Anyone Use Silicone on Larger PA Cables?

• Members

I've had cables in the past where when you unscrewed the barrel of the 1/4 plug, there was a drop of silicone between the pos/neg posts..

Putting together some heavy PA cable onto large barrel 1/4 plug and wondering if there is even a chance of a spark occuring between the pos/neg posts??? Silicone between the posts not a bad idea? Or is it a waste of time and rubber? Ha.

Thanks.

• Members

It's 12 gauge cable. I can't tell you the make of the plug as I pulled the plug off one end and used a banana plug on it so I'm just putting the original 1/4 plug back on. It has VERY heavy duty posts on it and no strain relief unless I decided to shrink rap it.

I'm still wondering if putting rubber silicone between the posts is a good idea?

• Members

you probably should not use 1/4 ends on 12 gauge cable. i dont want to flare up an ongoing argument, but will say there at least to reasons not two do this.

1. the cable becomes to heavy with the extra big jack and extra heavy cable. too much strain on a flimsy designed jack/receiver.

2. if you need 12 gauge cable, your power requirements likely exceed the capacity for a 1/4 end.

you should convert to speakon, really you should.

this has been argued to the point of bans around here in the past, lets not go there.

• Members

you probably should not use 1/4 ends on 12 gauge cable. i dont want to flare up an ongoing argument, but will say there at least to reasons not two do this.

1. the cable becomes to heavy with the extra big jack and extra heavy cable. too much strain on a flimsy designed jack/receiver.

2. if you need 12 gauge cable, your power requirements likely exceed the capacity for a 1/4 end.

you should convert to speakon, really you should.

this has been argued to the point of bans around here in the past, lets not go there.

Sorry, had no idea! I just wondered if the silicone was an effective form of protection...

I freely admit that this is one of my favorite forums, but I don't read every post and haven't been around that long.

• Members

if you want to convert to speakon we can get you there. its not terribly hard.

what speakers/amps are you using?

i've never seen silicon in a 1/4 jack.

I've also installed SpeakOns, no big deal. And you're right, at some point they'll all be converted.

I had a quality cable that I pulled the head off one time and there was a bead of silicon between the pos/neg lugs. I thought: this is kinda cool... Extra protection between the pos/neg lugs. My question is, does this work? Make sense?

I seriously didn't mean for this to get into a in depth discussion that has already been discussed, and apparently has some strong feelings about.

Is there any advantage at all between placing a bead of silicone between the pos/neg lugs? Kinda like wrapping them with shrink tube or even electrical tape? Does it work?

• Members

By the way, this is the first New Years that I haven't played in a long time. No sweat, I'm digging it but I freely admit to have all sorts of libations but I seriously admire and appreciate the comments from you guys on this forum...

Thanks a bunch and I wish you all a Happy New Year!

UMT

• Members

Is there any advantage at all between placing a bead of silicone between the pos/neg lugs? Kinda like wrapping them with shrink tube or even electrical tape? Does it work?

Andy (agedhorse) offered the correct answer.

Let me rephrase Andy's answer: If the cord end or assembly methods needs silicone to assist in guarding against malfunction, then either the cord ends themselves are not to be trusted and/or the assembly method is not to be trusted. Addition of the silicon would basically be the same as keeping a rabbits foot in your pocket for good luck. If it makes you feel good to do it, there's probably no harm, but there's probably no real benefit either.

Archived