How do you guys prepare for an outdoor gig?

• Members

With a heavy dynamic load, not sure the regulation would be all that good. You are using 2 HPR tops and subs right? I don't think this is enough, though the regulation is pretty good w/ the inverter type.

Yes 2 HPR153 2 HPR181 and the MixWiz. So I'd need a step up you think?

• Members

My 3000 recently powered an outdoor show for 300 people. I had:

XTI4000 on a pair of QRX212 tops (2000 watts roughly)

XTI6000 on four LS1208s subs (5000 watts roughly)

4 ATW3000 wireless mics

4 AT M3 IEMS

3 floor FX units for musos

1 Fender 60 watt guitar amp

I left the economizer mode off, and never got an overload light. We ran this way in 100

• Members

My 3000 recently powered an outdoor show for 300 people. I had:

XTI4000 on a pair of QRX212 tops (2000 watts roughly)

XTI6000 on four LS1208s subs (5000 watts roughly)

4 ATW3000 wireless mics

4 AT M3 IEMS

3 floor FX units for musos

1 Fender 60 watt guitar amp

I left the economizer mode off, and never got an overload light. We ran this way in 100

• Members

Hey guys, all great tips so far!

Sorry I wasn't very clear on the gig. Luckily, this just has me with my QSCs and MixWiz out in a field. No stage, no instruments. Its basically gonna be a DJ gig. Maybe one wireless mic.

By the way... Honda Generator in Sacramento:
http://www.allstarrents.com/AllStarRents/ProductCatalog.htm

$40 for a day.

Be VERY careful running a system on a generator. Second warning...:thu:

• Members

I just did a small country-lot acoustic-guitar gig for roughly 40 people. I ran two LED Rain light fixtures, a Soundcraft EFX-8, two mics, and an NX55p. Ran it all off a 12v deep-cycle battery and a 1500w Xantrex MSW inverter. Sounded great, ran for 6-7 hours, and zero issues. We got a LOT of compliments on the sound.

• Members

You have no idea how wrong you can go (yet).

Well the park is pretty close to my house, I guess I could just run like 102 extension cords from an outlet in my livingroom.

What would you recommend Aged? Hiring the job out to a professional? I guess I could sell all my gear and do that...

• Members

It can be done safely but too many people have used generators that were not rated high enough or that did not give enough power and it fried some of their components.

Make sure its output will handle what you need and it delivers consistent energy and you

• Members

The minimum I would even attempt to use is the 3000 watt inverter type or the 5000 watt standard type, small ghost load and the economizer switched off. I would also connect the generator frame to a known good earth ground, driven or otherwise.

Andy,

I'm curious about the "ghost load". Are you referring to something like a light-bulb? and, what is the purpose of the ghost load?

Thanks

• Members

Hi SSH

I read your post this morning, and I too am a little leary about that Generator.

I have a Honda 3000. that I have when the power goes off, and for power in the field. I would not use that for powering my rig.

I have the same set-up as you. MixWiz-QSC HPR 118 subs-QSC HPR 153 tops.

I would lean towards a 5-6 KW unit.

BTW.

You mentioned you are using the MixWiz for this DJ gig.

Something to consider. I've been asked in the past to bring "music" to an event. I also used the MixWiz, and then I saw someone on the HC For Sale forum selling a Mackie 1202 VLZ pro for $100.

It's perfect.

Just tuck it under your arm, and it's great for running music, and a few mics

(For your drunk Karaoke)

• Members

Hi SSH

I read your post this morning, and I too am a little leary about that Generator.

I have a Honda 3000. that I have when the power goes off, and for power in the field. I would not use that for powering my rig.

I have the same set-up as you. MixWiz-QSC HPR 118 subs-QSC HPR 153 tops.

I would lean towards a 5-6 KW unit.

BTW.

You mentioned you are using the MixWiz for this DJ gig.

Something to consider. I've been asked in the past to bring "music" to an event. I also used the MixWiz, and then I saw someone on the HC For Sale forum selling a Mackie 1202 VLZ pro for $100.

It's perfect.

Just tuck it under your arm, and it's great for running music, and a few mics

(For your drunk Karaoke)

That is a good idea... I'd like to not have to bring the whole mixer out! The larger gennys aren't much more so I'll check out the 6kw ones.

• Members

That is a good idea... I'd like to not have to bring the whole mixer out! The larger gennys aren't much more so I'll check out the 6kw ones.

WOW!

I finally gave some good advice on this forum

Now I'm going going to raise my arms up, and to quote George Kastanza...

"I'm Outta here"

• Members

Better bring a friend or two. If you have to go wee-wee, leaving your rig alone in a park in Sacramento is a sure way to make your ride home lighter. Hell, even just walking back and forth to your vehicle while load-in and load-out leaves stuff open to theft.

FOR SURE. Luckily I have two good friends that are big guys, and know how to watch something without touching it. :D

• Members

I like to rent one of these

They are super quiet and easy to use. Probaly overkill for you but if your playing at night and need lighting, the extra power comes in handy. It's not much more to rent a bigger one 100kw+.

That's the actual one I get every year.

Sunbelt donates it to us for our Oktoberfest

Oh yeah....I didn't mention its the Penryn Fire Dept 9th annual Oktoberfest

in beautiful Penryn.

October 9th. 12-10

Three bands, and it's FREE!

Just up the road on I-80 between Rocklin and Auburn.

How's that for a commercial?

That is a great generator.

It powers the full PA and lights, and the beer wagon.

Archived