GREAT MELODY, GREAT LYRIC, GREAT RENDITION

Mark Blackburn

• Members
SUZY BOGGUSS - Letting Go

A country music star in the 1990's - 'discovered' by my life-long guitar hero Chet Atkins (they recorded my favorite version of “After You've Gone”). The lovely sound of Suzy's singing voice stays in your mind's ear, even if you haven't heard it for years. And, if I didn't know better I'd say 'What a coincidence!'

A moment ago on Siriusly Sinatra satellite radio, Nancy Sinatra closed her “Nancy For Frank” program (a re-play from August of 2008) with a song Nancy loved “.... from Suzy Bogguss – 'Letting Go' – which perfectly captures that emotion” said Nancy -- the one parents feel when the kids are suddenly all grown up and leaving home.

Is it at YouTube? Yes, with the video Suzy created for the long defunct “CMT” channel -- where it generated poignant thoughts from kindred spirits – like these:

Jeremy Alan 1 year ago (edited)
I miss the 90s. Suzy is such a great singer and so underrated.

Eddy Martin 3 years ago (edited) This song touches my heart every time I listen to it. God is in control, you have to trust Him to guide your children. Their IS that time when all of us have to let go and trust what we have taught our children with God's blessing, we will be able to watch them grow into adults and be proud that we had a hand in that process.

Charles Hoke 7 years ago I first heard this song when my daughter was 18 and getting ready to go to college. I had to pull the car over till I stopped crying. Years later, in preparation for her wedding, my daughter wrote to Suzy and told her the story. Suzy sent a copy of the CD with a nice inscription. Then, for the father-daughter dance at her wedding, my daughter, unknown to me, chose this song. I was crying like a baby for the whole dance. Later, after a Suzy Bogguss concert, I stood in line to talk to her and thank her for the song and the memories. Very nice.

Edited by Mark Blackburn

• Members

Hit the "back 1 hour" button for Siriusly Sinatra streaming on computer and it's Nancy, with an old (Vietnam era) favorite story song -- HOME -- composed words & music by one of my favorite singer-songwriters of the 1970's. Wikipedia reminds us that Mac Davis left us a year ago this month:

Scott Mac Davis[1] (January 21, 1942 – September 29, 2020) was an American country music singer, songwriter, and actor. A native of Lubbock, Texas, he enjoyed success as a crossover artist,[2] and during his early career he wrote for Elvis Presley, providing him with the hits "Memories", "In the Ghetto", "Don't Cry Daddy", and "A Little Less Conversation". A subsequent solo career in the 1970s produced hits such as "Baby, Don't Get Hooked on Me". Davis also starred in his own variety show, a Broadway musical, and various films and TV shows.

Edited by Mark Blackburn

• Members

SINATRA - Come Rain or Come Shine (1946 radio / 1953 television)

Moments ago on Siriusly Sinatra satellite radio – after her “Playing Favorites” selection of an early version by Frank of Harold Arlen and Johnny Mercer's masterpiece, Come Rain Or Come Shine, Judy Collins returns to say:

"I had an interesting relationship with Frank Sinatra. I only met him a couple of times. One of them was at a big party at his house in Los Angeles; I was invited to this party with The Mamas and The Papas. And as we danced, and drank and …. did whatever people were doing in those days -- suddenly, there was Frank! And I kept thinking, I get a kick out of you!"

The FrankSinatraSongs dot com website alludes to the early (radio?) recording by Frank with what sounded like the Dorsey Orchestra but which I can't find online. Where's a Wise Man when you need one! 

The same website has a video of Frank performing the song 'live' on early black & white TV -- 3-song medley from The “Colgate Comedy Hour" - Frank Sinatra - Come Rain Or Come Shine/World On A String/Black Magic (1953)

Sinatra Family Alumnus Matt Murch responded immediately with the correct Spotify link. The song begins at the 3:10 mark -- the version played by Judy Collins:

https://open.spotify.com/track/22AV3qtfEn40pNKloIY0zU

Edited by Mark Blackburn

• Members

JOE GRANSDEN – She Was Too Good To Me

Middle of the night -- quarter to two – and just had to check channel 71 Sirius/XM to see what I'm missing. After playing my favorite living singer Calabria Foti – her achingly beautiful rendition (from her recent all Cole Porter album) “I Concentrate on You” Siriusly Sinatra is introducing us to someone new – and very good: singer Joe Gransden with Rodgers & Hart's early gem, She Was Too Good To Me. Mostly solo piano accompaniment, with a gorgeous trumpet solo on the musical bridge. Is it at YouTube? Yes. From Joe's “Songs of Sinatra & Friends – With Big Band and Strings” CD.

Edited by Mark Blackburn

• Members

DOYLE DYKES - A Call to Freedom (9/11)

A three minute masterpiece – and maybe my favorite composition by finger-style guitar virtuoso Doyle Dykes. From the opening notes, “like a distress signal” says Doyle – to the closing 'harp' harmonics, and that wonderful strumming upwards to elicit the deep bass tones last, as the sound fades to silence …. what a performance. As always, Doyle may have made a mistake, but I didn't hear it.

