Peavey Kosmos used on kick drum insert

• Members

Hi guys, another learning question from me.

We've got a Peavey Kosmos in the PA rack that I want to try using on the kick drum

insert to see how it sounds.

The Kosmos has both XLR and 1/4" input and output connections, and channel A and B. From reading on here, I've noticed it needs 2 different signal sources to work? What is the proper way to use it on a single channel as an insert?

I purchased an insert cable- 1/4" TRS which Y's to two 1/4" TS plugs to hook it up, and connected to channel A I think. Does it matter which channel?

Thanks!

• Members

You can use a Y cable on the input ... but you MUST have A and B inputs connected, they can be the same signal however.

I hope you have a boatload of headroom available in your system because getting the benefits take a LOT of power.

• Members

I've used this the same way before. Instead of inserting it on the kick, use a direct out from the channel annd return it to another channel. Then blend the two. You'll get the best results like that. When inserting it you're going to lose the top end definition from the kick.

And to agree with the above, make sure you have enough bottom end headroom in the system to accomodate the need.

• Members

You can use a Y cable on the input ... but you MUST have A and B inputs connected, they can be the same signal however.

I hope you have a boatload of headroom available in your system because getting the benefits take a LOT of power.

Don't know if our system is built to handle the Kosmos, but I'm confused on having both inputs connected while inserting it on 1 channel. Can you enlighten me a bit? Thanks for all the help.

• Members

We're running 2 powered Mackie SWA1501s. (15") I think they are 500W, but I'd have to check the manual to make sure.

Don't know if it matters but the mains are powered JBL PRX535s.

I would be very careful, I do not think you have sufficient sub capacity except at low volumes and low amount of processing.

Both channels are needed for the processing to properly extrapolate an output relative to the signals in common between L&R. It's part of the processing technique internal to the unit itself.

• Members

I would be very careful, I do not think you have sufficient sub capacity except at low volumes and low amount of processing.

Both channels are needed for the processing to properly extrapolate an output relative to the signals in common between L&R. It's part of the processing technique internal to the unit itself.

Thanks agedhorse- we'll carefully see what we've got and probably end up not using the Kosmos, thought we'd at least give it a chance. Thanks again.

• Members

By Mackie's own admission the SWA1501 drops like a rock starting just above 50Hz. The Kosmos won't add anything that the speakers are capable of reproducing. And even if the subs could go deep, proper drum tuning and a good mic would likely give a better result than adding a Kosmos.

Archived