GREAT MELODY, GREAT LYRIC, GREAT RENDITION

Mark Blackburn

• Members

NATALIE COLE – I'm Glad There Is You

I so miss Natalie Cole – waiting for her next album of standards like the song playing this minute on Siriusly Sinatra satellite radio – I'M GLAD THERE IS YOU. A beautiful ballad “composed by Paul Madeira Mertz” who never had another hit; it has a small Wikipedia entry that includes a new anecdote (that wasn't there before):

"I'm Glad There Is You (In This World of Ordinary People)" is a song written by Jimmy Dorsey and Paul Madeira (sometimes credited as Paul Mertz) first published in 1941.[1] It has become a jazz and pop standard.

The song was released by Jimmy Dorsey and His Orchestra in 1942 [with] Bob Eberly on vocals [and] was reviewed in Billboard: "Maestro Jimmy Dorsey had a hand in writing this love song, with the story steeped in philosophical thoughts rather than June-moon wordage ….”

Paul Madeira Mertz (says a brief online profile) was an American pianist, jazz composer and arranger, born September 1, 1904 in Reading, Pennsylvania and died October 19, 1998 in Los Angeles, California. Wrote the Jazz classic: "I'm Glad There Is You".

First version by Natalie offered by YouTube (which includes the minute-long opening verse) is this one which I see my namesake reviewed already, “five months ago."  Where does the time go!

• Members

For what is dancing, but making love set to music . . . playing

"Someday," says Nancy Sinatra on Sirius radio a moment ago, "we will devote the full three hours to nothing but songs by Sammy Cahn, Jule Styne and Jimmy Van Heusen – “there are more than enough of their songs to do that!"

Nancy immediately played what I consider the wittiest lyric Sammy Cahn ever wrote for Sinatra -- which, if true, would be saying something:  'Come Dance With Me" – the one with the reference to the Greek god of the dance – Terpsichore.

Just had a memory of my two oldest grand kids, when they were little, bouncing on the bed and singing,

“Hey there Cutes, put on your Basie boots, and come, dance with me.”

I'd indulge them while keeping an eye out for Gramma Irene who would put an end to the fun: “I've told you not to jump on our bed!”

To this day when this plays, Grampa Mark would like to jump on the bed. As Sammy himself would say, Call Me Irresponsible.
Edited by Mark Blackburn

• Members

Tony DeSare - All The Things You Are 

Siriusly Sinatra satellite radio is playing a new version, by a young artist, of my family's favorite song. Posted to YouTube a year ago. Very nicely done, you may agree?

His Wikipedia entry, in its entirety:

Tony DeSare (born 1976) is a jazz singer, pianist and songwriter. DeSare was born in Glens Falls, New York in 1976.[1] He began playing the piano as a young child, and had public performances in his late teens.[1] He kept performing locally during his studies at Ithaca College.[1]

DeSare moved to New York in 1998 and played in a hotel, then performed in an off-Broadway musical.[1] He met guitarist Bucky Pizzarelli, who helped his career develop.[1]

DeSare's debut album, Want You, was released by Telarc in 2005.[1] The material included standards, covers of lesser-known pieces, and originals.[2] It peaked at No. 43 on the Billboard jazz albums chart.[3]

DeSare's 2007 release Last First Kiss also included originals and standards, from Prince's "Kiss" and Carole King's "I Feel the Earth Move" to "Gee Baby Ain't I Good to You" and "How Deep Is the Ocean?"[4] It was featured on NPR's Weekend Edition Saturday[5] and reached No. 8 on the Billboard jazz albums chart.[3]

Telarc released Radio Show, which included standards and DeSare's originals, around 2009.[6] A Christmas album, Christmas Home, was released by AJD around 2016.[7]

Most recent comment below the video:

JoAnn West
1 month ago
Thank you so very much for attacking this song, Tony. It's my personal, all-time favorite and I was scrolling thru your videos to see if you'd recorded it. (I just discovered YOU about an hour ago. =)) Wondering if there's also a vocal rendition??? BTW: Your voice is so pure, clean, amazing. So happy to have found you. PS. I just applauded at the finish of this performance.