The TONE of that instrument is amazing! – a 1958 Gibson J-185, “same guitar body, essentially,” says Doyle “that the Everly Brothers played.” And “similar to a J-200 shape but smaller.” And the attractive split parallelogram inlays on the neck that first appeared on Southern Jumbo (deluxe model) J-45s circa 1941.

Permit an aside: When I interviewed Chet Atkins, on his only visit to my hometown of Ottawa Canada, the summer of '71 -- when he appeared with Boots Randolph and Floyd Cramer at our glorified 'state fair' -- he recommended that I purchase "an old Gibson – but one that's been played a lot” (not kept in a case, unused). “They sound so fine,” said Mr. Atkins. Case in point.

Thanks for sharing, Doyle Dykes. Just listened a second time to A Call to Freedom and got goose bumps all over again! Tears of joy.

Edited by Mark Blackburn

• Members

TONY BENNETT -- All For You

My life-long guitar hero Chet Atkins told me in a 1971 radio interview that the “only autograph” he ever sought was Django Reinhardt's – in NYC, on what would prove to be Django's final days of a visit to America, shortly before his sudden death in 1953, at age 43. Django's most famous – and arguably most beautiful, melody was titled “Nuages” (Clouds).  His considerable Wikipedia entry doesn't mention that Tony Bennett (who turned 95 last month) composed a lovely lyric for the song – which Tony re-titled ALL FOR YOU.   

Mr. Bennett's Facebook page just shared with fans that particular track, from Tony's 2004 album “The Art of Romance” (which won the Grammy for “Best Traditional Pop Vocal Album”).  Still my favorite Tony Bennett album, including as it does my all-time favorite version (with a Johnny Mandel arrangement) of Johnny Mercer's own personal favorite of the many songs he wrote I REMEMBER YOU;  that song, plus this wonderful tune whose melody was already half a century old before Tony came up with just the right words -- and performed so beautifully, you may agree.  

The extended guitar solo on the musical bridge is by my favorite of Tony' jazz guitarists, Gray Sargent – playing his signature model Yamaha electric archtop. 

Edited by Mark Blackburn

• Members

DORIS DAY - Scarlet Ribbons (For Her Hair)

“....just before the dawn was breaking, I peeked in and on her bed, in gay profusion, lying there – lovely ribbons – scarlet ribbons, for her hair. If I live to be two hundred, I will always know from where, came those lovely ribbons, scarlet ribbons for her hair."

It's 2 a.m. and I awoke thinking of a song my Mom loved -- I haven't heard any version in years -- and sure enough: it's playing right now on Siriusly Sinatra satellite radio!

Doris Day's version of Scarlet Ribbons (For Her Hair) which changes the lyric into a statement of Faith. A woman of faith, my Mom always told us, “There ARE no coincidences.” You know what she meant.

The song has a Wikipedia entry (below).

First version at YouTube this night with an endearing slide show and most recent comment from  "Paul Levine"

My grandmother wrote this song. I remember her singing it to me at her piano when I was a kid. I now help produce music festivals. Her passion resonated with me and led me on my path.

"Scarlet Ribbons (For Her Hair)" is a popular song. The music was written by Evelyn Danzig and the lyrics by Jack Segal. The song has become a standard with many recorded versions and has appeared on several Christmas albums. "Scarlet Ribbons" was written in only 15 minutes in 1949 at Danzig's home in Port Washington, New York after she invited lyricist Segal to hear her music.[1] The song tells a miraculous tale: a father hears his small daughter pray before she goes to bed for "scarlet ribbons for her hair". It is late, no stores are open in their town, nor is there anywhere the dad can obtain the ribbons so he is distraught throughout the night. At dawn he again peeps in and is amazed to see beautiful "scarlet ribbons" in "gay profusion lying there." He says that if he lives to be a hundred, he will never know from where the ribbons came.

Edited by Mark Blackburn

• Members

PEGGY LEE – If I Should Lose You

“I gave you my love, and I was living a dream, but living would seem in vain if I lost you …. ”

Somewhere in the basement, in a box with other once-treasured CDs, is THE MAN I LOVE – the Peggy Lee album arranged by Nelson Riddle with “orchestra conducted by Frank Sinatra.” Frank got around to recording it on his “L.A is My Lady” album (1984) with an uptempo Billy May arrangement.

At this moment the Siriusly Sinatra radio graphic streaming on my computer shows the original Peggy Lee album cover for my “other favorite version” of If I Should Lose You – which has its own, single sentence Wikipedia note [below] followed by a long list of favorite artists who recorded it.

