Universal Mic Clip

• Members

Is there a mic clip which works with hand held wired mics such as a Shure Beta 58 and with a hand held wireless mic? I looked around and I see some advertised as universal, but they seem to be universal for hand held wired mics or universal for hand held wireless mics, but I'm not sure they're for both.

• Members

There might be universals for wired and universals for wireless but the width's are different between the two.

Yes, I realize that, but there are those butterfly type clips and some of them say "universal." I'm not sure if they're saying they're universal for wired, wireless, or both.

• Members

those butterfly hinged spring clips are terrible. unless you use a bolt and wing nut through them the mic will end up on the floor, and if you tightne the bolt then the mic wont come out of the clip.

every mic i have bought has come with a clip, and i use that clip with that mic. i dont understand when folks leave all their clips on the stands permanently and then break the clip in the truck; take the clip off the stand and store it with the mic.

• Members

every mic i have bought has come with a clip, and i use that clip with that mic. i dont understand when folks leave all their clips on the stands permanently and then break the clip in the truck; take the clip off the stand and store it with the mic.

I leave the clips for 57/58's on the stands because I have lots of spares, but they rarely get broken. All the other clips are stored with the mics.

• Members

i carry my own mics a lot but almost never my own stands. i store my own stands without clips and carry the clips with the mics. this is a huge problem more often than not as most hands are used to leaving the clips on the stands - and unless i am a nazi about retrieving my clips after every show i will lose them.

on a strange note, i had a hand actually unscrew a neutrick xlr while attached to a mic about a week ago. she was trying to remove the cable from the mic. i was very patient with her but i was very frustrated too.

• Members

Yes, I realize that, but there are those butterfly type clips and some of them say "universal." I'm not sure if they're saying they're universal for wired, wireless, or both.

It's probably the only way they sell them is to market them that way.

• Members

+1 for the rubberised ones. I think Beyer puts their label on some pretty good ones (they're probably all made in china). Peavey makes some that are OK but they don't have a friction adjust screw at the swivel point so when they get loose, they're toast.

Stay away from the butteerfly clips, IMHO they just plain suck. They will hold a wide variety of mics - sort of. As stated, mics fall out of them, they break easily and they won't hold a heavy mic at all. Stay Away!

I tend to leave the clips on the stands because:

1) they rarely break as they don't go on the road.

2) the threads of mic stands are made for planned obsolesence so the less you screw & unscrew them the better (this is the same reason I never remove the cast basses (again, they don't go on the road so storage isn't an issue)).

3) I have a dedicated Kick, Hat, Snare, OH L&R stands and usualy use the same mics, so why go through the extra effort & time (The B-52 kick mic has a quick disconnect to save the threads of the mic). There are of coures times when you gotta change clips for some specialty mics or for the rare occasion they do break but it sure is a wear & tear and time saver.

There are a few special sized mics that I have gaffed the clip to the mic (so as not to loose them) F.I. M88, D112, C451s. Also I will almost always remove a iso suspension mount as they will break pretty easily (you also have to change out the elastic periodicly as they stretch & sag over time).

Archived