Slightly OT: What type of music should I play?

• Members

OK, I'm getting ready to go out and do a single, acoustic country rock etc.. I have a CD player in my rack. What type of music should be played during the breaks? I thought that music in the same genre wouldn't work. You guys who do sound and provide break music what do you do to not conflict with the acts.

• Members

Don't play anything too outside your area. If folks like what you're doing then you don't want them turned off by some other style of music. On the other hand, if you're mellow and then play party music in the breaks, it makes you look bad, if the crowd grooves to that instead of your stuff.

My vote is for similar music, and certainly at a lower volume so you sound bigger when you take the stage again.

• Members

I use Denzil's Pub CD. It's just different enough from most of the acts that play through my system as not to "upstage" anyone and it's chock full of songs that were meant to be heard in a bar. Think modern "Tear in my Beer" with a heavy dose of British wit and you've got the idea... and I think it helps sell more drinks, too... it's a little depressing. It's over 15 years old and the fact that it still holds up today is testament to the quality of the tunes. Someone always comes up and asks what the break music was... I take that as another good sign.

Archived