Cympad Optimizers?

davie

• Moderators

Hey guys,

I was wondering if any of you have any experiences with the Cympad Optimizers. I just ordered a Starter pack. I'm not a drummer myself, but I got these for my drummer to improve the sound of our drum recordings. Crash cymbals sustain seemed to cutting out short for some reason, so I was hoping these would have an improvement on it. Thoughts?

• Members

id be surprised if that makes a noticeable difference...    i would look at mic placement/selection right off the bat.   cymbal selection and placement...   physics dictate that a cymbal hanging perfectly horizontal will sustain longer than the same cymbal under identical conditions hanging at angle...   

• Moderators

Okay. Here's an update on my experiences with the cympad. Just got back from a drum recording session, we installed the cympads and did a bunch of takes.

When comparing recordings from 2 weeks ago to the recordings made today, my general impression is that there is a more defined attack on all cymbal pieces (hi-hat, ride, crashes). The piece with the most noticeable difference was the ride cymbal, the attack had much more presence. Crash cymbals seemed to have a bit a longer but more even sustain. In my opinion, I think these might be a good addition to a drum recording setup looking for a extra boost in cymbal definition.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

If your drummer was using very thick felt pads or maybe doubling up on them and torquing down on the wing nut to the point the cymbal wasn't moving freely, then you would notice choking (and if your drummer is a hard-hitter, perhaps cracks in the cymbals).  Going from a situation like that to using a thinner felt pad on the top and bottom or a thinner felt pad on the bottom with nothing on top and allowing the cymbal to move freely would result in more sustain / less choking and more shimmer.  However, if you're going from an OEM thin felt pad to an after-market name-brand thin felt pad, there will not be any audible difference regardless of who endorses it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
On 10/1/2019 at 9:59 AM, jgthatsme said:

If your drummer was using very thick felt pads or maybe doubling up on them and torquing down on the wing nut to the point the cymbal wasn't moving freely, then you would notice choking (and if your drummer is a hard-hitter, perhaps cracks in the cymbals).  Going from a situation like that to using a thinner felt pad on the top and bottom or a thinner felt pad on the bottom with nothing on top and allowing the cymbal to move freely would result in more sustain / less choking and more shimmer.  However, if you're going from an OEM thin felt pad to an after-market name-brand thin felt pad, there will not be any audible difference regardless of who endorses it.

It’s all physics...  the angle the cymbal hangs probably has more effect on sustain than the pad it rests upon.   (surface area/compaction rate etc. being relative)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived