GREAT MELODY, GREAT LYRIC, GREAT RENDITION

Mark Blackburn

• Members

CYNTHIA CLAWSON - Softly and Tenderly [live]

My wife (of almost 50 years) “Irene” has just lost her best friend “Marj” and is inconsolable. The two grew up together as childhood neighbors in Winnipeg Canada, and they grew old together mostly at a distance: Marg died at her home in British Columbia – one of her three sons, “Mark” at her bedside; he phoned us with the news:

Mark said he'd been 'guided' to play a particular song for his Mom – “the last thing she heard.” Was I familiar with it? “It's called Softly and Tenderly.” “Oh yes,” I said, “it's a favorite gospel song – a hymn about 'going home' – to Heaven.” Marj's son Mark just shared this video of the version (my new favorite) that his Mom was listening-to, when she breathed her last.

[Among the informed comments from kindred souls below the video:]

John Richards (3 years ago)

I first heard Cynthia's beautiful voice when l was a teenager. I'm now 66 and she's only gotten better.

James Clark (2 years ago)

You have one of the most angelic voices. I heard your rendition of the song when I saw the film, "The Trip to Bountiful". It stuck in my mind and soul. I helped lead me to the Lord. 

• Members

For those of us who still ask: "Who wrote that song?"

Did a search on the man who composed the song and his Wiki entry mentions Cynthia Clawson -- her 'definitive' performance. I boiled it down to this: For those of us who still care to ask: “Who wrote that song?”

The composer of “Softly and Tenderly” WILL THOMPSON was born I see, 100 years before me (1847) and he was only 34 when he died of an illness “contracted while on a tour of Europe.” But in his short working life, according to Wikipedia, “he founded the W. L. Thompson Music Company and tried his hand with some success at secular compositions before finding his forte in hymns and gospel songs.

Both a lyricist and composer, Thompson ensured he would always remember words or melodies that came to him at odd times. He said, "No matter where I am, at home or hotel, at the store or traveling, if an idea or theme comes to me that I deem worthy of a song, I jot it down in verse. In this way I never lose it."
Rebuffed in an early attempt to sell his songs to a commercial publisher, Thompson eventually opened the W. L. Thompson Music Company [which by] the 1880s, was one of the most prominent and successful such businesses in the United States. Thousands of music teachers and musicians ordered sheet music, instruments, and other supplies from Thompson's store. Thompson later founded a music and publishing company in Chicago.

His most well known work is the classic and enduring gospel song "Softly and Tenderly Jesus Is Calling" which has been translated into countless languages. It has been featured in the films The Trip to Bountiful, Junebug, and A Prairie Home Companion (sung by Meryl Streep and Lily Tomlin), in the Anne Tyler novel The Accidental Tourist, and the television series True Blood.

Thompson fell ill during a tour of Europe, and his family cut short their travels to return home. He died a few weeks later in New York City on September 20, 1909.

"Softly and Tenderly Jesus Is Calling" was sung by the choir of Atlanta's Ebenezer Baptist Church at the funeral for Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.[7] and is used widely today as an invitation hymn in evangelistic services. The famous evangelist Dwight L. Moody greatly admired Thompson's music [and] when Moody lay dying, Thompson called on him. Moody is said to have encouraged Thompson by saying, "Will, I would rather have written 'Softly and Tenderly' than anything I have been able to do in my whole life." Moody died shortly afterwards while singing the words of that hymn.[8][9] Cynthia Clawson's interpretation of the song is used as background throughout the 1985 movie Trip to Bountiful.[9]

• Members

SINATRA - All The Way Home

Hit the 'back 1 hour' button (three times) and it's Frank singing an obscure favorite, ALL THE WAY HOME. The Siriusly Sinatra satellite radio screen streaming on the computer reminds us that this gem is found on the “Sinatra Sings Songs of Seduction” compilation CD – one I reviewed at Amazon "5 stars January 20, 2009" closing with this note:

Other delightful rarities: "STAY WITH ME" and "ALL THE WAY HOME" . . . the latter, features a gorgeous late-in-life (1983) orchestration by the late Joe Parnello, sometimes band-leader/pianist for Sinatra. [I can imagine Frank listening to the playback of this one, and telling Joe (as he did once to sax giant Johnny Hodges after his solo on "Indian Summer") "My God, that's beautiful!"] A friend at SinatraFamily.com. points out the similarities in the Parnello arrangement's opening bars, to `Edelweiss' (from THE SOUND OF MUSIC) - just a hint, suggesting "that Joe Parnello was paying homage to Richard Rodgers."

[Rodgers perhaps inadvertently, once paid similar homage to Nelson Riddle's great `counter-melodies -- borrowing, as his five opening notes of "The Sound of Music," the same sequence of notes you'll hear on the closing orchestral flourish of Riddle's great arrangement (4 years earlier) of Sinatra's "TIME AFTER TIME."]

