Speaker Swap

Von Milash

• Members

Hey all

i am replacing the stock speaker in my 6505+ combo to an eminance texas heat. trouble is, i made the mistake of buying a 4 ohm eminance to replace the 16 ohm stock speaker. would i simply flip the switch on the back of the amp to 4 ohm? or am i better off to just return the texas heat 4 ohm and buy a 16 ohm replacement, like the governor? i don't want to cook my amp

Thanks  

• Members

I took a look at the schematic and the manual.   There isn't any fancy wiring there so it should work set to 4 ohms.

you should realize you Cannot connect anything to that second speaker jack now.  Anything you plug in there is going to lower the impedance and you're already on the bottom end at 4 ohms. 

What I suggest you do is send that sucker back for a 16 ohm speaker. Then you can stick the speaker you're pulling out in a second cab. 

You can connect both that way with the amp set for 4 ohms  16+16 in parallel = 8 ohms. 

4+16 ohms in series is 3.2 ohms.  4+16 in series = 20ohms.  Either way its an oddball combination with an impedance too high or too low for anything practical. 

You're better off sending that sucker back now and getting what you should have in the first place which is another 16 ohm speaker. 

• Members
15 hours ago, WRGKMC said:

I took a look at the schematic and the manual.   There isn't any fancy wiring there so it should work set to 4 ohms.

you should realize you Cannot connect anything to that second speaker jack now.  Anything you plug in there is going to lower the impedance and you're already on the bottom end at 4 ohms. 

What I suggest you do is send that sucker back for a 16 ohm speaker. Then you can stick the speaker you're pulling out in a second cab. 

You can connect both that way with the amp set for 4 ohms  16+16 in parallel = 8 ohms. 

4+16 ohms in series is 3.2 ohms.  4+16 in series = 20ohms.  Either way its an oddball combination with an impedance too high or too low for anything practical. 

You're better off sending that sucker back now and getting what you should have in the first place which is another 16 ohm speaker. 

great, thanks. and my buddy i work with said the same thing. a 4 ohm speaker is basically limiting my future options. after some homework, i now understand how that works. 

DeepEnd, the stock speaker is very middy and thin.based on what ive read, anything is better than a sheffield. i like nice thick scooped tones. with that said, the texas heat would be my better option, yes? Thanks

Archived