• Members

JESSI COLTER / CHET ATKINS - Storms Never Last

My life-long guitar hero, Chet Atkins introduced fans to the song “Storms Never Last” -- his instrumental version. A quarter century ago, before search engines could provide instant answers to questions like, “Does it have a lyric?” Yes – by Jessi Colter. And there's a back story you won't find in her Wiki entry.

Jessi's husband Waylon Jennings recalled a moment when he found a piece of paper that she had “crumpled up and thrown in a waste basket.” He talked Jessi into completing the song -- and giving it a memorable tune for poignant words like these:

Storms never last, do they baby?
Bad times all pass with the winds.
Your hand in mine stills the thunder,
you make the sun want to shine [....]
Every road we took, God knows our search was for the truth,
and the storm brewing now, won't be the last!”

Their best 'on stage' duet version at YouTube is this concert performance with Waylon's simple, loving words of introduction:
“My best friend, my better half, my wife Jessi.”
According to Wiki]

Mirriam Johnson, known professionally as Jessi Colter, is an American country music artist best known for her collaborations with her husband, country singer and songwriter Waylon Jennings, and for her 1975 country-pop crossover hit "I'm Not Lisa".

Born: May 25, 1943 (age 78 years), Phoenix, Arizona, United States
Spouse: Waylon Jennings (m. 1969–2002), Duane Eddy (m. 1962–1968)
Albums: Jessi, A Country Star Is Born, I'm Jessi Colter, MORE
Children: Shooter Jennings, Jennifer Eddy

----

The Chet Atkins instrumental version so dear to my heart has only one uploaded version at YouTube – this one, shared by a fellow 'Chet fanatic' "DaffyDoug."

• Like 1

• Members

SINATRA - If (and the way he wore his hat)

Some thoughts on the day when the Sinatra Family Forum “SFF” will cease to exist (7/31/2021) at midnight, when the 'stars will all go out' after a 24 year 'run.' Thankfully, as long as there's a “satellite radio” we'll always have the Sinatra channel: where today every single song seems to be aimed straight at our hearts. Even a seldom-heard pop song from almost 50 years ago – IF – that 'Don't Get Around Much Anymore.' (Coincidentally Sirius radio had just played THAT song – Bobby Darin's version (my favorite) of that a propos Duke Ellington tune and its wistful lyric

“....awfully different without you, don't get around much anymore”

Yes, sipping the first coffee of the day I'd hit the 'back 1 hour' button and today it was Frank singing “IF” – to a lush and lovely Gordon Jenkins arrangement that elevates it into something greater than our memory of that David Gates song from 1974 ('our song' the year Irene and I were married). Words that were meaningful enough then, but which take on even greater weight with the passing of time.

“. . . and when my love for life is running dry, you come and pour yourself on me . . . ”

Displayed on the Sirius scroll was my favorite photo of Sinatra – a color close up of him sitting 'pool side' somewhere, smiling in the sun, with just a hat for shade. Yes, the way he wore his hat! – 'No, no they can't take that away from me!' (I live my life in song titles, can you tell?)

Yes, every single song playing this day on Siriusly Sinatra goes straight for our hearts! Even (or especially) when you least expect it, on a song like this. Frank lending 'gravitas' as the Latins say, to timeless words of Romance.

If a man could be 'two places at one time' – I'd be with you
'Tomorrow and Today' -- beside you all the way

If the world should stop revolving – spinning slowly down to die,
I'd spend 'The End' with you
and when the world was through

Then, one-by-one, the stars would all go out
Then you and I would simply …. fly away.

• Members

Whenever I hear Frank sing "100 years from today" . . .

. . . I'm reminded of something an American friend shared with me: he was asked to write words of introduction to an inspirational book about another mutual friend's daughter who died at age 20 of cancer. Michael Josephson composed these thoughts concerning 'What will matter' after we have taken our last breath. Would you agree?

