Speaker Crackle/Cracking?

• Members

I posted about this a long time ago, but then had an issue again this weekend...

I was using a Peavey PV 14 out to three QSC K10 speakers this past weekend. The two used as mains were daisy chained and connected to the board with an xlr. I had the speakers on "mic" for the first two sets and should've had it on "line", I think. Our volume was fairly low and nothing on the board was anywhere near maxed out...the speakers where up halfway.

During the 2nd set, one K10 strarted to making a cracking noise. I quickly truned it off and we finished the set. I finally noticed it was on mic and not line, so I switched that and turned the volume down a bit...I also made sure the other K10, which was connected to the board, was on line. Again, I checked the monitor, which was also set to line, and the board (to make sure I wasn't driving anything too hard).

Everything was fine until the last song of the night. I started to get crackle/distortion again. I turned the speaker off and then the other one had a bit of crackle.

This was truly the gig from hell on many, many levels. I mean it started with a perfect first set, which included dancers from song number one. As the night went on, it got worse and worse!

I had this issue one other time with just a mic right into at K10. I called QSC and they had no real advice over the phone. There is a place that will fix them an hour and a half from here, but I am not sure there is an issue.

Could it be as simple as a bad cable? If I was using a bad cable to daisy chain the speakers, it would effect the noise level on both of them....I have been unable to recreate this issue at home and I can't remember exactly which cable was used.

Another possible thought was that it is an issue with the speakers running for a long time. Should I turn them off between sets? That would explain why it doesn't happen at home as I don't leave them on 1-2 hours.

Finally, I was maybe causing an issue (that may be permanent) with having the speakers on mic instead of line initially.

I can take them in, and they are under warranty. HOWEVER, I play again this Friday and want to use them - and I can't afford to rent another rig. The repair shop is a hike from my place and I wouldn't otherwise be headed that way. Thoughts? Any other tests I should run?

My monitor, which was at very similar levels, never had any problem. So I *think* if I broke anything, I have two K10s that will work correctly yet.

Thanks!

• Members

I suspect that you overdrove the speaker without knowing it. You need to set everything up and test it again and if the problem persists, troubleshoot to eliminate the mixer from the equation. You weren't overdriving a channel by any chance were you?

Also, a suggestion for any powered speakers that have a mic input volume control, leave it all the way down so that if you do hook up incorrectly you will not get any sound. Not an option on all powered speakers however.

• Members

I don't have a voltmeter, BUT that did remind me that while the board, one main, and my monitor were plugged into a power conditioner. The "faulty" speaker was plugged right into the wall. Possible issue?

Come to think of it, I've only had this problem at this particular club with and without this mixer.

The limiting light on the speakers never went off and the board was not set to clip....the mains were set to just less than half with the channels set to half the gain and volume at the most.

Is it possible that the issue was with the club's power?

Thanks again!

• Members

We played a large room - not really a "club" layout, though - this past weekend. The K10s were ran into a power conditioner and worked excellent. We had 100ish people in the main room with 25+ in the room in the back. We don't play insanely loud and there was not "crackle" issue, which I am attributing to bad mojo at the previous club. We had lots of compliments, including on our volume. I really need to add a sub, though!

• Members

I don't have a voltmeter, BUT that did remind me that while the board, one main, and my monitor were plugged into a power conditioner. The "faulty" speaker was plugged right into the wall. Possible issue?

Come to think of it, I've only had this problem at this particular club with and without this mixer.

The limiting light on the speakers never went off and the board was not set to clip....the mains were set to just less than half with the channels set to half the gain and volume at the most.

Is it possible that the issue was with the club's power?

Thanks again!

It might be That you have found your problem. I feel like every club's wireing is different . what one club's power will take another may not. Although i have never had this issue so it's hard for me to say. with everything you are explaining and being sure that the limiting lights and clip lights weren't going off on anything and then the faulty speaker being plugged into the wall of the club i would say it was most possibly the club power.

• Members

Sounds like a ampeg bass amp in the mix.

This happen 3x using ampeg bass amps. First with my own ampeg bass amp with the built in DI caused my speakers to crackle.

2nd was another band we shared a bill with. He had a ampeg bass amp with the built in DI and it caused the club's house system speakers to crackle.

3rd time was just this past weekend at my wife's benefit gig. One the bands bassist had a ampeg pre amp with a built in DI and I heard my speakers start crackling.

I immedley broke out my EWI DI box and problemed solved.

Archived