Advice for adding on to small PA system

• Members

I listened (er, read
;)
), but as I explained beforehand, hauling a huge-ass S118V passive subwoofer is not a fun proposition to me. But I guess if I want the band to sound good (which I do), I should have speakers that match what I already have, right?

I am just concerned about set-up and being able to fit everything into one vehicle. I don't want to have to take the SUV *and* the van. When I put all of the stuff in the SUV, there was absolutely NO room for the subwoofer. I had to make a second trip. Thankfully, that gig was in town. This is not going to work if I'm playing a gig out of town. So, after I get the van fixed, I will have to see if that big sub can actually fit in there with everything else. I'm thinking it will. Only problem is the van is used and needs an alternator so now I have to get that taken care of first. It's always something...

I will look into that G-X3 amp you mentioned. I know the Yamaha P2500S/P3500S amps can do something similar, but I respect your experience. And I would like the Allen & Heath MixWiz everyone is raving about, but for the budget, something like a Yamaha MG166CX is, like you said, only around $400 compared to $1000 for the A&H. And I do like the features of my Yamaha powered mixer (specifically the set-it-and-forget-it compressors on certain inputs).

Or any unpowered sub, though your budget makes the Yamaha much more friendly, there are other options. The GX-3 is smaller and lighter than any of the other options presented so far in the amp catagory. Fits your budget and 6 year warranty too.

• Members

Another decent passive sub that's fairly moderately priced is the Peavey SP118. I lucked into a blowout for $359 brand new. It's rated at 1200w "program power", but I find 350 watts gets quite a bit of thump out of it, and it's not too bad to handle alone. Always be on the lookout for deals. I got my Yamaha Club S112IVs for $200 apiece brand new when the the Vs came out.

• Members

those don't put out much at all.

I've only had one experience with them and I thought it sounded pretty good. I have no idea how it would work for this application but I thought it was in the same leagues as the TC Helicon. Guess not.

• Members

I think I'll take "a little from here and a little from there" and do the following:

Buy a new QSC GX-3 power amp ($300).

Buy a used Yamaha S118V passive subwoofer from the store I teach at ($400-).

Buy two Yamaha SM12V passive floor monitors (hopefully $500 or less for the pair).

Put everything through the Yamaha EMX512SC's mixer.

Take the Main Out of the mixer to the GX-3.

Take the lows from the GX-3 and put them through the subwoofer.

Take the highs and put them through the two S115V mains (daisy-chained).

Since neither amp is being used in the powered mixer, I'll use one of them for the monitors (also daisy-chained).

Voil

Archived