-----

Ready or not, someday it will all come to an end. There will be no more sunrises, minutes, hours or days.

All the things you collected, whether treasured or forgotten will pass to someone else. Your wealth, fame and temporal power will shrivel to irrelevance. It will not matter what you owned, or what you were owed.

Your judgments, resentments, frustrations and jealousies will finally disappear. So too, your hopes, ambitions, plans and to-do lists will expire. The wins and losses that once seemed so important will fade away.

It won't matter where you came from or which side of the tracks you lived on at the end. It won't matter whether you were beautiful or brilliant. Even your gender and skin color will be irrelevant.

So what will matter? How will the value of your days be measured? What will matter is not what you bought, but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave.

What will matter is not your success but your significance . . . not what you learned but what you taught.

What will matter is every act of integrity, compassion, courage or sacrifice that enriched, empowered or encouraged others to emulate your example.

What will matter is not your competence but your character. Not how many people you knew, but how many will feel a lasting loss when you're gone.

Living a life that matters doesn't happen by accident. It's not a matter of circumstance but of choice. Choose to live a life that matters.

• Members

SINATRA – My Shining Hour (1980)

Siriusly Sinatra satellite radio is playing my favorite version of (This Will Be) "My Shining Hour" playing now, as I type this. What a lyric! Including the opening verse which Frank wisely included:

"This moment, this minute and each second in it
Will leave a glow upon the sky
And as time goes by
It will never die”

Still my favorite song of the several composed by Harold (Over The Rainbow) Arlen -- to perfect, poignant words by Johnny Mercer – which carry even more meaning this evening, as we count down the last few hours till midnight, when “Sinatra Family Forum” shuts down after 24 years. (A lot of shining hours!)

Yes, Sinatra's late-in-life (1980) rendition (for his “Trilogy – Past, Present, Future” album) is still the best ever 'reading' I could imagine for these words:

This will be my shining hour
Calm and happy and bright
And in my dreams, your face will flower
Through the darkness of the night

Like the lights of home before me
Or an angel who's watching o'er me
This will be my shining hour
'Til I'm with you again
The song has a short Wikipedia entry that mentions its Oscar nomination, as well as some evocative words from Britain's greatest wartime leader Winston Churchill:

"My Shining Hour" is a song composed by Harold Arlen with lyrics by Johnny Mercer for the film The Sky's the Limit (1943) It was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Original Song but lost to "You'll Never Know".[2]

The song's title may have been a reference to Winston Churchill's speech to British citizens during World War II: "If the British Empire and its Commonwealth last for a thousand years, men will still say, this was their finest hour."[1]

Notable recordings[edit]

1943 Mabel Mercer
1955 Warren Galjour, The Music Of Harold Arlen: The Walden Sessions.[7]
1960 Ella Fitzgerald, Ella Fitzgerald Sings the Harold Arlen Songbook.
1961 John Coltrane, Coltrane Jazz
1963 Nancy Wilson, Hollywood – My Way
1965 Sammy Davis Jr., Our Shining Hour
1965 Liza Minnelli, It Amazes Me
1977 June Christy, Impromptu (June Christy album)
1980 Frank Sinatra, Trilogy: Past Present Future
1983 Rosemary Clooney, Rosemary Clooney Sings the Music of Harold Arlen
1993 Peggy Lee, Love Held Lightly: Rare Songs by Harold Arlen
2006 Barbra Streisand, Live in Concert 2006

• Members

BUGLER'S HOLIDAY (Go Army!) 

A friend just shared a YouTube version of The Typewriter Song, by Leroy (Sleigh Ride) Anderson -- my favorite composer when I was two years old! I was crazy about that song -- and all his other unforgettable tunes, including his best-selling Blue Tango. And so many others -- one of my favorite waltzes, Belle of the Ball, The Waltzing Cat, Fiddle Faddle;  And this maybe my favorite of them all Bugler's Holiday. First version offered at YouTube this day is this one: with over a million views, the U.S. Army Band. Goosebumps. At the speed it deserves to be played but almost never is! Note: around the 1:40 mark they begin to accelerate the tempo. Merely impossible! 

