Decent starter head for a PA?

• Members

My personal feeling would be: no Phonic, no Nady, no Harbinger, no Gemini, no Kustom (aplogies to users of the preceding - it's just IMO).

I'm thinking a Peavey or Yamaha product of some kind - assuming it would match your speakers power wise. Which brings us to.... what speakers are you using currently?

The other option is a powered speaker, espcially if it has a small mixer section (most at your price point will). However a powered speaker won't be suitable if you need multiple inputs, but if it's just for one mic it would be a good start.

• Members

I do not have speakers at the moment. I'm not looking to get anything quickly... just build stuff when good deals present themselves.

I see that it's only 2x220w, but I'm not sure how much more I'd need. If everything would play over acoustic (no miced) drums... I'd think that would be fine.

Could you tell me why you wouldn't pick those brands? Bad build quality? Lack of features?

• Members

I do not have speakers at the moment. I'm not looking to get anything quickly... just build stuff when good deals present themselves.

I see that it's only 2x220w, but I'm not sure how much more I'd need. If everything would play over acoustic (no miced) drums... I'd think that would be fine.

Could you tell me why you wouldn't pick those brands? Bad build quality? Lack of features?

Instead of knocking the brands I said no to, I will just say that Peavey and Yamaha get better quality and sonic reports and reviews than the others. So yes, better build quality, better reputation, usually better sound.

Lots of threads here about buy once, cry once. Both Yamaha and Peavey make some nice entry level gear, that actually works and will keep on working. Lots of other brands, but for powered mixers I personally like those two (and Yorkville but sometimes their box mixers are more expensive).

If time isn't an issue, do a few searches here (if it works) and familiarize yourself with some products and models. Once you've got a basic background knowledge, you could consider Craigslist as an option. Or if new is your thing (for the warraty....) at least you'll be able to buy with some sense of confidence.

And if you don't have speakers, consider powered. Generally a pretty easy and somewhat foolproof way to go. A passive mixer like the Peavey PV series, Soundcraft EPM... series or the entry level yamaha stuff (MG etc.) and one powered speaker (to start) might serve you well.

Yorkville's NX25P (I own one) and some of the Peavey powered boxes might be a good place to start looking. And... there are LOTS of other good brands; EV, JBL, QSC, RCA, perhaps Mackie if the deal is right - just stay away from the entry level JRX line by JBL. Most everything else currently made by JBL is great, just not the JRX line.

• Members

I do not have speakers at the moment.... I see that it's only 2x220w, but I'm not sure how much more I'd need. If everything would play over acoustic (no miced) drums... I'd think that would be fine.

According to the Phonic manual it's 135 watts per channel at 8 ohms (200 @ 4 ohms). My guess is you would try to add some cheap, innefficient speakers at some point which would not be a good combination.

If you have time then save up some money and buy something better IMO. 1 good powered speaker (that can take a mic input) might be a better route. Someplace was selling the Yorkville NX25P for $399 shipped - http://www.proaudiostar.com/yorkville-nx25p-powered-speaker.html. If you can keep your volume under control it should work.

• Members

Shaster gave some great advice. There are many very well documented reviews of those "bargain basement" speakers so don't ask why just thank him. You will just be wasting your money going after those so do yourself a favor and get better quality speakers that will actually do what you want them to. Don't get too hung up on wattage as the efficiency of the speakers has as much to do with the perceived loudness as the actual power does. If you just need vocals over drums pick up a used EON15G2. They can get nasty loud and they are priced great used.

• Members

I actually went ahead and picked it up. W/warranty and everything it was only $200 because I had a coopin. I spent quite awhile looking at CLs for cities all around me and either didn't find what I was looking for, or found things way overpriced AND "missing a knob or two" in condition.

The way I figure, it's a bit better than what my guitarist had, and that was more than enough for us for what we did. Also, I was posting on a different forum, and someone who I know on there (just from the internet, but he's a trustworthy guy), said that he's had the same unit for 3-4 years and he thinks it would be good for me.

I usually don't get warranties, but because it was only $20, and there were a few comments about the possibility of it crapping out, I decided to spring for it. I understand there's probably a LOT better stuff out there, but I'm not looking to drop half a grand on this type of equipment.

I really appreciate all your input and, as I'm already here for drums, I'll definitely be back to learn more as I piece together the rest of my small set :).

• Members

Yorkville's take on the box mixer looks worthy. I like the wedge/handle thing and the idea of shelving high/low with 9 bands of graphic focused on mids.

They are nice box mixers, I've used them many times. They've got a break switch on them that cuts all channels but your CD. Handy for drunken parties where people want to use the mic in between sets.

The low and high shelving knobs are a nice feature as well but noobs can get confused with these. I've walked into situations where the low knob was dialed to zero, and people were complaining that there was not enough low end!

To the OP, hope you've got a manual. It's usually the best place to start.

• Members

5 times the cost of the one the OP was looking at.

Absolutely, quality costs. Although I mentioned the mixer in passing, I realized and alluded to the fact that that mixer and the Yorkville 810 (less powerful cousin) were good box mixers but most likely out of the OP's price range.

Phrozt, even though you couldn't bring yourself (or yur wallet) to go "upscale" you can still avail yourself of some Yorkville information (and many other manufacturers) to get some basic PA knowledge.

Here's a link http://www.yorkville.com/default.asp?p1=6&p2=0&p_id=17

Archived