• Members

What do you have now? Do you own a board with 4 auxes or do you need to start from scratch? You would need a board that is capable of doing what you need, 5 transmitters, 5 receivers, upgraded ear buds.

The lowest end you should consider is the Shure PSM200. It is mono and this is what my band uses. We are very happy with them. Good and loud with no droppouts in the 5 or 6 years we have used them. Many people would prefer the Sennheiser or Audio Technica offerings. I hear people palking about the better quality sound of units other then the PSM200 but we are satisfied enough not to consider changing at this time.

Stereo feeds will require stereo auxes and more wiring. It is also possible to sent two separate mono feeds through a stereo transmitter so that might save a little cash in the long run. Not sure if $5000 will actually cover 5 transmitters/receivers if you also need the board to run them. Most stock earbuds are not very good so you might need at add at least $100 per receiver for better buds.

• Members

You can look into the stereo units that will send two mono feeds. That way you would need 3 transmitters and 5 receivers for 5 mixes. 4 mixes can get by with two stereo transmitters.

2 AT M3s ($800 each) and three additional receivers ($450 each) plus upgraded buds ($100 each) will serve you greatly. That is about $3000 (MSRP) so street prices should be better.

• Members

What is the cheapest way to cover a 5 piece band with good ears? Shure or Sennheiser. I have looked at many ways to do this and I feel like 5 different mixes is a not only a lot of trouble buy there is money to be saved with just four mixes.

:blah:
:blah:

Before taking and running with any recommendations, I would look long and hard at how much you really want to get into in-ears, and then if you really are set on it, look at things again erasing the word 'cheapest' from your vocabulary.

There are ways to minimize costs with anything, but bottom line, in-ears are not a budget endeavor.

Also, if you already have a board with 6 auxes, you don't need to concern yourself with trying to compromise with 4 mixes instead of 5, and you'll not save much money (if any) in doing so.

Assuming that mixer works, you 'only' need 5 sets of in-ear unit/buds.

5 PSM200s plus upgraded buds...should fit easily in your $2-3k preference.

• CMS Author

I have a board with 6 auxes already.

Six pre-fader auxes? What board?

I wouldn't worry about earbuds. Make that aspect the sole responsibility of each wearer, since they are NOT transferable once worn. Unless your band is into sharing earwax:eek:. At any rate, let the band member at least be responsible for that aspect, which will save many hundreds. Good buds run $200-400. Custom molds, highly recommended, are about $150 more.

• Members

5 PSM200s plus upgraded buds...should fit easily in your $2-3k preference.

Not sure how the RF interference potential is in your area, but this suggestion doesn't leave you much room for changing channels, if necessary. I've run 4 PSM200's at once, but per the instruction manual, Shure recommends no more than 4 units simultaneously. Just something to consider. :wave:

• CMS Author

Not sure how the RF interference potential is in your area, but this suggestion doesn't leave you much room for changing channels, if necessary. I've run 4 PSM200's at once, but per the instruction manual, Shure recommends no more than 4 units simultaneously. Just something to consider.
:wave:

Correct:

http://www.shure.com/idc/groups/public/documents/webcontent/wireless_compatibility_psm200.pdf

• Members

You may consider saving a little by going wired for your rhythm section, if they don't move around a lot. I got my stereo PSM400-wired on ebay for about $100, and I don't feel constrained on stage.

If you got it that cheap it is because it is in the illegal frequency range. Good luck when they actually start using those freqs in your area. Lots of illegal units were all over eBay & Craigslist.

• Members

Not sure how the RF interference potential is in your area, but this suggestion doesn't leave you much room for changing channels, if necessary. I've run 4 PSM200's at once, but per the instruction manual, Shure recommends no more than 4 units simultaneously. Just something to consider.
:wave:

You're assuming all 5 will be wireless units.

• Members

If you got it that cheap it is because it is in the illegal frequency range. Good luck when they actually start using those freqs in your area. Lots of illegal units were all over eBay & Craigslist.

A wired unit doesn't have frequency issues/restraints, so the wired PSM400 schismpuk is referring to should be fine.

Or have I completely missed something obvious that I'll feel foolish about in retrospect?

• Members

I wasn't aware that wired units were in violation of the FCC changes. Thanks for the information.

:poke:

• Members

OK. I guess the PSM400 is ONLY wired? Wow, I thought the transmitter does wired AND wireless. I guess my cell phone isn't wireless either if I plug in earphones. Here's a brochure for ya...

http://www.shure.com/idc/groups/public/documents/webcontent/us_pro_brochure_psm_earphones.pdf

Here's their site:

http://www.shure.com/americas/products/personal-monitor-systems/psm400/index.htm

You are still buying an illegal wireless unit but you are using it wired. What part of that don't you understand?

• Members

http://www.shure.com/americas/products/personal-monitor-systems/psm400/p4hw-psm400-wired-bodypack

This is the product I own. There are no components that transmit or receive radio frequencies.

Wow, I thought the transmitter does wired AND wireless.

It probably does. Good thing I don't own the transmitter. Good thing I only own the wired receiver, that doesn't have anything to do with the wireless transmitter.

What part of tha.... wait, there's no point in continuing this dick-measuring.

• Members

Sorry, your post mentioned a PSM400. That is not what you bought. You bought the P4HW. The PSM400 is a wired or wireless transmitter. You are just talking about a wired belt pack.

What you have is a great deal at $100 but it isn't a PSM400 as you stated.

What you mentioned will work fine for a wired solution for the OP.

• Members

A wired unit doesn't have frequency issues/restraints, so the wired PSM400 schismpuk is referring to should be fine.

Or have I completely missed something obvious that I'll feel foolish about in retrospect?

He wasn't talking a PSM400 he was talking just the P4HW. The P4HW would work for a wired solution.

Archived