"If I Should Lose You" is a song composed by Ralph Rainger, with lyrics by Leo Robin. It was introduced in the 1936 film Rose of the Rancho.[1]

Notable recordings[edit]

Geri Allen – Twenty One (1994) Chet Atkins – Stay Tuned (1985) Georgia Brown − Georgia Brown (1963).[2] Betty Carter − Feed the Fire (1993) June Christy − Day Dreams (1995), Cool Christy (2002) Chick Corea and Stefano Bollani – Orvieto (2010) Fabien Degryse − Fingerswinging (2011) Dena DeRose − I Can See Clearly Now (2000) Jane Ira Bloom – Slalom (1988) Lou Donaldson – Sweet Poppa Lou (1981) Aretha Franklin – Unforgettable: A Tribute to Dinah Washington (1964) The Four Freshmen − Voices in Latin (1958).[3] Grant Green – Born to be Blue (1962) Al Haig − Al Haig Trio (1954) Jan Harbeck Quartet - In the Still of the Night (2008) Dick Haymes − The Complete Capitol Collection (2006), Moondreams (1955) Richard Himber and His Orchestra (vocal by Stuart Allen) - a popular recording in 1936.[4] Shirley Horn – Embers and Ashes (1959) Milt Jackson, Grady Tate, Ray Brown and Oscar Peterson − Ain't But a Few of Us Left (1981) Keith Jarrett − Standards, Vol.2 (1985) Isham Jones and His Orchestra (vocal by Woody Herman) - recorded October 30, 1935 for Decca Records (catalog No. 605B).[5] Peggy Lee − The Man I Love (1957) Booker Little – Booker Little and Friend (1961) Julie London − Sophisticated Lady (1962) Freddy Martin and His Orchestra - recorded for Brunswick Records (catalog 7538) on October 2, 1935.[6] Carmen McRae and George Shearing – Two for the Road (1980) Hank Mobley − Soul Station (1960) Mulgrew Miller − Live at the Kennedy Center, Vol. 1 (2006) Charlie Parker − Charlie Parker with Strings (1950) Oscar Peterson – Tracks (1970) Harry Richman - recorded February 5, 1936 for Decca Records (catalog No. 702B).[7] Kurt Rosenwinkel − Deep Song (2005) Nina Simone − A Single Woman (1993), Wild is the Wind (1966) Frank Sinatra − L.A. Is My Lady (1984) Jimmy Smith – Crazy! Baby (1960) Keely Smith - What Kind of Fool Am I? (1962).[8] Sonny Stitt – Sonny Stitt Plays (1955) Bobby Timmons – From the Bottom (1964) McCoy Tyner – Afro Blue (2007) Dinah Washington – Tears and Laughter (1962)[9]

Edited by Mark Blackburn

• Members

JANE POWELL - Too Late Now

“She starred in 'Seven Brides for Seven Brothers' I said to my Irene, knowing that that movie musical with Jane Powell was one of the first movies my wife ever saw in a theater. “I remember,” she said, “and I liked Jane Powell.”

Her death wasn't announced in any media (that I saw) but my favorite jazz singer/guitarist John Pizzarelli noted her passing yesterday on his live-streamed “It's 5 o'clock Somewhere” Playing for Tips program. John informed fans that Jane Powell “passed this week” and to mark a 70th anniversary, he wanted to play “Too Late Now” – from the film musical “Royal Wedding” (1951) – my favorite ballad by Alan Jay (My Fair Lady) Lerner, and Burton (Finian's Rainbow) Lane. From a gentler time, remember?

Jane Powell's spoken dialogue (with a future member of Sinatra's Rat Pack) is in German! (Who knew?) Posted to YouTube four years ago – the only version offered this day.

Pizzarelli, John and Jessica -- their 'live' show yesterday (9/23/2011) at Facebook. I guarantee you will love, or double your money back.

https://www.facebook.com/JohnPizzarelliOfficial/videos/4207317762671010/

Edited by Mark Blackburn

• Members

JAMES TAYLOR - The Secret of Life

I have at least three James Taylor 'concert' DVDs but One Man Band is my favorite. The song selection -- and accompanying videos -- are terrific. As is the "stunning sound quality." If I could keep only one James Taylor song to take to the proverbial desert island, it would be The Secret of Life -- this latter-day concert performance, even over the studio recording that first gave me goosebumps 45 years ago. (Still does). This version nearing 1.4 million views I see my namesake 'reviewed' a year ago, with a focus on the science behind the words: "Now the thing about time is that time isn't really real." 

A Facebook friend shared a science article: "A NEW THEORY ON TIME INDICATES PRESENT AND FUTURE EXIST SIMULTANEOUSLY" [!] I replied,

Or as St. James Taylor said in my favorite of his songs (SECRET OF LIFE) in speaking of Einstein's theory and the passage of time -- here on earth, not hurtling at light speed through the void: "Now the thing about time, is that time isn't really real. It's just your point of view: How does it feel to you? Einstein said he could never understand it all: planets spinning through space; the smile upon your face. Welcome to the Human Race!"

Edited by Mark Blackburn

• Members

TONY BENNETT - Maybe September /  Autumn in New York

The computer screen, now streaming “Siriusly Sinatra” satellite radio, reads:

"Ch. 71  @FrankSinatra  The Chairman's Hour"

... which just played two consecutive gems from the world's greatest living singer Tony Bennett – 'alone together' circa 1977 with the most influential jazz piano giant Bill Evans -- their version of a movie theme song Tony had introduced years earlier – MAYBE SEPTEMBER. Unsurpassed, to this day -- "solo piano supporting one male singer" -- it never got better than this, you may agree.

