Don't Rain on My Parade

• Members

Does anyone have any techniques/ideas on mic'ing in the rain? Assuming the FOH is covered, is there any way to protect the mics while still getting a "passable" signal? I know that "saying no to the gig" is an option, so moving past that...

Whaddya do?

• Members

I've heard the condoms theory... might give that a shot.

Here's the context:

My university band hosts a state-wide high school marching band competition every year. The 12 piece group I play in plays during the vote tallying portion on the field. We have weather-treated EV Zx5's as mains that we use on the field during normal game-day performance, and we'll use those for the 12 piece performance. The board will be under a tent on the sideline. Snake will hopefully be covered on the field. Because of the time and lack-of-stage/tent limitations, the mics will be exposed to the forecasted rain.

Aged, is that an honest question, or a "you shouldn't be in the rain"-veiled question? Sometimes I can't read your tone very well...

• Members

Aged, is that an honest question, or a "you shouldn't be in the rain"-veiled question? Sometimes I can't read your tone very well...

Actually, a little of both.

If nothing bad happens, it doesn't matter but IF something were to happen you might find that everybody becomes really interested in what kind of insurance you have, and if you own a house or have potential for good future earnings this might be a very important question to consider.

Consider the risks. I refused to do a show about 20 years ago where it was drizzling and as the public entity entrusted me to make the "right" decision (I did carry insurance and was a "trusted" vendor for this institution) which I did and shut down and locked off the power. The next day another sound company along with the student organizers cut the lock on the power source and connected their power, ran cables under water in rain filled gutters and muddy lawn to get the next day started. The health and safety inspector saw what was going on and shut everything down. Got a call on Monday asking why I thought it was a good idea to run power in the rain and under water and that I breeched their trust. I told them that I had shut down on Friday night and locked everything up just as he asked. The other sound company was banned from workingat that institution ever again. I ended up doing 700-800 shows for them over the next 15 years so following the rules certainly paid off for me (many times over) in this example.

• Members

Unfortunately as a student in a student group, I don't have any say about insurance. As Equipment Manager (whoopee) for this group, I do have the say on whether or not the mics go out. Unfortunately, I think they might have to not go out...unless the student health center can provide me with protection :lol:

Thanks for the thoughts, all.

• Members

As Equipment Manager (whoopee) for this group, I do have the say on whether or not the mics go out. Unfortunately, I think they might have to not go out...unless the student health center can provide me with protection
:lol:

How about buying some cheap planter mics for the application? I'd think an 'ok' cheap mic could deliver possibly better results than a good mic wearing a condom. Actually, I believe if you look around you can find cheap planter mics for not much more cost than condoms.

• Members

My university band hosts a state-wide high school marching band competition every year. The 12 piece group I play in plays during the vote tallying portion on the field. We have weather-treated EV Zx5's as mains that we use on the field during normal game-day performance, and we'll use those for the 12 piece performance. The board will be under a tent on the sideline. Snake will hopefully be covered on the field. Because of the time and lack-of-stage/tent limitations, the mics will be exposed to the forecasted rain.

Personally I don't like the idea of playing in the rain with all those electronics to begin with. But add to that playing with hardwired mics while potentially standing in a puddle on the ground in a grassy field? No thanks. If I were wanting to be somewhat safe about it I would be looking into wireless mics. Not that it's a fool proof method, but at least that hardwire connection is broken. It would also save you time in setting up the field. Just a thought.

As for the original question; like whoe ever said it above me- I would try condoms. You might want to put a windscreen over it thought... There's just something wrong with singing into a reservoir tip! :facepalm:

Perhaps a windscreen would be enough to protect them for the short amount of time they would actually be exposed to the rain.

Archived