Headphone Out from DFX6 to QSC K12's?

• Members

I'm filling in on keys w/a bar band on Friday nite and I'll have my QSC K12's as my stage rig - can run them in stereo, sounds insanely great for keys... but I also want to send a stereo feed to the house mix.

My Mackie DFX6 has no way to do that - unless I send L/R Main Outs to the house and somehow feed my QSC K12's from the Headphone Out jack... is that doable?

I really should invest in small mixer that has the "Control Room Out" feature like many of them do nowadays - like a Yamaha MG82CX. But I do like the fact that the Mackie DFX6 has faders instead of knobs (although it's a bigger footprint) and it has a standard IEC power cord connection, which beats the "lump in the line" set up any day.

So does the Headphone output have enough signal to send to my K12's for stage monitoring purposes? I have an adapter that has a Tip/Ring/Sleeve male 1/4 in. and two female 1/4 in. jacks on other end - I have cables w/TRS male 1/4 in. that could go into that and other end is male XLR, one into each of the K12's - would that do it? :confused:

• Members

A few thoughts. What about the AUX send on the DFX, is it in use?

Is the keys the only thing that will be in your K12's? If so you could go through the K12 first and then to the mixer.

Another option would be to use a DI box with a parallel out and run that to your K12's.

I think you could even run a vox line as well as the keys through the K12's and then off to the mixer.

• Members

A few thoughts. What about the AUX send on the DFX, is it in use?

Is the keys the only thing that will be in your K12's? If so you could go through the K12 first and then to the mixer.

Another option would be to use a DI box with a parallel out and run that to your K12's.

I think you could even run a vox line as well as the keys through the K12's and then off to the mixer.

Aux Send would be the way to do it normally - use L/R Main Outs to my K12's and send an Aux. Send line to the Mains - but I want to run both my K12's and the Mains in Stereo, Aux. Send is only Mono. :cry::lol:

I could even use the K12's as pass-throughs to the Mains, since they have XLR Outs on the back of them - but using the Headphone knob on the mixer as a Stage Volume control gives me instant control: ie, if I get too loud on stage I cut that knob back but it does NOT affect the gain of the signal going to the Mains. :thu:

• Members

A pair of y-cables from the main outs can drive the house feed and your K's. The headphone jack is on the same bus as the mains, so whatever you've got the right cables/adapters for will be fine.

But if I use the Headphone jack for my K12's I can send as little or much singanl to the K12's w/out affecting what I send to the Main house mix, right?

That's the whole point of what I want to do - to have two stereo feeds: one from Headphone out to my K12's on stage, other from Main Outs to FOH - so that I can have separate volume control for each.

• CMS Author

But if I use the Headphone jack for my K12's I can send as little or much singanl to the K12's w/out affecting what I send to the Main house mix, right?

That's the whole point of what I want to do - to have two stereo feeds: one from Headphone out to my K12's on stage, other from Main Outs to FOH - so that I can have separate volume control for each.

All depends how you want to control levels. If you anticipate changing levels during the show, the headphone jack is good. If you want single control over everything, the y-cable is good.

• Members

All depends how you want to control levels. If you anticipate changing levels during the show, the headphone jack is good. If you want single control over everything, the y-cable is good.

Using the Y cable from Headphone will be good for me, I only need control over my stage rig, the Mackie DFX6 mixer to the QSC K12's. The Main house system will be controlled by one of the guitarists - I say "one of" because this band I'm filling in for has 2 gtr. players... grrrr :mad: - a keyboard player's nightmare! :facepalm::lol:

But w/my K12's, at least I'll be heard on stage. :thu: The house mix I won't have any control over. I think it's the bar's system - a Peavey RQ2300 mixer powered by something? and running to Peavey SP2's, hanging overhead. Or maybe they're Peavey SP5's, I don't remember.

Archived