“You're listening to The Chairman's Hour – exclusively on Siriusly Sinatra.”

Show host Charles Pignone followed up immediately with Tony and his longest-serving piano accompanist Ralph Sharon -- my “other favorite” version of Autumn in New York. Only one upload of same at YouTube tonight – this one.

• Members

SINATRA - Autumn in New York

After celebrating Tony Bennett's wonderful rendition of AUTUMN IN NEW YORK --   "my other favorite version” -- there's this one by Frank: set to a gorgeous string arrangement from Billy May (the Come Fly With Me album). Grateful to a Facebook friend in Italy Irene Soggia for sharing this version; I see my namesake 'reviewed' this upload to YouTube “2 years ago” in appreciation for the beautiful slide show from a Miss “Fiore DiPesco” (worth a re-post, you may agree).

The only one of his hit songs for which composer Vernon Duke wrote the words as well as the tune. Recorded by so many artists but Sinatra's was the only version to achieve chart success ( No. 27 in 1948) . Vernon Duke's lyricists included many of the greats (Johnny Mercer, Ogden Nash and Sammy Cahn); his best known melodies were given words by John Latouche (TAKING A CHANCE ON LOVE) Yip Harburg (APRIL IN PARIS) and Ira Gershwin (I CAN'T GET STARTED). This arrangement sounds like Nelson Riddle, but this lovely strings orchestration was by Billy May -- for Sinatra's 1958 classic COME FLY WITH ME album.

Edited by Mark Blackburn

• Members

STEVE TYRELL -- Walk On By

Yesterday on channel 71 satellite radio Sinatra family friend Steve Tyrell hosted a new “Playing Favorites” show – “my new favorite” I have to say -- not least for all the wonderful anecdotes Steve shared about working with giants like Ray Charles and Quincy Jones and his fondest musical memories involving his dear late friend and collaborator, Frank Sinatra Jr.

Hit the 'back 1 hour' button and it's Steve – with a track from his latter day “Back to Bacharach” album – celebrating the music of Burt B and the words of Hal David.  A great lyricist who left us in 2012 at age 91 Mr. David had a unique lyrical style that featured artless alliterations (like these):

“I just can't get over losing you,

so if I seem, broken and blue --

walk on by . . . ”

Only one share of Steve's version at YouTube this day -- labeled “2018 Remaster” – with “comments turned off” (a pity).

Wikipedia notes:

"Walk On By" is a song composed by Burt Bacharach, with lyrics by Hal David, for singer Dionne Warwick in 1963.[1] The song peaked at number 6 on the US Billboard Hot 100 and number 1 on the Cash Box Rhythm and Blues Chart In June 1964 and was nominated for a 1965 Grammy Award for the Best Rhythm and Blues Recording. Isaac Hayes recorded the song five years later, in 1969, and reached number 30 on the Hot 100 chart and number 13 in the R&B charts[2] with his version. "Walk On By" has since charted numerous times in various countries, with wildly different arrangements.

The original version of "Walk On By" by Dionne Warwick was recorded at the same December 1963 session that yielded her hit "Anyone Who Had a Heart".

The song was ranked number 70 on the Rolling Stone list of The 500 Greatest Songs of All Time, the second highest song by a solo female on the list after "Respect" by Aretha Franklin.[4] "Walk On By" became Warwick's second international million seller following "Anyone Who Had A Heart" in January 1964.

[Separate Wiki footnote of interest to my compatriots!]

The Toronto folk-rock group Bobby Kris and the Imperials released a fairly straight-ahead cover version in late 1965. The single became a major hit in Canada, reaching number 8 in early 1966, but "Walk On By" was to be the band's only hit.

Edited by Mark Blackburn

• Members

SINATRA – (How Little it Matters) How Little We know

Nancy's good friend James Darren is “Playing Favorites for the next hour, here on Siriusly Sinatra” (channel 71) and as usual, I'm loving the selections.  There was a time a Wise Man or Woman could inform me at the now defunct Sinatra Family Forum that “this show first played in 2018.”  Then I'd share with his Facebook page which recently featured a photo of James and Nancy.  He opened today's show with an early recollection:

“For as long as I can remember Frank Sinatra's music has been a part of my life.  And for almost 50 years the Sinatra family has been with me, professionally and personally, as dear friends.

“When I was a teenager growing up in south Philly, my buddies and I would hang out at 'Sam's Luncheonette'  – it was a great place [that included] three booths, a lunch counter, pinball machines and a juke box – on which, in 1956 I played Sinatra's 'How Little We Know' – until it was nearly worn out.

"Now here's the original recording, with the wonderful Nelson Riddle arrangement.”

----

From the “Sinatra's Sinatra” 60's collection, this song features a deceptively simple yet brilliant lyric from my favorite female lyricist Carolyn (The Best is Yet to Come) Leigh.  

Who cares to define, what chemistry THIS is?
Who cares, with your lips on mine,
how ignorant BLISS is?

One official upload to YouTube by “Frank Sinatra” whose “comments are turned off.” A pity.

