Headphones (in-ear type) instead of IEM?

• Members

Big problem: no limiting. IEM's have limiting to protect your ears. You can seriously damage your hearing with one burst of feedback through headphones.

I was thinking that the monitor out jack on the board had one volume level, and nothing could really get louder unless that volume knob were turned up.

No???

Why wouldn

• Members

I was thinking that the monitor out jack on the board had one volume level, and nothing could really get louder unless that volume knob were turned up.

Q: What happens IF that volume knob gets turned up then?

A: What's that? I can't hear you.

• Members

Would the monitor out even give enough signal to work with headphones through the snake?

I have a bunch of issues with that idea. The first of which is no limiter. Blow your eardrums once and they do not come back. Lots of us old timers here have tinnitus and it is not something I'd wish on my worst enemy. 24/7 noise in my right ear doing on somewhere over 20 years at this point. Your hearing is worth whatever you need to buy to get a proper IEM system.

You really want to plug a set of wired headphones into the snake? Hopefully you are the drummer because those cords are pretty short and adding 1/4" extension cables just makes more problems. Monitors can feedback when a mic moves, even if the settings at the board don't change. Ever have a mic stand fall on stage? Imagine that with a direct connection to you ear drums.

Seriously, save yourself the cost of the headphones and stick a couple icepicks in your ears.

Sorry if I'm being an asshole but living with this constant noise and not being able to hear people talking to me is pretty bad. If me being an asshole helps you to not go through what I am going through, it is worth it.

• Members

And if you're using plain old headphones, it likely doesn't address your initial problem, because you'll have a ton of bleed-through from stage volume regardless.

Depends on the headphones. Some have great isolation and are probably better than the cheap stock ear bud foams. Compared to a molded set of buds though........

Archived