Edited by Mark Blackburn

• Members

SINATRA – Thanks For The Memory

Nancy Sinatra's "Sinatra Family Forum" website came to an end yesterday (8/1/2021) after a 24 year run. A lot of memories! In sync with our hearts, the intuitive genius that is YouTube sent this one my way just a minute ago. From Frank's SHE SHOT ME DOWN album, arranged by Gordon Jenkins.  This version at YouTube includes an informed note posted on the weekend.  

Val Haley
(2 days ago)
Written by Leo Robin in 1938. Sinatra recorded many Robin tunes including Just a Kiss Apart, Blue Hawaii, Bye Bye Baby, For Every Man There's a Woman, If I Should Lose You, Love Is Just Around the Corner, My Ideal, Prisoner Of Love and With Every Breath I Take. In 1981, Sinatra commissioned Leo to create an updated version of Thanks For The Memory for him to record on his new album, She Shot Me Down.

Edited by Mark Blackburn

• Members
SINATRA – Dream Away

"To sleep, perchance to dream .... " A Facebook friend and fellow Sinatra fan, Robert S of NYC, shared about "the dream I had last night."

" .... that Frank decided to become an art dealer. He called me and said he was busy with, you know, a lot of other things and asked me to help him out. I've always had crazy dreams, but talk about a fantasy... "

[I responded:]
You won't believe this, Robert: I had a dream about Andre Previn and two days later (in 2019) his death was announced. On page five (of my 78 page) "My Favorite Version" thread -- in the hours before SFF shut down -- I found this: "Last night I had a dream about Andre Previn -- my all-time favorite accompanist, composer and arranger. I never have dreams (or never remember them) from one decade to the next.

This one was just so vivid! I awoke and related it to my Irene – knowing I'd forget all details within a minute or two.

-----

I'm walking along a marble arch passageway – like a palace of music in Vienna or someplace close to mountains (I'll soon be in a neighboring ski resort) and walking towards me is Andre Previn. I put up my hands to get him to stop. I want to tell him that he's the greatest accompanist I've ever heard (which would be the most meager compliment for a person of Andre's musical stature) and he stops and smiles at me and almost immediately asks me to hold a soft leather pouch – very large, and buttery soft yet thick leather.

Andre indicates he has to go down the hall to attend to something. He leaves me holding the bag, literally. He doesn't return. I have to be going. Suddenly I'm off at a ski resort in summer. I'm full of anxiety: I can't put down Andre Previn's big leather pouch for fear someone will steal it when I'm not looking.

Flash forward to dream's end: I'm walking up a street to my hotel; a young boy leans over a balcony and asks my name. “The police are here to see you,” he says. I'm close to tears. Upstairs some officials are waiting to interview me about my 'theft' of Andre's pouch. The contents include some theater memorabilia – a piece of fluffy fabric signed by the Hello Dolly lady, Carole Channing (who died last month!)

Still no sign of Andre Previn and . . . I wake up: filled with anxiety, and so glad it's just a dream!

I'm from the Scrooge School of thought when it comes to dreams – that they are 'undigested bits of beef and blots of mustard' passing through our brains. But just in case . . . let's check on the well-being of Andre Previn. I'll get back to you on that. [2 days after posting this I learned Andre had died at home in Manhattan. I'd shared at his Facebook page the day before.]

Another friend in the Sinatra Family Alumni (private Facebook group) BILL HALES responded:
"Oh Oh! Don't get into Mark's dreams folks...stay in your own personal nightmare....plays His Majesty singing Dream Away from ol' blue eyes is back'."

Edited by Mark Blackburn

• Members

Tony Bennett -- 95 years old today!