• Members
The very first Gibson Les Paul guitar goes to the highest bidder this week

Les Paul's first signature model 'gold top' solid-body electric from Gibson will be auctioned at Christie's in NYC October 13. The auction house expects it to sell for at least 100-to-150-thousand dollars. My musical sister in Toronto just phoned to say it was “featured today on 'CBS Sunday Morning' – it'll be at their website.” [Sure enough:]

Gibson rolled out its first Les Paul in 1952. It was soon embraced by the guitar gods of rock 'n' roll: The Eagles' Joe Walsh, Led Zeppelin's Jimmy Page, and The Stones' Keith Richards all played a Les Paul.

"It's one of those perfect rock 'n' roll machines," said Kerry Keane, of Christie's. "It has the ability to be driven at very high volume with a distortion level that is appealing and wonderful."

Les Paul, who died in 2009 at age 94, was a guitar god himself. In the Fifties, with his then-wife, Mary Ford, he had 28 hit records, including his signature tune, "How High the Moon" (1951). CBS included a link to an official version at YouTube whose “comments are turned off” – a pity.

• Members

If I could keep only one Sinatra song . . .

We have a bird feeder in our back yard kept well-stocked with my special seed mixture (heavy on the raw sunflower seeds); I'll sit nearby in a lawn chair and sing the song they're most familiar-with: 'I Thought About You.' My favorite Sinatra song. Period. The moment I start to sing it, the bravest (and smallest) – my favorites, the chickadees and nuthatches are immediately there, on the nearest branch, two feet away.

Whenever I sang it to my youngest granddaughters, they'd usually indulge me with a smile, when I say: “That's by Johnny Mercer. Someday he'll be your favorite too!”

----

Since the last time I looked, someone has added an anecdote to the song's (one line) Wikipedia entry [that]

I Thought About You is a 1939 popular song composed by Jimmy Van Heusen with lyrics by Johnny Mercer.”

The lyrics were inspired by Mercer's train trip to Chicago.[2] Mercer said about the song:

'I can remember the afternoon that we wrote it. He [Van Heusen] played me the melody. I didn't have any idea, but I had to go to Chicago that night [for] the Benny Goodman program. And I got to thinking about it on the train. I was awake, I couldn't sleep. The tune was running through my mind, and that's when I wrote the song. On the train, really going to Chicago.'[1]
Mercer wrote other songs about trains, including "Blues in the Night" (1940) and "On the Atchison, Topeka and the Santa Fe" (Best Song Oscar winner 1946).”

The official version at YouTube (“remastered 1998”) says “comments are turned off.” A pity.

I singled this one out at the close of a two-page letter that opened with . . .

December 17, 1992

Dear Mr. Sinatra:

This letter may never reach you, but it needs to be written because of the way I'm feeling right now. About your music . . .

[and closed with]

On a personal note: my absolute favorite song of yours, for reasons I can't really explain, is 'I Thought About You.' Maybe it's the deceptively simple, elegant music by that genius who began life as 'Chester Babcock' (Van Heusen). Or the brilliant lyric by the century's greatest lyricist. Or the gem of an arrangement by my favorite American arranger (Riddle) with all those train sounds, that have you swinging down the track. All wrapped up in a song I never heard before – there's not many of those! Oh hell, let's face it – it's the singer! The song wouldn't be what it is, without you. Merry Christmas 1992. Or '93 if this reaches you before then!”

In my sock drawer, where loved ones are sure to find it, is a note of reply, from “Frank Sinatra 5757 Wilshire Boulevard, Suite 240 Los Angeles,” dated 20 January 1993:

Dear Mark,

Thank you very much for your letter of December 17. I am flattered by your kind words and greatly appreciate your interest in my music … It was so nice of you to take the time to write!

Here's wishing you and your family a very healthy and happy New Year! Keep listening!

All the best, [bright blue fountain pen signature:]

Frank Sinatra

• Members

K.D. LANG & TONY BENNETT – Blue Velvet

Years before Bobby Vinton introduced us 'baby boomers' to 'Blue Velvet' Tony Bennett first introduced the love song exactly 70 years ago – the version playing right now on Siriusly Sinatra satellite radio, “Nancy For Frank 10/21/2007” (followed, in what obviously is a 'blue' feature segment, by Johnny Mathis' When Sunny Gets Blue).

Like Sinatra, early Tony Bennett sounded more like a tenor than a baritone; my own musical Dad always insisted “Sinatra's a tenor” – mistaking Frank's powerful upper range back when microphones weren't emphasizing Frank's even-stronger baritone notes.

The song's Wikipedia entry has been expanded with an abundance of anecdotes, some of which weren't there the last time I checked!

"Blue Velvet" is a popular song written and composed in 1950 by Bernie Wayne and Lee Morris. A top 20 hit for Tony Bennett in its original 1951 version, the song has since been re-recorded many times, with a 1963 version by Bobby Vinton reaching No. 1.

