Fog - A Few Questions

• Members

How does Fog impact your equipment on stage?

How does it impact your performance on stage?

How does it impact your vocals?

Do you like the added effect or does it look cheese?

Just curious about your opinions as sound guys and live performers.

• Members

Are you saying don't get one BECAUSE people also smoke? Or just in general don't. Cause in CA we can't smoke here.

I think you're saying that it leaves crap in the air even after the effect is gone?

• Members

PROS:

1. looks cool, adds an effect to lighting

CONS:

1. GACKS everything.

2. no long term exposure studies to human airways has been done, but my guess is it cannot be good for you to breathe that crap

3. sets off MANY fire alarms.

• Members

I think there is a big difference between "fog" and "haze." Fog has a taste and a particulate feel in the back of my throat. I've never been offended by oil or water-based haze. You don't need to use very much haze at all to make the lights look good - I don't think I'd even invest in any kind of moving light fixtures without haze. No smoking in MN bars and WI just turned, too. Thankfully.

• Members

a hazer is much better than just a fog machine from what i've seen.

Yup get yourself a hazer thats DMX controllable that way if theres too much smoke in the air from cigs you can turn it down.

My opinion is that it's a must have if your doing any effects lighting.

• Members

If you have lights that move a hazer/fogger is a MUST , without it they have very little effect . plus it gives any par cans more effect . Now hazers can be expensive, What I did was kinda tun my fogger into a hazer by using a timer and a fan to distribute the fog over a large area creating a haze effect , makes my intelligent lighting really pop

• Members

It Depends.

There are numerous types of fogger/hazers out there.

Foggers in general are pretty nasty. They are a heavier particulate (or dropplet) and leave a film of crud all over everything. The worst I've seen is a powdered type, where you cook the powder off into big billows of smoke. The inside of of our fan cooled amps clogged up in a matter of weeks (players complained about the finish on their instruments after just a few hours of exposure).

Hazers on the other hand are MUCH better. Most use a mineral oil (that at the worst MIGHT give you diarrhea if you ingested too much). They don't seem to effect peoples throat (because it's not dry smoke but atmomized mineral oil) and the mist is so fine that what residue there is is minimal (if you clean your equipment annually, you'll be fine). The best hazer around (but horribly cost prohibitive) is called a water cracker. It uses only purified water and atomizes it. I'd guess it doesn't work very well on a hot day in the dessert. They are a maintenence nightmare with giant drums of distilled water, highly pressurised water lines being run up into the truss, clogged nozzles (the orfices are so small and it's almost impossible to get all of the minerals out of the water (think idle jets on a tiny carberetor)). They will do the least harm and look great when they work properly.

IMHO Lights look 500% better with some kind of haze so there's your tradeoff.

• Members

Work on getting your light rig together before you worry about haze.

A little goes a long way, and too much is a bitch. I mimic the other comments, where haze is better than fog, and is a must if you have any moving lights. Otherwise, it depends.

• Members

Check with the local authorities and club owner. Here in Illinois we have a full smoking ban in bars. Many of those bars have very sensitive smoke and fire detectors. We stopped using hazers at all but the biggest shows because we have had the fire alarm triggered in more then one venue.

Hazers are better then fog and make lights look much better but they can effect the throats of people that breathe to much in.

Archived