[Just left a note for a 'best-ever' video at YouTube]

Nearing ten thousand "views" I see. Deepest thanks, "marcelo ferrari de almeida camargo" for sharing this visually stunning rendition of one of Tony Bennett's signature songs -- his show closer, here in Winnipeg Canada: Incidentally, that looks just like our Centennial Concert Hall which seats over a thousand -- where on that special night, Tony conspicuously put down his mic and sang this one 'unplugged.'

Minutes later I caught up with his Caddy SUV outside our finest hotel; as he emerged from the limo, accompanied by his daughter, I said:

"Mr. Bennett - that wasn't merely the best performance by an 83-year-old that I could imagine -- that was the finest performance by anyone that I have ever seen!" He smiled and offered his hand (warm but fragile I remember, like my grandpa's). He paused and said, "Really?" I offered my copy of his autobiography THE GOOD LIFE -- telling him as he inscribed the inside cover about how his description of his Dad (who died young of a heart disorder) "went straight to my heart." An assistant, a young blonde man had offered his Sharpie pen, and Mr. Bennett said: "No, no, this deserves a better one" and removed from his jacket pocket a fine pen.

"To Mark,

Thank you very much,

Tony Bennett."

My wife, a life-long Tony Bennett fan, was waiting in our car nearby. Said my Irene: "Don't wash it. I want to shake the hand that shook Tony Bennett's hand."

Edited by Mark Blackburn

• Members

Just read a friend's post below about "Frank Sinatra & Duke Ellington" -- their album together. And as if to say "I hear you," Siriusly Sinatra is playing right this minute my favorite track, INDIAN SUMMER. My favorite 'cause earlier that summer I met Duke Ellington when his band last performed in Ottawa -- shortly before this recording. Mr. Ellington said to me, "There's someone you should meet," and called over Johnny Hodges. I got both their signatures on a photo ripped out of a jazz magazine earlier in the day. Imagine my joy at reading the anecdote about Frank's reaction to Johnny's solo on this song (my all time favorite jazz solo, period!) Turning to Hodges during 'playback' Frank said: "My God, John that's beautiful."

• Members

SAMMY DAVIS JR. / LAURINDO ALMEIDA – Where is Love

Siriusly Sinatra satellite radio played this one today -- Sammy Davis Jr., alone together with Laurindo Almeida – the best-known guitarist from Brazil. Which is saying something! There were a bunch of them, including Luiz (Day in the Life of a Fool) Bonfa. Mr. Almeida moved to California so he could be on call – a go-to guitarist -- as when Frank Sinatra's arranger wanted a gut-string (classical), expertly played, on my favorite version of I ONLY MISS HER WHEN I THINK OF HER.

A classically-trained finger-style genius, Mr. Almeida got the call for solo accompaniment on Sammy Davis Jr's album of Broadway standards: still my favorite 'human voice and solo guitar' recordings.  My all-time favorite 'intimate' rendition of the show-stopper from the English musical OLIVER. [My musical father was there, the week it opened in a theater in London's West End - their 'Broadway'.] Really, how could anyone improve on this? 

• Members
JAMES TAYLOR  -  I've Grown Accustomed to Her Face

James is slated to return to Winnipeg Canada (his second visit to this city of 700K) in September. Can't wait. Siriusly Sinatra satellite radio just played one of my favorite of his latter-day recordings: the show-stopper from My Fair Lady  -- James' Grammy-winning rendition from 'American Standard' (2020). A gorgeous arrangement "for two guitars” by James and his good friend, jazz giant John Pizzarelli.

I have four CDs that came with my tickets for the April 2020 show here in Winnipeg but they didn't include this track: It's only on the “Deluxe Edition” for Target Stores which no longer exist here. Acquired for this Canadian by a friend and Sinatra expert “Bob in Boston” where it's good to know I've got a friend.
Really, Isn't this luverly?

Edited by Mark Blackburn

• Members

James Taylor & Tony Bennett - (How to) Put on a Happy Face

Just for me (I'd like to think) Siriusly Sinatra satellite radio just played my favorite TONY BENNETT duet, with James Taylor. Their delightful take on PUT ON A HAPPY FACE. James recalls his introduction to the song when his musical Mom took some of the family to see BYE BYE BIRDIE, the original Broadway production. Favorite moment here? When Tony is trying to sing these words and J.T interrupts (at 2:42) with a spoken, “Hey, I knew that girl!”