Inspiration/ Composition

Songwriter Bernie Wayne was inspired to begin writing "Blue Velvet" on a 1951 visit to Richmond, Virginia where he stayed at the Jefferson Hotel: at a party at the hotel Wayne continually caught sight of a female guest dressed in blue velvet with whom he would have a holiday romance.[1][2]

The song's co-writer Bernie Wayne had pitched "Blue Velvet" to Columbia Records head A&R man Mitch Miller, who as soon as he'd heard the song's opening measure: "She wore blue velvet", had suggested giving the song to Tony Bennett. (Wayne's response: "Don't you want to hear the rest of the song?", caused Miller to opine: "Quit while you're ahead!")[3] Recorded in a July 17, 1951 session with the Percy Faith orchestra and released September 21, 1951, Bennett's version peaked at No. 11.

New York Times music journalist Stephen Holden would vaunt "Blue Velvet" as one of the four tracks which defined the first phase of Bennett's recording career: according to Holden "Blue Velvet" along with "Because of You" (1951), "Cold, Cold Heart" (1951), and "Stranger in Paradise" (1953), "stand as the gorgeous final flowering of the high-romantic style invented in the 1940s by Sinatra [with] arranger Axel Stordahl. Pure and throbbing, ...Bennett's voice adds a semi-operatic heft to Sinatra's more intimate crooning style. Male pop singing since [the mid-1950s] has never been [so] unabashedly sweet."

A live version of "Blue Velvet" was featured on the 1962 concert album Tony Bennett at Carnegie Hall,[12] [and] Bennett dueted with k.d. lang on a remake of "Blue Velvet" for his 2011 album Duets II,[14] while Bennett's 2012 album Viva Duets featured Bennett duetting on "Blue Velvet" with Maria Gadú, who sang her part in Portuguese.[15] ("Blue Velvet" was a bonus cut on an edition of Viva Duets sold exclusively through Target.)

----

Google for Tony's version (1951) and it's not to be found. Even better, perhaps – the first offering this night, with 3.6 million “views” – Tony's duet with the best-ever jazz singer from Alberta Canada. Posted ten years ago, the most recent “comment” from “Julie Lara 1 year ago” speaks for millions of us:

Now at 55 years young I can recall hearing Bennett singing as I woke to his music being played by my parents. Sincere gratitude to them for introducing real music to me, music with meaningful lyrics and wonderfully written music. I have never stopped enjoying Tony and his style is pure elegance and class. I first heard KD when I came out in my late teens. She draws you in with her smooth voice and passionate reactions to the music. She makes me feel it deep in my soul. Loved her then, love her more now. THIS IS TRULY MUSIC AT IT"S BEST!!"

• Members

DOYLE DYKES -  Random late night pickin' 

Google for “public domain / copyright” and be reminded that, “If a book, song, movie, or artwork is in the public domain, then it is not protected by intellectual property laws (copyright, trademark, or patent laws)—which means it's free for you to use without permission. ... As a general rule, most works enter the public domain because of old age.”

Just thought of this when my finger-style guitar hero Doyle Dykes shared with fans a 'late night video' of him playing a song which “entered the public domain January 1, 2021" – HAS ANYBODY SEEN MY GAL. Doyle noted that the song was “composed by Ray Henderson” (one of the principal hit-song writers of the 1920s) and performs it here beautifully – on a “re-acquired” signature model Taylor steel string acoustic with as he says “dead strings.” But since those strings are Doyle Dykes signature model GHS strings, “they don't sound half bad!”  Doyle performs it with a blend of styles -- his own and his mentors Chet Atkins and Merle Travis – reminiscent of stride-style piano in which this song was first played.

As Wikipedia notes, "Has Anybody Seen My Girl? (Five Foot Two, Eyes of Blue)" is an American popular song that achieved its greatest popularity in the 1920s. It is sometimes known as "Five Foot Two, Eyes of Blue"; the 1925 Leo Feist, Inc. sheet music gives both titles. And as of January 1, 2021, the song has fallen into the public domain.”

Credit for the most popular version of the song, though, is given to Ray Henderson for the music, and Sam M. Lewis and Joseph Widow Young for the lyrics. It was this version that was recorded by The California Ramblers in 1925.  Lucille Ball performs this song in an episode of I Love Lucy, and also in the episode of The Lucy Show titled "Lucy's College Reunion", in both performances playing the ukulele. In 1984, it was used by the Walter Mondale 1984 presidential campaign to introduce vice-presidential candidate Geraldine Ferraro (who was actually five feet, four inches).

Edited by Mark Blackburn

• Members
Leslie Bricusse has died, at age 90 -- in France October 19. His Wikipedia entry notes that he "resided in California." Nancy Sinatra and her late brother Frank Jr were good friends of Mr. Bricusse. Coincidentally (or not) I'd just posted at the Sinatra Family Alumni (private) Facebook group "about my favorite composition from Leslie Bricusse -- and my favorite rendition by singer Calabria Foti -- track 5 on her most recent "Prelude to a Kiss" album. "Reviewed" I see by my namesake "1 month ago" and "1 year ago" at YouTube [with the note:]

My new favorite version of one of the best songs composed (words & music) by a friend of the late Frank Sinatra Jr's – Leslie Bricusse. The arrangement which Calabria Foti rightly describes as “stunning and gorgeous” is by her good friend Roger Kellaway – a jazz piano giant whose work TV viewers first heard on the closing theme for ALL IN THE FAMILY (has it really been fifty years?) A young Mr. Kellaway playing 'stride' style piano on his own composition “Remembering You” as a camera pans over a neighborhood in Brooklyn.