Ask Wikipedia 'Who wrote All The Way Home' and learn that there are plays, movies, and more than a dozen songs with that same title! The Sinatra entry tells us who wrote Frank's version: "All the Way Home", a song recorded by Frank Sinatra written by Teddy Randazzo

First version at YouTube this day [I see my namesake 'reviewed' it “2 years ago”]

• Members

SINATRA - Jeepers Creepers

I used to think (mistakenly) that Siriusly Sinatra satellite radio's programmer-extraordinaire 'Jersey Lou' Simon did all his own intros (announcements that in recent days have become increasingly informed). A moment ago, my favorite commercial radio voice (a very busy fellow -- wish I could remember his name!) played JEEPERS CREEPERS – maybe the silliest song from my favorite lyricist Johnny Mercer – set to a catchy tune from my second-favorite composer, Harry Warren (note below).

ANNOUNCER: “Now, Sirius/XM plays a great recording made in the Springtime of 1954 -- Frank's first of 14 albums with arrangements by three-time Grammy-winner Nelson Riddle. This is music from “Swing Easy.”

The Wikipedia entry includes a second footnote that wasn't there last time I checked:

"Jeepers Creepers" [was] written by Harry Warren and Johnny Mercer for the 1938 movie Going Places. It was premiered by Louis Armstrong and has been covered by many other musicians.[2] The song was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Original Song in 1938 but lost to "Thanks for the Memory".

In 1930s Hollywood, black actors were not filmed singing to each other, so Armstrong sang it to a racehorse named Jeepers Creepers.[1] The phrase "jeepers creepers", a minced oath for "Jesus Christ," predates both the song and film.[1] Mercer said that the title came from a Henry Fonda line in an earlier movie. 

Edited by Mark Blackburn

• Members

One of the Wise Men at the former Sinatra Family dot com site, "Bob of Boston" responded immediately with a link to the correct name of Siriusly Sinatra's announcer. I responded:

Bob Freed A much sought-after voice. Thanks for the note, Bob that the companies that have availed themselves of Dick Klinger's dulcet tones include:
Boeing, SAFECO, Washington Dairy Farmers, American Express, Lutheran Family Services, SodaStream, Make A Wish Michigan, Lockheed, Driscoll Strawberries, NAPA, Midas Mufflers, Pennington Seed, Champion Batteries, Northern California Ford, Minnesota Power, Parmalat Dairies, Weyerhaeuser ....

Edited by Mark Blackburn

• Members

When I look like this, my wife asks 'What's wrong?'

A friend Jacob K speculates that Bing Crosby was saying "Where are my car keys?" [I responded a moment ago]

Or "What's taking so long?" [Indulge my 'Columbo' please] First: when was this picture taken? Anyone know? The right arm out of focus – today that would be a mild telephoto – like Nikon's 'portrait lens' (105 mm) but back in the late 40s, early 50s, a professional portrait photographer would be using a “reflex” like Hasselblad or a “Rollei.”

Why is Bing so glum, almost worried looking? Would Bing have approved such a picture for public consumption? My guess, it's a test shot and Bing is being kept waiting while the photographer does final adjustment to the lighting. Look at that deep shadow below the nose. That wouldn't do!

Isn't it odd to see a grown man without facial hair? Bing would have shaved each day like the rest of us. Is that theatrical makeup? The Ladies would know. [Just as an aside: ]“That's not her real color,” says my Irene, every single time she sees a blonde on television. My wife must have seen a Nordic beauty with fine blonde hair that was “real” – but not when I'm around. I just asked her to think of a real blonde and she remembered a woman we knew in Bermuda. “She was from Norway,” said Irene, (forgetting her name because it was almost half a century ago!)

May be an image of 1 person
Edited by Mark Blackburn

• Members

SINATRA - Didn't We

Another reminder of how our favorite singer could elevate a good pop song to greatness. Recalling what the great Jimmy Webb said on Siriusly Sinatra satellite radio about his own first hit song -- DIDN'T WE: “Many times" said Mr. Webb, "I would be invited up to Las Vegas as Mr. Sinatra's guest when he was playing Caesar's Palace . . . and literally EVERYTHING was taken care-of: from the time I got out of my car, until the time I left, my money was 'no good.'

“We would meet in the afternoon. He would, maybe, smoke a cigarette. He was not a heavy smoker. But he might have a cigarette, a Jack Daniels 'straight' – and sit and listen to me, play the piano.

“He loved songwriters and he would sit there all afternoon. Until the sun was going down, sometimes. And out of one of those 'sessions' came his affection for this ballad which I wrote when I was . . . probably 17, 18 years old. It's one of the few songs I ever wrote words & music at the same time: I mean literally spitting out the lyrics while I'm humming the melody.

