another dumb technical question

• Members

I know I ain't smart :confused: That's why I hang around you guys, in the hopes some of your smarts will eventually rub off on me :) But to the point.

I have the discontinued Soundcraft MPM20/2 mixer ( replaced with the MPMi 20/2 ). I want to use the 3rd post fader aux send to run an external effects unit. I'll use the global aux 3 send to the in of the rack mounted effects unit. But what would be the best way to return from the effects unit? The mixer has (2) stereo channels in additional to the 20 mono channels. Should I use one of those as the effects return ? I cannot see another way to do it . Here's my mixer.

http://www.musiciansbuy.com/Soundcraft-MPM202-Multipurpose-Mixing-Console-with-FREE-Headphones-MPM202KIT.html

soundcraft-mpm20-large.jpg

• Members

i like to run my effects back to regular channels as well (when i can) as i tend to use the high and low shelves to make a more "distant" sounding effect.

its only an issue when you are out of channels, or on the mixwiz where i have never figured out a way to return the built in effects through a real channel.

• Members

Got it ! Thanks gents ! By doing it this way, if I turn down the fader/s on the individual channels that do have the 3rd aux send ( post fader ) effects on, then it would turn off the effects as well, since it's post fader aux. Correct ? I don't need to turn down the fader of the effects channel as well, do I ?

• Members

its easier to just mute the returns between songs than turn down all the other faders or sends but basically you got it

Isn't that what the master fader is for ? What I was wondering is, by turning down a particular fader ( like on a channel not being used for a song ), the effects on the channel would be turned off as well, right? And yeah, I could just mute that channel too. I guess I'll need to experiment with my mixer again. It's been awhile since I used it. Thank you Coaster.

• Members

If you just hit the mute on the channel the effects are returning on then that mutes the effects only, and leaves the effects fader in the same spot so you are not guessing where you were.

I think you are asking about the individual channel faders, right? The ones SENDING the effects. Ie, a vocal mic channel you want effects on. You understand that since the aux send is POST fader, moving the fader on the sending channel up and down increases or decreases the amount of signal going out the aux without moving the aux control? That way, when you increase or decrease a channel fader, you increase or decrease the effect automatically on that signal. Sorry if you alreay knew this.

Cheers! Rod

• Members

Mute or turn down the return channel(s) to eliminate the effects when talking between songs. To not do so is tacky to say the least. Pet peeve.

Got it! Good point !

If you just hit the mute on the channel the effects are returning on then that mutes the effects only, and leaves the effects fader in the same spot so you are not guessing where you were.

I think you are asking about the individual channel faders, right? The ones SENDING the effects. Ie, a vocal mic channel you want effects on. You understand that since the aux send is POST fader, moving the fader on the sending channel up and down increases or decreases the amount of signal going out the aux without moving the aux control? That way, when you increase or decrease a channel fader, you increase or decrease the effect automatically on that signal. Sorry if you alreay knew this.

Cheers! Rod

I was concerned that if I turned down a fader on an individual vocal channel with the effects on the post aux send, I'd still have effects coming through the return channel, even though the aux is post fader. I thought this happened to me once before. I really need to check out my mixer again. It's been awhile ( yrs. ) since I used it.

• CMS Author

I was concerned that if I turned down a fader on an individual vocal channel with the effects on the post aux send, I'd still have effects coming through the return channel, even though the aux is post fader. I thought this happened to me once before. I really need to check out my mixer again. It's been awhile ( yrs. ) since I used it.

Nope, as long as the aux is a post-fader send (which simply means that it taps into the channel after the channel fader), when you lower that channel's fader, the amount of signal being sent to the effects unit is lowered the same amount.

If you used a pre-fader aux, then whatever amount of send you've dialed in at the channel's aux knob is what is always sent, regardless of the fader position. This is used for monitor sends, where you don't want the monitor levels changing if you adjust the FOH mix.

• Members

No, this is why you use a post fader aux bus to send from. Post fader means that the signal sent to the effects is derived AFTER the channel faders so you turn the fader down and the effects send level tracks.

Archived