I knew a girl so gloomy – she'd never laugh or sing.
She wouldn't listen to me – now she's a mean old thing!

The informed introduction is from the late Phil Ramone, producer.

• Members

LEROY ANDERSON – Belle of the Ball

The most beautiful music video I've ever seen – the one that makes my heart soar with gladness (for reasons I can't put into words) just came my way – via the intuitive genius of YouTube. As if to say: “Remember writing this review?” No, I don't! I'd shared this at Sinatra Family Forum “page 28” of a 78 page thread that reached 35K “views” before SFF shut down for good. I would have saved this to my computer on the last day (but never got beyond page 5) before the show ended, after a 24 year run. Two years ago I wrote . . .

My favorite composer Richard Rodgers, by my calculation, composed 16 of the 20 best waltzes of the 20th century; the short list of others includes Leroy Anderson's “Belle of the Ball” (and Frank Loesser's best: “Wonderful Copenhagen").

When I was two or three years old, my favorite composer was Leroy Anderson (The Typewriter Song, Bugler's Holiday, Syncopated Clock, The Waltzing Cat). It would be years later that I realized my musical hero composed "Belle of the Ball" I think my favorite waltz containing as it does umpteen musical bridges providing symphonic variations.

Imagine my delight to find a kindred spirit, Nigel Fowler Sutton, has kindly uploaded this rendition (with London symphony musicians) -- with the most wonderful slide show of beautiful women in gowns preparing to waltz!

p.s. Just as an aside for any painters out there: At 2:17 there is a picture of girls, seated, in satin gowns; the PINK satin fabric! It's only there to see -- a quick zoom-in -- for 3 seconds: an artistic achievement that would have been appreciated by giants like Rembrandt and Vermeer -- Masters of light and shade who lived before pink satin fabric existed. I'm a painter and would dearly love to know who that artist is! Yes, an achievement in "mere pigment" every bit as remarkable as the Dutch masters depicting gold, reflected in candle light. You look -- and ask: HOW did they achieve that!

• Members

SINATRA - Luck Be A Lady

Playing right now on channel 71 – “Best of Nancy For Frank – 8/5/2007”

NANCY: AJ and I are in New York and …. actually, someone else just walked in. This is 'Little Stevie' everybody. Steve Van Zandt.” [applause from a few people in studio] “Now, we'd like to know Stevie – what is your favorite Frank song?”

The ensuing three-way conversation with Nancy's producer Chuck Granata was a joy to hear with so many amusing anecdotes being shared. This was the first time actually, that I got to hear this segment in its entirety. So grateful to Siriusly Sinatra for embarking on a re-play of all 500-plus, three-hour shows: And as our Bob Freed "Bob in Boston" noted earlier, "they seem to be playing them in more-or-less chronological order."

“My favorite one?” says Stevie. Aw, that's impossible to say. But for many years my sort-of 'theme song' was LUCK BE A LADY . . .

[Favorite comment below the video:]

Joey Pots n Pans
8 months ago
Are you kidding me?! Seriously, are you kidding me? Everyone else take a damn seat and watch how it's done. Simply the most dynamic performer in the history of popular music!!! And there are too many reasons why to list them here. But here's one. That's a 70 piece orchestra with Nelson Riddle behind him and all you do is watch him. If you want to be great in any endeavor you have to know that you're great. And damn - did he know it!!!!

• Members

MICHAEL BUBLE – Too Close For Comfort

On that 'Nancy for Frank' replay of a show from 2007, Nancy's daughter AJ selected Michael Buble's TOO CLOSE FOR COMFORT. This was from an album released that same year – one track on a 90th birthday tribute to Ella Fitzgerald. Most of the album, including this beauty, was arranged by Robert Mounsey. [Trivia Test: Which internationally acclaimed arranger is an “Zen Buddhist residing in Brooklyn”? Answer below].