“At the time I was driving my car from L.A to Newport Beach: I think I was probably a hazard to normal traffic that day – 'cause I was this 'wild man' – singing this thing, and trying to drive, and trying to REMEMBER it! Because I was afraid I was going to forget it.

“When I got down to Newport Beach I went running into this house (that I'd rented with some of my fraternity brothers) and – we had a piano, and I sat down and started playing this perfectly manifested song: Fleshed-out, polished, finished – and the guys are looking at me with their mouths hanging open, saying 'Where did THAT come from?' I have to tell ya, I don't KNOW where it came from! But I know it was a wonderful 'gift.'

Edited by Mark Blackburn

• Members

SINATRA - Only One to a Customer

On his "Rarities Volume 4” show, Sinatra family friend and historian Charles Pignone shares that he was "privileged to have been there that night at the Golden Nugget in Las Vegas" for Frank's "one and only concert performance" of this great song by Carolyn (Witchcraft) Leigh and Jule (Just In Time) Styne. Carolyn was best known perhaps for Sinatra's (million-selling hit) Young At Heart. One of my favorite lyricists, Ms Leigh had a unique lyrical signature that you hear in words like these – especially when 'read' by our favorite singer:

Why despair at the fair possibility 'luck has flown'?

Stick around, stand your ground, till the cards are shown.

Because there's only one way they won't come up all 'aces high'

That's if you've let the deal pass you by!

The only previous studio recording was among the rarities in the big “suitcase” box set (that few of us could afford). For reasons I can't put into words, this song brings joy each time I hear it. You too?

• Members

“Best of Nancy for Frank - 8/10/2008” -- playing right now on Siriusly Sinatra satellite radio. Just tuned in to hear the tail end of “I Only Miss Her When I Think of Her” – with the beautiful gut-string classical guitar stylings of my favorite finger-style virtuoso from Brazil, Laurindo Almeida. He doesn't get a mention, but Nancy Sinatra singles out a couple of other guitarists – so I'm guessing that THAT was the thread running through this segment.

“Dad worked with some pretty fantastic guitarists – including Al Viola and Antonio Carlos Jobim …. and this great guitarist, Tony Mottola ('It's Sunday') and I'm so glad we have that record of Dad and Tony.

“We are playing the songs that you requested today, and as I said, you have good taste!”

“Both Rick and George from the Sinatra Family Forum requested I Only Miss Her When I Think of Her. Rick says that the song reminds him of his Gramma -- and George lost his Mom. That's a very sentimental song, especially if you've lost someone dear.”

“Another one of our Forum members Bob Freed suggested we pair another famous Sinatra song with a version of the same song – by a different artist. [and] we are happy to oblige! Bob suggested Where Or When – Dad and Tierney Sutton. I've added another pairing I especially like, so let's listen . . . "

----

Frank's 'Where or When' opens with solo piano, played out-of-tempo – Bill Miller and Frank alone together, building to a peak of vocal greatness – ending with an orchestral crescendo that distorts: I always imagine the engineer allowing the volume to slip 'into the red' zone and allowing it to be declared a 'take' before anyone listened really closely to the ending. Wonder how many mics recorded the orchestra that night? Details no longer just a mouse click away in the 'discography.'

Bob Freed's suggested pairing – with Tierney Sutton:  Inspired choice, then and now, Mr. Freed.

A single upload from nine years ago -- this one -- set to an inspired slide show with the note that the pictures are from ... “Henri Cartier-Bresson (August 22, 1908 -- August 3, 2004) – a French photographer considered to be the father of modern photojournalism. "...Te amo sin saber cómo, ni cuándo, ni de dónde, te amo directamente sin problemas ni orgullo: así te amo porque no sé amar de otra manera.." [Translation, anyone?] 

• Members

Search the words “Kris Kristofferson – Here Comes That Rainbow Again”

The first offering at YouTube this day is a video [below] to which I see my namesake appended an appreciation at the start of this year (1/28/2021).  Minutes earlier, my computer had received an alert:  Someone had clicked the “thanks” button at Kris' Facebook page concerning an Amazon review I'd written for “my favorite Kris Kristofferson compilation” ('ESSENTIAL- 2-CDs).

I'd shared it two years ago on Kris' Facebook page – quoting Willie Nelson as celebrating Kris' importance, on Ken Burns “Country Music” (PBS series). The 'Thank you' was from Kris himself!

The Amazon review (from May 9, 2009) was “5 stars” and titled: “Johnny Cash's Favorite Song He Didn't Write.” I'm losing my memory (and mind?) but the side-benefit is reading something you wrote and thinking, “That's pretty good!” Nice to know Mr. Kristofferson agreed!

