Need multipin connector recommendation

• Members

I have a MixWiz 16.2 in a separate case. The rest of my rack gear is in another case. I would like to be able to have one connector/cable to connect the two. In the rack gear case there is a CD player, TC M1 and a DBX 1231. I run everything in stereo. Is there any standard connectors used for this type of hook up? It would sure make things easier.

Thanks

• Members

I had good luck with the 32 channel version of this.

http://audiopile.net/products/Electronics/PFQ-101/PFQ-101.shtml

You need a console case with a doghouse to keep the patch snake connected, but then you just plug the one cable in and you are done. I used it for years with no failure and would have it today had I not gone digital.

• Members

I had good luck with the 32 channel version of this.

You need a console case with a doghouse to keep the patch snake connected, but then you just plug the one cable in and you are done. I used it for years with no failure and would have it today had I not gone digital.

The EDAC connectors are within my budget. While it would be nice to have a Whirlwind MASS connector, at over $100 an end it is not in my budget at this time.

I have a case for the console. I figure I would fab a mounting plate for it and put a multipin receptacle right on the case, the same for the rack case. This way I have a cable that plugs into both pieces. I will also make a backup cable.

• Members

I went to an electronic surplus shop and bought several old amphenol military spec multipins for $1-2 each and just soldered up my own. I got my cable from a friend who does church installs. He often has anywhere from 50-100' left over off of the spool.

• Members

The milspec Amphenol or Cannon connectors are the way to go. They are often available surplus, or used from aircraft salvage yards. My preference is for the type with removable crimp pins rather than soldered connections. They require specific tools for assembly and removal, but are much easier to work on a high density connector. In the long run they are worth the expense.

The EDAC connectors are not as robust, but are more common in audio, and can be used with accesories such as the EWI patch bay previously mentioned.

Archived