• Members

He wasn't talking a PSM400 he was talking just the P4HW. The P4HW would work for a wired solution.

Ah.

He specified the wired version in the post you were replying to, so that's what I went by as opposed to straight model #.

Didn't realize Shure made models which were bi-modal: mine is the equivalent of the hard-wired (only) PSM600, then.

• Members

P2R (body pack that goes with the PSM 200 system) can be both used wired OR wireless. That's the only one, as far as I know.

The P4HW is a wired only belt pack. The P2 can be used either way. Not sure why the P4 is considered a part of the PSM400 system since it looks like it can be used independent of the PSM400.

• Members

The P4HW is a wired only belt pack. The P2 can be used either way. Not sure why the P4 is considered a part of the PSM400 system since it looks like it can be used independent of the PSM400.

It's because it contains the same features of the wireless 400 bodypack (Stereo, Mono, Mixmode, HF EQ bump) whereas the P2 is mono 1/4" input only and doesn't have the LCD.

• Members

Look into Mipro.

I used a PSM200 and had several problems: narrow dynamics, mono, narrow freq, dropouts, plastic receiver, battery compartment weird, noisy, etc etc. So I sold it and went back to conventional monitors.

Then a guy convinced me to try out Mipro, after assuring it was way better. I was very sceptical, but took the chance after being promised return if it didn't work. Now I have nice clear quality stereo sound from from a stable light metal beltpack with no droputs tru meters of solid concrete practicing in a bomb room.

It's night and day.

• Members

Really? We use 4 PSM200s and in over 5 years we have NEVER had a single dropout or noise in the system. It must be your area. We chose the PSM200s because they were mono. We saw no advantage or need for stereo IEMs. The dynamics are great with crisp highs and deep lows. That, of course, depends on the quality of the earbuds. Once we learned the little workaround to defeat the quick limiters we are still not even considering an upgrade. I do know there are better units out there but we see no shortcomings that would make us want to change at this time.

• Members

Definitely definitely go with IEMs. My band just got all of our stuff and we are SO happy with it. We wanted a way for all 4 of us to have separate in-ear mixes, wirelessly.

We got the new personus studio live board and it gives full control of 6 aux sends. By the way if anyone is in the market for a board, get the studio live hands down.

Those aux sends got to our audio technica m2ms. Go ahead and toss the headphones that come with it or with any wireless system because they're useless. If you're going to go IEMs, get custom fitted headphones. I recommend Ultimate Ears. They will blow you away guaranteed. The AT m2ms are nice because of the ambient mic feature, and they're relatively inexpensive. Obviously the headphones are useless, but you could pick up a studio live board, some m2ms, and UE's for everyone for right around $5k. You can get UE to come down on price a good bit-just give them a call. And sweet water can hook you up on the other stuff for an awesome price and you'd be set.

• Members

Definitely definitely go with IEMs.

I'm with you 100% on this one! I finally received the custom ear buds I ordered roughly 3 weeks ago - and have been using them daily since then. I use them with my iPod several hours each day while at work. I've been using them while playing my keyboard rig at home - and of course whenever I'm playing with one of music projects. I've gotten very comfortable wearing them ... both from a fit perspective as well with the sense of isolation (and there is definitely that sense!).

I "feed" my IEMs in one of two ways. When playing with bands - I run an aux send from the FOH mixer that carries my "band mix" (everything I want minus keyboards) to my keyboard mixer - and then use the AUX send on my keyboard mixer to feed a total mix (band mix AND keyboards) through a Shure PSM200 wireless transmitter/bodypack system. When I'm playing my rig along at home - I simply run a headphone extension cable to the phone jack on my mixer (saves on batteries).

It took a couple of gigs to get the gain structure right and to dial in the band mix ... but now - I can honestly say I've never heard myself better. I'm still running through an amp on stage - which is necessary since my bandmates aren't using IEMs. This weekend I placed my speakers so that they could hear me. I heard myself and more importantly, the rest of the band, better than I ever have - which was reflected in my playing. Even my bandmates noticed it! I wish I'd have done this years ago!

Archived