----

Did you ever 'discover' a song that you can't hear without weeping? That touches your heart with the simplest of words? Well . . . buried on Disc 2 (track 15) of this splendid retrospective of Kris Kristofferson's career, is the song Johnny Cash considered the very best (of those he didn't write himself).

Here in Canada "Mr. Diana Krall" (Elvis Costello) hosts a show which recently featured a stage-full of songwriter/performers. Bracketing Mr. Costello were Kris Kristofferson and (Ravi Shankar's little girl) Norah Jones, John ("no longer Cougar") Mellencamp and Johnny Cash's daughter Roseanne.

The highlight for me (for Elvis Costello too - it brought a tear to his eye which he tried to wipe away unobtrusively during the subsequent applause from the Toronto studio audience) was Kris Kristofferson's solo performance of one of his own songs.

[Just as an aside I'm partial to Kris Kristofferson having seen him perform in a coffee house in my hometown of Ottawa Canada 45 years ago (before any of his big hits like Me & Bobby McGee) - I remember his claim to fame then was as a "Rhodes Scholar" - wonder if he remembers performing at Le Hibou (The Owl) in Ottawa; Sonny Terry & Brownie McGee had performed the week before.]

Accompanied only by himself on his new signature model "Southern Jumbo" (J-45) Gibson (the simplest of chords, strummed with his thumb) Kris provided a vivid reminder of the power of the English language. He'd introduced this song to this audience (and to me - I'd not heard it before) saying,

"I read in his (Johnny Cash's) autobiography that this might be his favorite song."

[Then, looking heavenwards, his speaking voice choked with apparent humility at that thought ]

"And so I sing it for him."

-----

The scene, is a small roadside café, the waitress is sweeping the floor;
Two truck drivers, drinking their coffee, and two Okie kids by the door

"How much are them candies?" they asked her.
"How much have you got?" she replied
"We've only a penny, between us."
"Them's `2-for-a-penny' she lied.

[THE BRIDGE, KRIS BLOWING A 2-NOTE CHORD ON HARMONICA]

And the daylight grew heavy with thunder, with the smell of the rain on the wind.
Ain't that just like a human?
Here comes that rainbow again!

[KEY CHANGE]

One truck driver called to the waitress, after the kids went outside,
"Them candies ain't two for a penny!"
"So? What's that to you?" she replied.

In silence they finished their coffee - got up, and nodded Goodbye;
She called out "Hey! You left too much money!"
"So? What's that to you?" they replied.

And the daylight was heavy with thunder, with the smell of the rain on the wind.
Ain't that just like a human?
Here comes that rainbow again."

---------

After a standing ovation from the studio audience, and during applause that seemed to last more than a minute -- and after surreptitiously brushing away with his left hand a tear from his right cheek (and the camera switched to Kristofferson, clearly moved that this simple song -- "Johnny Cash's all-time favorite" --- still had such a powerful effect), the show's host regained his composure and stopped the proceedings right there to ask a question:

ELVIS: "I just have to say something . . . before we move on . . . that song . . . is just SO beautiful! And pure! Can you remember the moment when you wrote it?

KRIS: "Yeah. It was inspired by a scene out of THE GRAPES OF WRATH. And . . . it was always the one that choked me up. And it (the words) just came out - all together."

ELVIS: "That's the thing I hear! And it's something you share with Rose (Roseanne Cash, seated next to Elvis) - and Rose's father! It's the work of a writer. Have you ever thought of writing a book?"

KRIS: `Well yes . . . "

[POLITE LAUGHTER]

"When I get old!"

[AUDIENCE BREAKS UP WITH LAUGHTER AND APPLAUSE]

Edited by Mark Blackburn

• Members
At this moment Siriusly Sinatra satellite radio is playing HOW DO YOU KEEP THE MUSIC PLAYING – just about my favorite track from the “L.A. Is My Lady” album “with Quincy Jones & Orchestra.” I've forgotten and the CD is in a box somewhere in the basement: Did Q arrange this one? Love the opening notes on solo piano. Bill Miller? Thanks, Jersey Lou Simon for keeping the music playing. The Wiki note reminds us that Frank recorded this again – on my all-time favorite of his 'Duets' pairings with Lorri Morgan.

"How Do You Keep the Music Playing?" is a song composed by Michel Legrand, with lyrics by Alan and Marilyn Bergman for the 1982 film Best Friends, where it was introduced by James Ingram and Patti Austin.[1] The Austin/Ingram version became a single in 1983 and reached #45 on the Billboard Hot 100 and #5 on the Billboard Adult Contemporary chart. It was one of three songs with lyrics by Alan and Marilyn Bergman that were nominated for the Academy Award for Best Original Song at the 55th Academy Awards.

