio IE10 earbuds. They are only $100.

1) They can use them for rehearsal.

2) Those who don't move around much on stage can use them as wired IEMs instead of using a monitor wedge. (Or they can use them with any wireless IEM system.)

3) They'll have something that actually has very good fidelity (better than most folks' car or home systems), so they'll have a reasonable idea of what albums really sound like (it's not all boom and sizzle like they are used to hearing - and they'll be able to tell that some albums sound really good and some sound really bad).

• Members

I have inserted a 31 band EQ into a channel when using a Lav mic in an otherwise high volume environment - but that's the only time.

As mentioned, try mic/speaker positioning first (think walls and other acoustics while you're doing this). If you can't get enough GBF at practice, either 1) your vocalist needs mic tecnique/singing lessons, 2) you are all playing too loud or 3) your practice space acoustic environment sucks. Fix these three problems and you're done.

• Members

On the other hand....

I still say turn it down.

I just finished a gig today (and a rehearsal Tuesday) with the drummer that usually works with Jerry Doucette (a venerable Canadian rocker). Today he (and I) worked with an R&B band.. Marco can bash with the best of them but he can also tailor his volume to suit the occasion.

Subs, you guys might want to at least try coming down a bit in your practice room - it would make things easier.

Here's a link to Jerry's "hit" Mama Let Him Play (with Marko on drums)

BTW it does sound dubbed, but you get the idea.

• Members

SSH, keep it simple. Take the outputs on the MixWiz into the DBX and then to your speakers.

Use the EQ to notch out any feedback and/or bad frequencies from your mains. Most of all, don't get carried away with trying to notch everything. If it sounds good with the EQ set flat, then don't touch it. If you do use it, just a little dab will do ya.

Now, if you don't like the sound coming from that particular mic (doesn't matter if it's vocals/guitar etc), use the channel strip to tweak that sound. Same principle applies. Just a little. The MixWiz EQ is very, very good. I couldn't believe how well it works!

Johnny

Do this :thu:

Archived