Rob's lush jazz samba arrangement provides the perfect 'bed' for this 'be wise' love advice:

“Be soft, be sweet – but be discreet! Don't go off your feet, when she's too close for comfort ….”

Music career

ROB MOUNSEY was born in Berea, Ohio, and grew up in Seattle, Washington. At the age of 17, he was awarded a 1970 BMI Student Composer Award for his orchestral work Ilium, New York, Is Divided into Three Parts. He attended Berklee College of Music in Boston from 1971 to 1975.

In 1976, he moved to New York City to become a studio musicianarranger, and producer for a wide range of well-known artists, including Aaron NevilleAztec CameraBrian WilsonCarly SimonChaka KhanChromeoDiana KrallDiana RossDonald FagenEric ClaptonJames TaylorKaren CarpenterMadonnaMichael FranksNatalie ColePaul SimonRihannaSteely Dan, and others. He performed on keyboards in 1981 for Simon and Garfunkel's Concert in the Park.

He has composed for film and television, including the 1988 Mike Nichols film Working Girl (with Carly Simon), the film Bright Lights, Big City (with Donald Fagen) and the HBO hit series Sex and the City.[1] Mounsey wrote two long-running Emmy-winning themes for the television show Guiding Light. He is a six-time Grammy Award nominee, and a winner of two Emmy Awards.[1] He is a Zen Buddhist who resides in Brooklyn, New York.

Edited by Mark Blackburn

• Members

John Pizzarelli does a "tips jar" broadcast on Facebook each week. Left him lots of comments in 'real time' but had to watch it again today and left him a note. 

Re-watching this next day 8/6/2021) just to catch more of the witticisms that were delivered spontaneously by "the greatest husband & wife combination in show business history" (says me, that's who). Loved it when Jessica piped up: "Key? What's a key?" and around the 

14:20

mark, toward the end of a brilliant rendition of Sammy Cahn & Gene de Paul's TEACH ME TONIGHT John sings: One thing isn't very clear, my love -- should the teacher stand so near by love, C-flat's finally the key my love ...." He makes Jessica laugh. (Is there anything better than making a beautiful woman laugh?) Immediately followed by Route 66 ( around 

16:20

) Jessica asks if he's singing in key and John immediately launches into brilliant singing-out-of-key -- laugh out loud funny.

Hope one of these works for you, otherwise "John Pizzarelli Facebook"

https://www.facebook.com/JohnPizzarelliOfficial/videos/529177751666270

https://www.facebook.com/watch/live/?v=529177751666270&ref=watch_permalink

• Members

JAMES TAYLOR - Never Die Young

You could see them on the street, on a Saturday night
– everyone used to run them down:
“They're a little too sweet” [ ] “They're a little too tight”
“They're 'not enough tough' for this tough town . . . ”

To my ears, still the best song about home town envy -- with an echo of the Biblical saying about prophets being “honored everywhere but in their own home town.”

The title track from my favorite James Taylor album of almost 40 years ago (the one with a photo of a wolf on its cover). Memories of driving down highways in summer, with this cassette circulating over and over on the car stereo. And earlier memories from our youth, tinged with jealousy for that seemingly 'perfect couple':
“And we who couldn't bear to believe they might make it – we had to close our eyes. To cut off our losses, into doable doses – ration our tears and sighs... ”

Thanks James Taylor for sharing this best-ever 'live' performance (love the caption on the musical bridge: “emotional piano music”). Appreciating too the updated 'liner notes' about your great accompanists:

“After my great friend, producer and pianist Don Grolnick died in ’96, I performed with a number of excellent keyboard players. [Today] Larry Goldings does more than just accompany me. His growing presence in the world of jazz is well acknowledged, both for his own recordings and live performances and as a member of a good number of team efforts. I tend to form musical (and personal) relationships with other players and then stick with them for years. Arnold McCuller, and David Lasley have worked with me since the mid-‘70s and others nearly as long (Jimmy Johnson, Steve Gadd, Mike Landau, Kate Markowitz, Valerie Carter…) ”

• Members

SINATRA - My Heart Stood Still

Tony Bennett – who turned 95 this month (8/3/2021) – recalled a moment in Sinatra's NYC dressing room 70 years ago, when Tony sought advice about being “very nervous” before a performance. Sinatra assured him it's the best thing that can happen to you – that it's good to be nervous, “the audience can sense it,” said Frank and “they'll be even more on your side.”