Notable versions:

Johnny Mathis — How Do You Keep the Music Playing? (1993)
Pieces of a Dream — In Flight (1993)[2]
Frank Sinatra — L.A. Is My Lady (1984), Duets II (with Lorrie Morgan) (1994)
Vocal Majority — How Do You Keep the Music Playing (1996)
Carl Anderson — Why We Are Here! (1997)
Maureen McGovern — The Music Never Ends: The Lyrics of Alan & Marilyn Bergman (1997)
The SuperJazz Big Band of Birmingham, Alabama recorded the song on the CD, UAB SuperJazz, Featuring Ellis Marsalis (2001) Arranged and sung by Ray Reach.
Barbra Streisand — The Movie Album (2003)

Is it at YouTube? Even better: The 'live' in studio recording. 

• Members

JAMES TAYLOR – Pennies From Heaven

It's after midnight and Siriusly Sinatra satellite radio is playing James Taylor's version of PENNIES FROM HEAVEN -- a song I used to sing as a lullaby to my oldest grand children (I have eight now).

But until James made this old Johnny Burke standard his own – for his Grammy-winning AMERICAN STANDARD album (2020) – I never knew it had an opening verse! He sings these whimsical words so beautifully. And with his “arrangement for two guitars” (with John Pizzarelli) you would swear that James wrote this song!

Back a long, long time ago – a million years B.C. – when the best things in this life, were absolutely free. But no one appreciated a sky that was 'always blue.' And no one anticipated a moon that was 'always new.' So it was planned that they would vanish now and then. And we must 'pay' before we get them back again. That's what storms were made for! You shouldn't be afraid for …..

Ev'ry time it rains, it rains, pennies from heaven . . . 

First version offered at YouTube this night -- this one. [I see my namesake 'reviewed' this “1 year ago” with a link to the Sinatra Family website – which came to an end this month (8/1/2021) after a 24 year run.] 

Edited by Mark Blackburn

• Members
On his Facebook page Tony Bennett said to fans . . . 

"Happy #NationalVinylRecordDay. What albums are you spinning today?
Remember to get your pre-order in for the new vinyl LP edition of Snowfall: The Tony Bennett Christmas Album, available in October for the first time since the original pressing in 1968."

[Tony provided a link.  And I left him a note:]

"Arranged by Canadian-born Robert Farnon. Tony used to tell audiences in Canada, "You should have a statue to honor him." Musicians referred to him as The Guv'nor and to London Symphony/Philharmonic orchestras as "Bob's Band." Especially after Sinatra recorded Great Songs From Great Britain (June 1962) -- the only studio album he recorded outside the U.S. But you knew that. Tony and Bob Farnon did one other album together. Can you name it?

No photo description available.

Edited by Mark Blackburn

• Members

Okay . . . Time's Up! "THE GOOD THINGS IN LIFE" (1972) a joint release of MGM Records and Verve. “All tracks orchestrated and conducted by Robert Farnon except 'O Sole Mio' arranged by Torri Zito.”

“Recorded in England” with back cover art provided by the singer himself – a lovely watercolor portrait of the two men – close-ups of their faces in profile – Farnon (in foreground) and Tony close beside him, both considering the sheet music for “The Good Things in Life” – a song by “L. Bricusse and A. Newly” that was “introduced by Sammy Davis Jr” though I've never heard his version. Can't imagine a better reading than this one!

“I'm not here for long, but there's time for a song, and some wine!”

[Just one version at YouTube, with one informed comment below video.]

MTN - A Rainbow Pastures Company (2 years ago)

This was the title track from his 1972 album which was not on the Columbia label, it was on MGM’s sub-label, Verve. [and that] Tony went back to Columbia by the latter half of the 1970’s.

• Members

TONY BENNETT - The Second Time Around

SINATRA FAMILY FORUM ALUMNI -- there are now 95 of us in the private members group on Facebook that opened when Nancy's Sinatra Family dot com site closed this month (after a 24 year run). We'd just been discussing Frank's two versions of "The Second Time Around" (both for his own Reprise record label) and I just asked my friends: "How did the greatest living singer perform this one? -- in the studio, for his THE MOVIE SONG ALBUM (Nancy's favorite album by Tony) mostly arranged, like this track, by Tony's life-long friend Johnny Mandel, who left us last year. Almost better than Frank and Nelson's version. Almost.

Edited by Mark Blackburn

• Members
SINATRA - Reaching For The Moon

"Best of Nancy for Frank – 8/19/2007" reads the scroll for Siriusly Sinatra satellite radio this hour. 

At this moment Frank is singing in the moonlight . . .

“I'm just the words … looking for the tune, reaching for the moon -- and you.”

A lesser-known beauty composed (w&m) by Irving Berlin – from the MOONLIGHT SINATRA album – one of my favorites (yours too?)

Sinatra had never been in better voice! And Nelson Riddle's moon-dappled arrangements were never more evocative. And the recording quality!

