What is Yamaha's comparable mixer to the AH ZED 10?

• Members

I've also got a MixWiz3 16;2, and 'round about the time I bought the MixWiz, I also bought a Soundcraft EFX-8 for potential use as a sub-mixer. I started using the EFX-8 for small/portable acoustic-guitar gigs, and was very impressed with it's performance. I now routinely use it for vocals for our 4-piece band practices, and I'm very happy with the EQ and FX of this unit (Lexicon), plus it has a built-in power-supply. It's also quite portable (roughly 13" x 14.5") and around 8 Lbs. I carry it in a Gator G-Mix 15"x15" shoulder-bag. I think it's a heckuva nice little unit for the money. (8 mic-pre's, inserts, swept-mid, 1 aux-send) VERY CLEAN sound.

• Members

Looks like the Yamaha MG124CX will be the way I go. Thanks!
:thu:

That is the mixer that I was seriously considering. Another forum I get to had a guy who had the smaller mg82cx and thought it wasn't big enough so he brought it back to get the 124cx. He said he was disappointed at the build. He felt the plastic on the smaller mixer felt sturdier but when the same plastic was used to a larger scale that it just felt flimsy and cheap. (Not my words but his even though that's not a direct quote) He decided to bring that one back and got himself the ZED 12FX which he felt was a great build besides having the swept mids. I based my final wavering on that post and went for the ZEDFX. I found an ebay dealer than accepted my "Make an Offer" of $420 shipped. I think this board will last a long time.

• Members

That is the mixer that I was seriously considering. Another forum I get to had a guy who had the smaller mg82cx and thought it wasn't big enough so he brought it back to get the 124cx. He said he was disappointed at the build. He felt the plastic on the smaller mixer felt sturdier but when the same plastic was used to a larger scale that it just felt flimsy and cheap. (Not my words but his even though that's not a direct quote) He decided to bring that one back and got himself the ZED 12FX which he felt was a great build besides having the swept mids. I based my final wavering on that post and went for the ZEDFX. I found an ebay dealer than accepted my "Make an Offer" of $420 shipped. I think this board will last a long time.

Are you saying the Yamaha is a plastic housing and not metal? Please say this isn't so. If that is not the case what plastic parts are you saying are flimsy?

• Members

Are you saying the Yamaha is a plastic housing and not metal? Please say this isn't so.

Apparently, that is the case. The A&H and the Soundcraft on the other hand, use a steel chassis with vertically mounted PCB's, and the pots are nutted to the steel chassis. Personally, I also don't like the idea of wall-warts/ line-lumps. Those tiny wires appear so vulnerable to me.

• Members

Are you saying the Yamaha is a plastic housing and not metal? Please say this isn't so. If that is not the case what plastic parts are you saying are flimsy?

"I" didn't say any parts were flimsy. I don't remember specifically what this other guy said. After he got the ZED he also said that the sliders were night and day in the smoothness.

• Members

Hmmm...well, now that I think about it, the back/bottom might be plastic. I know the top is metal because I took it apart in an attempt to see if I could determine the problem. I dropped mine just about a year ago and killed channels 1 and 2...and now channel 3 is kaput. Hence my advice above not to drop it!

• Members

The plastic parts are the cheeks and trim. No big deal, the cheeks come off for rack mounting (the ones that can be rack mounted) anyway.

I read somewhere, the words "plastic chassis". I'm not going to spend time now, trying to find it , but Yamahas' site makes no mention of the chassis materials from what I could quickly see. If it were steel, I think they'd say so. Soundcraft states quite clearly, "steel chassis". The MG mixers I looked at, at the store, had no "cheeks" from what I recall. The Soundcraft MFXi does appear to have a formed plastic trim around the outside edge of the board. My EFX-8 is all steel.

Here's an excerpt from a SoundOnSound review of the MG166CX;

"As with its smaller counterpart, the MG166CX USB is built into a rigid plastic case, this time with 19-inch rack-mounting points built in, and power again comes from an external adaptor with a locking connector."

• Members

I read somewhere, the words "plastic chassis". I'm not going to spend time now, trying to find it , but Yamahas' site makes no mention of the chassis materials from what I could quickly see. If it were steel, I think they'd say so. Soundcraft states quite clearly, "steel chassis". The MG mixers I looked at, at the store, had no "cheeks" from what I recall. The Soundcraft MFXi does appear to have a formed plastic trim around the outside edge of the board. My EFX-8 is all steel.

Here's an excerpt from a SoundOnSound review of the MG166CX;

"As with its smaller counterpart, the MG166CX USB is built into a
rigid plastic case
, this time with 19-inch rack-mounting points built in, and power again comes from an external adaptor with a locking connector."

The only ones I have worked on are the larger MG's, they have an all steel chassis with plastic trims. The smaller ones have a metal front panel and look like a combination of metal sub-chassis with a plastic overchassis on the back but I don't know for sure since those are throwaway mixers and I will never see one in for repair. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them though because Yamaha has a good history of building reliable product in this class and they have been out for a while with no significant problems. The older small models used an all steel chassis like the larger MG's, with the same trim pieces and flipable rack adapters.

• Members

Get a used MixWiz. It's the best board.

I have a Mixwiz 16.3.1. Because I will be going solo and only needing 3-4 channels I'm looking for something a little smaller to haul around.

BTW, I am not getting rid of the Mixwiz. Way too nice and as soon as I would get rid of it I would need it. Been there done that. :)

• CMS Author

The only ones I have worked on are the larger MG's, they have an all steel chassis with plastic trims. The smaller ones have a metal front panel and look like a combination of metal sub-chassis with a plastic overchassis on the back but I don't know for sure since those are throwaway mixers and I will never see one in for repair. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them though because Yamaha has a good history of building reliable product in this class and they have been out for a while with no significant problems. The older small models used an all steel chassis like the larger MG's, with the same trim pieces and flipable rack adapters.

I took a closer look. The new models use all-steel chassis only in the 24 and 32 frame size. All of the smaller models have a steel top panel with a turned-down flange on the sides that is screwed onto a plastic "tub" (for lack of a better term) that makes up most of the sides, and the entire bottom.

• Members

I took a closer look. The new models use all-steel chassis only in the 24 and 32 frame size. All of the smaller models have a steel top panel with a turned-down flange on the sides that is screwed onto a plastic "tub" (for lack of a better term) that makes up most of the sides, and the entire bottom.

There may be a steel sub-chassis under much of the plastic back too. Don't know for sure since I don't see them in for repair but that's not unusual for Yamaha.

Archived