Anybody here collect older sound equipment?

• Members

I don't mean stuff laying around that you haven't gotten around to selling but actually collect period equipment like the 60's green face Altec mixers, Voice of the Theater speakers, Shure four channel mixers like used in Woodstock, some of the old large tube power amps etc.. Just wondering.

• Members

Yes, mostly unintentionally.

Same here.

Having said that... I did end up with a very cool lighting console... probably built in the mid '70's. There's no doubt in my mind it probably toured with the top acts in it's day. Maybe I can get around to digging it out and posting some pictures after this weekends activities.

Also, it's looking like a might inherit 3 ea. 1948 vintage Voice of the Theater stacks... original & mint.

And: I still have the first piece of sound gear I was ever given, which is an Atlas Sound straight mic stand (all chrome). I was gifted the stand (cause it was old & broken) in '73 by a school principal at one of the first professional gigs I played (our band supplied "entertainment" between bouts for a Jr. Miss contest).

And: I have some other really aged PA gear (amps, speakers, and mic) salvaged out of a bowling alley... circa '20's I believe.

And: I have 16ea. original in sealed factory boxes Altec 15" cone drivers... which I believe were mfg. sometime in the mid '60's.

And: 2ea. stacks of JBL 4550's, dual 4560's and choice of 2370 or 2395 horns with 2441 drivers... all factory original... circa 1974.

One thing I really miss though (even though it would be as useless to me as a bicycle to a fish and I never had it in my possession) is the guitar my grandmother tried to buy me innabout 1963 or '64. As I recall it was a "Fender" (stupid name for a guitar I thought at the time) Stata-something or another... painted some stupid colors of black, orange and yellow... in a case that looked like somebody's underwear (later to understand that's "tweed") with a matching Fender amp... also dressed in tweed underwear... and I didn't want it then cause it was "old"... somewhere around 8-10 years old at the time... and it was heavy and smelled old... so my grandma bought me a new "Stella" for about the same price.:facepalm::facepalm:

• Members

I wouldn't say I collect it. I just don't move it on. I have some older gear from the 70's, a brand of mixer and amp called Husky, amp is rated at 125 a side 8 ohms, goes pretty good still too! I also have some Jands Australia amps (which weigh a ton, two large transformers in each amp) pulled from a cinema in the 80's along with a couple of cool Eminar power amps. I still use some of it for house party's for a bit of fun:)

• Members

I was kind of the guy for servicing those back in the 80's. You are welcome to the docs. if I still have them
;)

I suspect that if you have paperwork on this device, you probably had a hand in building and running it. There was approx. 200 - 300 airline labels on the flightcase when I received it... and some solid silver coinage buried in the case foam... and a number of lighting programs under the board including what seems to be the ZZ Tops Eliminator tour and possibly a Neil Young tour dating back from the Zuma quazi-album era.

• Members

I suspect that if you have paperwork on this device, you probably had a hand in building and running it. There was approx. 200 - 300 airline labels on the flightcase when I received it... and some solid silver coinage buried in the case foam... and a number of lighting programs under the board including what seems to be the ZZ Tops Eliminator tour and possibly a Neil Young tour dating back from the Zuma quazi-album era.

and the circle closes... we built up some semi-custom tube direct boxes for Billy Gibbons back in the Tube Works days. 4001's IIRC.

• Members

I still have my Dad's old Wollensak portable reel to reel recorder.

It's tube (still has the original RCA's)

He bought it so he could send voice recordings back home when he was in Vietnam.

I later discovered it makes a cool preamp for guitar.

Does that count?

• Members

Bought some late 60's Kustom PA cabinets with Altec Lansing OEM woofers in them. Still use them for 90% of our band's gigs. (Modern signal processing and replaced horn drivers to keep up with the Altecs then bi-amped) I know there is better out there, but I've got the looks and a quality of sound they couldn't get in the old days.

I also have a Vox Continental organ. (circa 66, wooden keys.) It was my second organ and still works, but I haven't gigged with it in a few decades. Also have a Kustom 250 guitar amp. Works fine as a piano amp outdoors for small crowds. (Even though it is only about 125 watts RMS.)

• Members

Not pro audio...but I had what turned out to be a small fortune in hi end consumer audio sitting on shelves in my basement for years. I used to do car audio installs back in the 70's. When not busy I would sell home audio for a few extra bucks. Over the years I accumulated quite a few pieces (17) of MacIntosh that were taken in in trade. After no less than 4 moves I finally gave in to my wifes demands to "sell that junk." 15k was a lot of seed money to start my PA.

• Members

I used to have Mac 2300 power amps for my mains. They weighed at least a hundred pounds each, sounded great and were serious power for their day. I just sold off the last Mac pieces that i had last year. Turned out to be a great investment, I was astounded at what I got for them.

• Members

Still in business making esoteric audiophile type of stuff. I had the priviledge of meeting the founder (Gordy Gow) on more than one occasion. Very nice, down to earth fella. I grew up in Binghamton and a few of my friends mom's worked the benches for them. I knew which pieces to shelve, but still had to listen to my wife everytime I moved them to a new house or town. Never did tell her what I got for them LOL

Archived