On the musical bridge I hear the wind picking up and imagine the moon like a "ghostly galleon tossed upon cloudy seas" (see The Highwayman). The depth of the sound stage for the orchestra is just as good as any symphonic orchestra recordings of today. Set throughout, in a poignant key (D-minor) the orchestral conclusion especially is inspired – an ascending chord sequence of such beauty! I imagine Sinatra saying as much to Nelson, in the silence that followed this 'perfect take.'

Edited by Mark Blackburn

• Members
My Irene, God willing, turns 78 later this month (8/24/2021) and is very frail. Her weight in pounds is the same as her age. Her only sin, isn't a sin at all: She worries -- never about herself, only for her sons, their wives and children and loved ones (like her best friend "Marj" who died a week ago). At night in bed I awake and listen closely to her quiet breathing. The note below this video goes straight for my heart.

Andre Cartier
1 year ago
"My wife loved Frank . Lost her in " 03 " This song really hurts. How many times have I turned over in bed at 2 am, only to find she's not there."

• Members

NATALIE COLE - Midnight Sun

Siriusly Sinatra just played my favorite version of MIDNIGHT SUN by a male singer – Frank Sinatra Jr. A song that provided my favorite 'had-to-pull-the-car-over-and-phone-the-radio-station' story: of Johnny Mercer, driving in California, and hearing for the first time the melody composed by 'vibes' king Lionel Hampton in 1947 (a very good year). Seven years later Johnny provided the brilliant lyric.

Wikipedia has a list of artists who've performed Midnight Sun – but Frank Jr's version with the Billy May jazz band didn't make the list. 

"Midnight Sun" (1954) was originally an instrumental composed by Lionel Hampton and Sonny Burke in 1947 and is now considered a jazz standard. Subsequently, Johnny Mercer wrote the words to the song. One famous recording of the song with the Mercer lyrics is by Ella Fitzgerald on her 1957 album Like Someone in Love. Fitzgerald recorded the song again for her 1964 album Ella Fitzgerald Sings the Johnny Mercer Songbook. She recorded it for a third time in 1975 with jazz pianist Oscar Peterson on the Pablo release Ella and Oscar.

My favorite latter-day 'live' recording is by Natalie Cole – at a 'Tribute to Ella' concert in 2007, eight years before her death. Natalie left us New Year's eve 2015.  Only 65 years old when she died of congestive heart failure. Yes, hers is still my favorite 'live' performance of “Midnight Sun.”

• Members

SINATRA – Here's to the Band

Playing right now, on Sirius radio's latest “Sinatra Rarities” show is one of my favorite, lesser-known Sinatra songs. Love the power in 'The Voice' at the conclusion of Frank's tip-of-the-hat to The American Federation of Musicians (union):

“Here's to those Ladies …. and the Gentlemen …. of the A-F-of-M …. I wouldn't have made it without them! Here's to the band!

After the final drum roll before the silence at song's end, we hear the voice of Sinatra family friend, author Charles Pignone saying: “One more volume of the Sinatra Reprise Rarities is set to be released in the coming months . . . “

From the opening orchestral flourish – strings out-of-tempo like the overture of a Broadway show, to the concluding power of a big band at its best, this arrangement is brilliant. Who wrote this chart? And I really should remember who wrote this great 'tribute' lyric:

“Hear that music playing …. listen to what it's saying!

Throughout the years I've made a lot of friends

Many became famous; most of them go nameless

But I dedicate this song to ALL of them . . .

I've sung with the best! And I've had it all . . .

I've gone from neighborhood saloons to Carnegie Hall

I've been 'down-and-out' and I've been in demand

But I wouldn't have made it without them: Here's to the band!

Google for it and the latest offering is this “official” version of August 5 -- with 28 'likes' and “comments turned off” (so we can't learn more, can we?)

Edited by Mark Blackburn

• Members

SINATRA – This is All I Ask

“Gordon Jenkins,” says Sinatra – “words, music and orchestration.” And he repeats the composer's name at song's end over the applause of a London audience: “Gordon Jenkins!”

Siriusly Sinatra is playing Frank's finest 'live' concert rendition of Jenkins' best composition (words & music) – THIS IS ALL I ASK. Coincidentally or not, I'd had just been thinking of my favorite line from that song now that I'm 74:

“Beautiful Girls, walk a little slower, when you walk by me …. ”

One of the sweet things about growing old: some great old songs improve with age -- perhaps because we've become the song's 'protagonist'?

Recalling something Johnny Mercer said to Canadian-born lyricist Gene (Quiet Nights of Quiet Stars) Lees: the two were walking along a sidewalk in a trendy district of Toronto Canada and two young very beautiful girls approached, and walked right past them, without a glance at these two old guys:  who had the same thought, expressed in the almost same words: “Remember when we were young, and the beautiful girls would look our way?" But now you're old and wish that they would 'walk a little slower.'