• Members

DOYLE DYKES -- Danny Boy

“Some random, late night picking on my 1991 (James) Olson guitar” says Doyle Dykes at the end of my new favorite instrumental version of DANNY BOY. My kid brother Ron's favorite 'traditional' song. It's been one year since his death and how he would have enjoyed Doyle's Chet Atkins influenced variations – on the definitive Irish song whose words were composed by an Englishman! Doyle reminds us that “Frederic Weatherly” wrote the words to a much older Irish traditional tune. I remember telling my brother that Fred Weatherly also wrote one of our Dad's favorite songs from “between the wars” – ROSES OF PICARDY. (Wiki note below).

I love Doyle Dykes variations – especially the final, minute-long, extended 'coda' of counter melodies, mostly his own, but including a 'quote from a Chet Atkins ballad whose name escapes me (around the 3:54 mark). Just spent ten minutes searching Chet's albums on Spotify (including 'Stay Tuned' 1985) but I just can't find it. Help me out, Doyle – name that tune!

Thanks for sharing. Ron I'd like to believe is looking down and sharing my tears of joy.

Fred Weatherly's Wikipedia entry notes that

" ... He wrote the song "Danny Boy" while living in Bath in 1910, but it did not meet with much success. In 1912 his sister-in-law Margaret Enright Weatherly in America suggested an old Irish tune called "Londonderry Air", which he had never heard before. Margaret had learned the tune from her Irish-born father Dennis. The tune matched his lyrics almost perfectly. He published the now-famous song in 1913. His ballad "Roses of Picardy", written in 1916 and set to music by Haydn Wood, was one of the most famous songs from World War I.

Sometimes plain and simple is best . . .

I know all about Danny Boy, but something made me check the Wikipedia entry, in case there's 'something new' (a recent posting perhaps?). Sure enough, someone has singled out as an example a 2014 recording – mixed vocal chorus and elements of the United States Air Force Orchestra – with the first half, 'a capella.' Tears of joy!

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/39/Danny_Boy_-_Celtic_Aire_-_United_States_Air_Force_Band.mp3

Edited by Mark Blackburn

• Members

Don't Get Around Much Anymore

On his regular Thursday “5 o'clock Somewhere” (“Tips Jar”) show on Facebook John Pizzarelli 're-envisioned' Duke Ellington's “Don't Get Around Much Anymore” as a sad song in a minor key (G). Toward the end of his four-minute rendition he flubs just one minor substitution for a major chord, and makes himself laugh. [I left a note of appreciation at John's Facebook page.]

https://www.facebook.com/JohnPizzarelliOfficial

In my mind's ear, I only hear Tony Bennett's splendid version of this song (below) and can't hear any rendition by Frank. Google for it at YouTube and sure enough – a snippet of a medley of Duke Ellington tunes – early b&w TV of Frank, with guest Sammy Davis Jr. As if to say, “too bad Frank never did a studio recording,” the most recent of two comments from “1 year ago” from a kindred soul:

Steve Chinaski

Wish Frank recorded this on his Ellington album.... why didn't he? SMH!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8i6e0kjF5c

Tony Bennett's retire-the-trophy version of Don't Get Around Much Anymore from his Columbia / Legacy album “Tony Makes It Happen.” A terrific jazz band arrangement by – wonder who? “Comments turned off” – a pity.

Canada's gift to jazz crooning Michael B's favorite version of the song was Tony's. He asked for it to be their Duet.

Tony Bennett performing "Don't Get Around Much Anymore" with Michale Bublé from Duets II: The Great Performances”

1.25M 'views' and some informed comments below the video – like this one:

FosterNewmanMusic

It's great that Tony Bennett can still hit that high Bb4. Lovely stuff!

Oh yes, Frank's only recording from the early days of television.

Edited by Mark Blackburn

• Members

LADY GAGA & TONY BENNETT -- Dream Dancing

My musical Dad used to say – of musician friends with Alzheimer's – that “Their music was the last thing to go.” Their musical memories were the strongest things left in their entire being. Tony Bennett just reminded me of this tonight – with his latest duet, at age 95, with Lady Gaga: their take on a lesser-known Cole Porter song, DREAM DANCING which Tony performed definitively 44 years ago. Recorded for his second 'alone-together' album with jazz piano giant Bill Evans. Recorded as a bonus track on their “Together Again” album of 1977 but not released on any CD until 2009.

It's a rangy song. And apart from Sinatra, no male singer has ever had as great a vocal range as Tony. Incredibly, he's still got it – together with perfect intonation! A musical video so good it gives me those 'tears of joy.' You too? Barely two minutes, including Lady Gaga's entry to the studio and a loving greeting for her musical hero.

Edited by Mark Blackburn

• Members

SINATRA - I Hadn't Anyone Till You

Just for me (I'd like to think) Siriusly Sinatra programmer extraordinaire 'Jersey Lou' Simon is playing Sinatra's 1962 recording of I HADN'T ANYONE TILL YOU -- opening track on one of my own 'Top 5' Sinatra albums.    

