Peavey Impulse 12 D

• Members

We used these the last 2 weekends. First thing is they are crystal clear,Light and priced well for what you get,Butt on the 2nd gig 1 died and would not power up, first I thought it thermal ed out but, after 15 min. still nothing, as soon as I find what the problem is I will report back. But again they sound amazing.By the way could anyone of enlighten on what ribbon driver means. Thanks.

• Members
We used these the last 2 weekends. First thing is they are crystal clear' date='Light and priced well for what you get,Butt on the 2nd gig 1 died and would not power up, first I thought it thermal ed out but, after 15 min. still nothing, as soon as I find what the problem is I will report back. But again they sound amazing.By the way could anyone of enlighten on what ribbon driver means. Thanks.[/QUOTE']

Ribbon tweeter

A Philips ribbon tweeter. A ribbon tweeter uses a very thin diaphragm (often of aluminum, or perhaps metalized plastic film) which supports a planar coil frequently made by deposition of aluminium vapor, suspended in a powerful magnetic field (typically provided by neodymium magnets) to reproduce high frequencies. The development of ribbon tweeters has more or less followed the development of ribbon microphones. The ribbon is of very lightweight material and so capable of very high acceleration and extended high frequency response. Ribbons have traditionally been incapable of high output (large magnet gaps leading to poor magnetic coupling is the main reason). But higher power versions of ribbon tweeters are becoming common in large scale sound reinforcement line array systems, which can serve audiences of thousands. They are attractive in these applications since nearly all ribbon tweeters inherently exhibit useful directional properties, with very wide horizontal dispersion (coverage) and very tight vertical dispersion. These drivers can easily be stacked vertically, building a high frequency line array that produces high sound pressure levels much farther away from the speaker locations than do conventional tweeters

• Members

Ribbon tweeter

A Philips ribbon tweeter. A ribbon tweeter uses a very thin diaphragm (often of aluminum, or perhaps metalized plastic film) which supports a planar coil frequently made by deposition of aluminium vapor, suspended in a powerful magnetic field (typically provided by neodymium magnets) to reproduce high frequencies. The development of ribbon tweeters has more or less followed the development of ribbon microphones. The ribbon is of very lightweight material and so capable of very high acceleration and extended high frequency response. Ribbons have traditionally been incapable of high output (large magnet gaps leading to poor magnetic coupling is the main reason). But higher power versions of ribbon tweeters are becoming common in large scale sound reinforcement line array systems, which can serve audiences of thousands. They are attractive in these applications since nearly all ribbon tweeters inherently exhibit useful directional properties, with very wide horizontal dispersion (coverage) and very tight vertical dispersion. These drivers can easily be stacked vertically, building a high frequency line array that produces high sound pressure levels much farther away from the speaker locations than do conventional tweeters

Thanks nice explaination. Thanks for taking the time.

• Members

Sounds amazing you said- could you elaborate? How well is sound projection to the back of the room? How does it hold up when you push it at loud volumes: screechy or still musical? How about vocals? Did you use it with a sub? What kind of music are you playing? What other speakers are your reference points for this to be amazing.

It's good to hear somebody has these- have been waiting to hear reports!

• Members

The speakers I have owned or used, while I have played in bands are the following; Yam. Ms 400, York. NX 55, QSC K 12, JBL PRX 535 and Wharfedale Titan. The other band had just PRX 1/15, I think that's what it was. Personally, I think all of these sounded pretty good. But for me, the JBL and the Peavey are the clearest and right now the Peavey is # 1. Others may differ. The problem with the Peavey, one died. I always use subs, I just don't leave home with out them. PS, I'm not an expert, just a Bass player out having fun, doing the best that I can.

• Members

Originally Posted by Randyman

How well is sound projection to the back of the room?

dboomer wrote:

That's more a function of the room than of the speakers.

Hmmm.... I would think, in addition to the room, that things like the kind of tweeter used and its amplification would impact that greatly. Esp. with a ribbon tweeter, which is a very different kind of tweeter than is usually used.

• Members

Not much ... assuming that the system is somewhat balanced frequency response wise. Ribbons being true a "line source" would have a little tighter projection ... but only at the wavelength of the ribbon which in this case is about 5".

Archived