Edited by Mark Blackburn

• Members

J'attendrai -- by Barcelona jazz musicians

Can you spare four minutes to enjoy some “Gypsy” jazz? [First though, a Wiki note about the Italian/French song from the 1930s:

"J'attendrai" (French for "I will wait"[1]) is a popular song first recorded by Rina Ketty in 1938. It became the big French song of World War II: a counterpart to Lale Andersen's Lili Marleen in Germany and Vera Lynn's We'll Meet Again in Britain.

"J'attendrai" is actually a French version of the Italian song "Tornerai" (Italian for "You Will Return" composed by Dino Olivieri (music) and Nino Rastelli (lyrics) in 1936, said to be inspired from the 'Humming Chorus' of Puccini's Opera "Madame Butterfly". First recorded in 1937 by both Carlo Buti and Trio Lescano (accompanied by the Italian jazz quartet Quartetto Jazz Funaro) it became a huge hit in Italy.

With French lyrics written by Louis Poterat, "J'attendrai" became an overnight success. When France was occupied in 1940, it quickly became the big French war song, with the love song's title being interpreted as meaning waiting for peace and/or liberation.

The French version of this Italian song became so well known across Europe that it was often called "J'attendrai" – even when recorded instrumentally, such the two versions recorded by [Belgian Gypsy jazz giant] Django Reinhardt and [his French violinist] Stéphane Grappelli in 1938.

Inspired by Django Reinhardt's version, many stars of the European Gypsy Jazz scene have recorded the song, including . . . [their list does not include these wonderful musicians, from Barcelona Spain:]

2019 J'attendrai - ÈLIA BASTIDA & JOAN CHAMORRO TRIO " the magic sound of the violin."

Some of the best jazz in the world is coming from Barcelona Spain! As a personal aside, as a guitarist I love their weapons-of-choice: He is playing a "D'Angelico" reproduction of a guitar created by the greatest ever jazz archtop luthier, John D'Angelico of NYC. She is playing George Benson's best-ever signature instrument created by Ibanez Guitars, Japan. But you knew that!

Edited by Mark Blackburn

• Members

NANCY WILSON - If Love Is Good To Me

Funny how the singing voices of the great ones are instantly recognizable – like the “wondrous thing” that is the voice of Nancy Wilson. (Among her nick-names – 'The Girl With The Honey-Coated Voice.')
As I type this, Siriusly Sinatra satellite radio is re-introducing me to an old, should-have-been-a-standard -- IF LOVE IS GOOD TO ME – a song too obscure for a Wikipedia note, but the album it's from has its own comprehensive Wiki entry (below).

From Nancy's 'Gentle Is My Love' album – a black vinyl LP I can remember borrowing from a friend – back in the day when you paid cash for everything, or else it wouldn't be yours …. and you could only purchase so many albums right?  That's what friends were for:  Building separate record libraries with free loan services!

I loved this track in particular. I realize now, (as I must have then) that the melody borrows from my favorite song composed by Buddy Holly, “Raining in my Heart.” You hear it, in the ascending notes for the words, “Spring will come, the grass will grow, the brooks will flow, with melted snow ….”

The GENTLE IS MY LOVE album was recorded “In new and improved stereo” [with] “Lush and lovely arrangements by Sid Feller.”  

It's at YouTube – uploaded three summers ago to 34 “likes” (let's make that 35) from “Nancy Wilson – Topic” with “comments turned off” (a pity).

Side One, track 3 of Nancy's 1965 album which has it's own comprehensive Wikipedia entry:  "If Love Is Good To Me" (Fred Spielman, Redd Evans) - 3:10
Gentle Is My Love is a 1965 studio album by Nancy Wilson. It spent 24 weeks on the Billboard Top 200, peaking at No. 17,[4] and reached No. 7 on the Hot R&B LPs chart.[5] The album contains a mixture of standards from the Great American Songbook and more recent popular material.

In his AllMusic review, William Ruhlmann says that Gentle Is My Love is "a collection of romantic ballads that Wilson addresses with her characteristic emotionalism and precision. The arrangements are full of lush string parts, and the tempos are taken deliberately." Ruhlmann notes that Wilson covered several songs that were usually associated with men and performed as "soaring, heroic anthems," whereas she turns them into "more intimate, reflective ballads."[2] A 1970 re-issue of the album was entitled Who Can I Turn To.[6]

Nancy Wilson left us December 13, 2018 at age 81; her great arranger/producer on this album died 15 years ago. His online bio opens with the note:

Sidney "Sid" Feller was an American conductor and arranger, best known for his work with Ray Charles. He worked with Charles on hundreds of songs including Georgia on My Mind and worked as Charles' conductor while on tour. Ray Charles once said of him "if they call me a genius, then Sid Feller is Einstein." [739.ece] Wikipedia

Born: December 24, 1916, Brooklyn, New York, United States
Died: February 16, 2006, Beachwood, Ohio, United States

Edited by Mark Blackburn

• Members

CHRIS BUCK - Was George Harrison a good guitarist?