Composed by English band leader Ray Noble – who wrote the words as well as the unforgettable tune. Ray Noble spent a lot of time touring in the United States -- with my finger-picking hero – 7-string guitar inventor George van Eps - as part of his band. (Mr. Noble died in 1978 in London, age 74.)

Just as an aside, he was my parents' favorite composer the year they met in high school, 1936 – mainly for two of his earlier, more famous songs, 'The Touch of Your Lips' and 'The Very Thought of You.' He also wrote a song beloved by jazz virtuosos, 'Cherokee.'

This one, as you can see, is from “Sinatra & Strings” whose gifted arranger Don Costa agreed with Frank – that THIS should be the opening track – the scene-setter for all the beautiful songs that followed.

The song's short Wiki entry has been expanded recently, by a kindred spirit to include an informed note by Sinatra's friend, composer Alec (I'll Be Around) Wilder: [that]

"It is a smooth, direct, slightly rhythmic ballad of no great range and unmistakably a song of its time, the late thirties. It makes a move in the second half of the B section (the design is A-B-A-C/A) into the key of A major from the parent key of F major, which adds that dash of color needed in a song of so direct and unpushy a nature. It is a song with both sophistication and a flavor of the past."[2]

Most viewed version at YouTube (12K "views") includes, I see, a 'review' by my namesake, "1 year ago":

• Members

CALABRIA FOTI -- Do It Again

Once a year or so (like right this minute) Siriusly Sinatra satellite radio's programmer 'Jersey Lou' Simon plays the most beautiful version I ever heard of an early Gershwin tune -- DO IT AGAIN  – a personal favorite recording from my “favorite living singer” Calabria Foti. From her “A Lovely Way to Spend an Evening' (2007) CD. For me it's the best version for a host of reasons -- including the full symphonic string section, with beautiful opening violin obbligato played by Calabria herself (she's been employed with several symphony orchestras).

Needless to say it is a 'girl song.' "My Mama told me – she would scold me --- that it's “naughty” …. but then, oh! Do it again. PLEASE, do it again!”

A superb slide trombone solo on the musical bridge that could ONLY be her hubby, Bob McChesney. It's moments like these, I renew my threat to pay for your copy of “Lovely Way to Spend an Evening” if you don't just love it to bits. 

Someone uploaded 'the score' of Bob McChesney's arrangement (titled simply “Do it”). Google to learn that there are 5 other songs with the same title! Make the search include the word “Gershwin” to get the one we want.

Wikipedia includes some delightful 'background' for those who still care to ask “Who wrote that song?”

"Do It Again" is an American popular song by composer George Gershwin and lyricist Buddy DeSylva. The song premiered in the 1922 Broadway show The French Doll, as performed by actress Irène Bordoni. Gershwin recounted the origin of the song in 1934:

"I was in the office of Max Dreyfus, my publisher, one day when Buddy DeSylva walked in. DeSylva said jokingly to me, 'George, let's write a hit!' I matched him by saying, 'Okay!' I sat down at the piano, and began playing a theme which I was composing on the spot... Buddy listened for a few minutes and then began chanting this title—"Oh, Do It Again!," which he had just fitted to my theme.[1]

Gershwin began playing the song, described as "innocently sensual"  at parties. Upon hearing the song, Irène Bordoni insisted that she perform the song in her show.[2] "Do It Again" first appeared in the Broadway play The French Doll, which premiered on February 20, 1922 at the Lyceum and ran for a total of 120 performances.

• Members

JAMES TAYLOR - The Nearness of You

Siriusly Sinatra satellite radio (now Channel 70) is playing James Taylor's Grammy-winning recording of THE NEARNESS OF YOU – the loveliest song collaboration from Hoagy ('Stardust') Carmichael and Ned ('When You Wish Upon a Star') Washington. My personal favorite lyric from so many great ones composed by Mr. Washington who twice picked up the “Best Song” Academy Award (Wikipedia note below).

It features a short but perfect bridge (like so many composed by James Taylor) that conveys so much in so few words – slightly modified by James, to make the song 'his own.'

When you're in my arms, and I feel you so close to me, all my wildest dreams -- I see them all come true. I need no soft lights to enchant me, if you would only grant me the right, to hold you ever so tight, and to feel in the night, the nearness of you."

And with a signature James Taylor arrangement (“for two guitars” with fellow Grammy-winner John Pizzarelli) you'd really think that James had composed this gem (now more than 80 years old).

Wikipedia notes:

Ned Washington (born Edward Michael Washington, August 15, 1901 – December 20, 1976) was an American lyricist born in Scranton, Pennsylvania.[1]

Washington was nominated for eleven Academy Awards from 1940 to 1962. He won the Best Original Song award twice: in 1940 for "When You Wish Upon a Star" in Pinocchio and in 1952 for "High Noon (Do Not Forsake Me, Oh My Darlin')" in High Noon.

Some of Washington's songwriting credits include:

Edited by Mark Blackburn