Thought of that as I listened to my favorite latter-day 'live' concert performance at “Dallas TX Reunion Arena October 24, 1987.” – this, my favorite song from my favorite of his albums 'The Concert Sinatra' – Rodgers & Hart's masterpiece, MY HEART STOOD STILL.

At the end of which, Sinatra says, disarmingly to his adoring audience, “Isn't that a pretty song? Beautiful song! Thank you very much.” He had flubbed a bit of his introduction – stepped on his words; and in the middle of the performance he forgot one line: “My feet could walk ….. and walk.” But the explosion of applause at song's end, reminds us that we were “even more on his side.”

There is now an official version at YouTube with “comments turned off” so we won't “Learn more” will we?

• Members
The 'Nancy for Frank' replay tonight on Siriusly Sinatra satellite radio featured a 'live' concert performance of Steve Tyrell's GIVE ME THE SIMPLE LIFE – theme song for “Father Of The Bride II.” Most of us were introduced to Steve Tyrell in the original "Father of the Bride" where he sang my “other favorite version” of The Way You Look Tonight. His live performance shared by Nancy and Chuck isn't at YouTube but the studio version is, featuring the guitar of Bob Mann, my favorite studio musician/arranger.
So, Steve's versions of “Give Me The Simple Life” and “The Way You Look Tonight” -- both arranged by Bob Mann:

Edited by Mark Blackburn

• Members

TONY BENNETT, ANDREA BOCELLI - Stranger in Paradise

The "Sinatra Family" dot com site came to an end this month after a 24 year run. Just shared with the "Alumni" Facebook group: "Tony received birthday greetings from the great operatic tenor Andrea Bocelli – who, when invited to sing with Tony (on his DUETS II album in 2011) selected “Stranger in Paradise.” Tony introduced the song in 1953 and had the “chart-topping” best-selling version. (From the musical 'Kismet' – but you knew that.) Loved the video they made when Tony and his wife visited the Bocelli family at their beautiful home in Italy (where else?) This stands up well, a decade later, you may agree.

• Members

SINATRA - MacArthur Park

"Mind if I just sing the middle part?" Frank asked Jimmy Webb about "MacArthur Park" -- leaving out the bits about "someone left the cake out in the rain .... I don't think that I can take it, 'cause it took so long to bake it, and I'll never have that recipe again!!! Oh no!!!" For some reason I just thought of that -- and Jimmy's delight with Frank's approach to what Mr. Webb agreed was "the best part of the song."

[First comment below video]

thebleedingjeans
2 years ago (edited)
" I'm not gonna say the stupid line about the cake."
- Frank 

Edited by Mark Blackburn

• Members

NAT KING COLE - I Remember You

Pursuant to an old thread at SFF (initiated if memory serves, by Chuck Granata): "GREAT SONGS HE NEVER RECORDED": “Was it in Tahiti? Was it on the Nile? Long, long ago – say an hour-or-so – I recall that I saw you smile . . . “
At this moment Siriusly Sinatra satellite radio is playing the 'definitive' recording of I REMEMBER YOU by Nat King Cole -- Johnny Mercer's personal favorite of the many songs for which he composed the words (in this case, to a pre-existing perfect tune by film director Vic Schertzinger). Maybe “the greatest song Sinatra never recorded” (who knows why?)
Tony Bennett recorded my other favorite latter day rendition of his ART OF ROMANCE album but Mr. Bennett would tell you Nat's was the best.