Informed commentary by a brilliant blues guitarist -- Chris Buck of Wales -- was just sent my way via YouTube.  As if to say, "We think you'll appreciate this."  Yes indeed, and so will my guitarist son Ben and guitarist grandson Thomas when I share this with them.  [Just left Chris a note:]

What a wonderful reflection on George Harrison's greatness -- informed, informative and a joy to hear. Thanks for sharing, Chris Buck. Oh yes and it takes a terrific guitarist to play Harrison 'licks' as perfectly as you do. There are aspects to your technique that I've not seen before. You bring something new to the game.

Oh yes, you asked about our "favorite George Harrison moment" and a kindred soul in England Phil Mason recently shared a memory of George that brought me to tears:

"My Grandmother knew the Harrison family, she regularly used to see him when he was a baby and made a great fuss of him. She used to get a card off him every Christmas. She passed away in the early 80's at the great age of 93. My mother desperately tried to let George know, but by then, of course, he was a household name. So she never knew if her efforts to inform him had got through.

"On the day of my Grandmother's funeral (in Liverpool) a man dressed very casually was seated at the back of the church. Mother briefly spoke to him and he hugged her for a minute or so, no one realized who he was. He thanked her for letting him know. After the service he just melted away and disappeared. "He made such an effort when a simple note would have been nice. What a wonderful, kind, caring man."

p.s. Your reflection on the history of Gretsch guitars was superb -- concise, yet comprehensive.

In 1971 as a radio announcer in Ottawa Canada I interviewed my life-long hero Chet Atkins for half an hour before he went on stage with Boots Randolph and Floyd Cramer. He asked me what I thought of Gretsch guitars -- his signature model after I mentioned playing a few of them in guitar stores across Ontario. A shadow crossed his face when I said, "the bindings are not as good as a Gibson's."

Decades later I would learn that production had shifted at that time to a plant in Arkansas and Chet thanked me for my "honesty." Which is to say, thanks Chris for mentioning the Arkansas connection in your commentary. Did I mention that you are one terrific guitarist?

Edited by Mark Blackburn

• Members

KAREN CARPENTER - When I fall in love

All day today Siriusly Sinatra satellite radio has included in its playlist song versions I've not heard before! At this moment Karen Carpenter is singing the most beloved song from Frank Sinatra's composer friend Victor Young – WHEN I FALL IN LOVE – complete with an opening verse that's new to me! Words by Edward (Body & Soul) Heyman (note below).

Karen was only 32 when she left us in 1983. Her Wiki entry notes that

Carpenter died of heart failure due to complications from anorexia nervosa, which was little-known at the time, and her death led to increased visibility and awareness of eating disorders. Her work continues to attract praise, including appearing on Rolling Stone's 2010 list of the 100 greatest singers of all time.”

Is her version at YouTube? Even better, a late-in-life television performance which transcends the video tape quality of the time. 

I Googled the name Edward Heyman and learned he was my age (74) when he died in Mexico in 1981. His Wiki entry notes his quick rise to greatness as a song writer:

After graduating from college Heyman moved back to New York City where he started working with a number of experienced musicians like Victor Young ("When I Fall in Love"), Dana Suesse, ("You Oughta Be in Pictures") and Johnny Green ("Body and Soul," "Out of Nowhere," and "I Cover the Waterfront."

Heyman's biggest hit was "Body and Soul," written in 1930, which was often recorded (notably in 1939 by Coleman Hawkins and by many others), which frequently crops up in films, most recently in 2002's Catch Me If You Can. Heyman also wrote "Through the Years," "For Sentimental Reasons," "Blame It on My Youth" (with Oscar Levant), "Love Letters," "Blue Star" (theme of the television series Medic), "The Wonder of You," "Boo-Hoo," "Bluebird of Happiness," "They Say," and "You're Mine, You!"

Heyman was an ASCAP writer inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame in 1975.

• Members

SINATRA / GLADYS KNIGHT & STEVIE WONDER – For Once In My Life

Just a day after sharing elsewhere about my favorite 'concert' performance of 'For Once In My Life' by Tony Bennett and Stevie Wonder -- they won the Grammy for this one -- Siriusly Sinatra is playing my “other favorite version” of same: The greatest living harmonica virtuoso accompanies Frank and Gladys Knight. Channel 71's programmer-extraordinaire 'Jersey Lou' Simon whispering from the wings:
“I believe THIS is your favorite rendition!”