my weekend (rant)

• Members

i had a good weekend basically, with a few quirks and bumps. i did three bands over two days in one of the worst rooms ever created; glass, steel, stage firing the wrong way in the middle of a room :facepalm:

band #2: band #2 brought the rock, had to reweld the roof back on the building after the show and dominated the show and audience within ten seconds of dropping the first note. starting out with "highway to hell", they immediatley had the audience singing along and had an ever increasing energy level after that (amazing) and played just about every tune a band should NEVER play (paradise city, jungle, killing in the name of, ghostbusters, etc) and pulled them off. played a solid two hours, no breaks, had one of the highest crowd/band/soundguy energy levels i have been witness to. a great performance, i was actually dancing a little behind the board while fighting off the drunks.

band #1: i get along with the drummer, thats about it. the drummer is the band tech and runs the inears of the band. band #2 was already set up/soundchecked/ready to go and band #1 shows up and demands i pull all the lines and use their monitor board. sigh. after some firm negotiation (did they really think i was going to rip out everything and set their crap up for them? i think they did. i howvwer, did not offer that possibility. i did however remain firm and agreed to allow the to inlin their monitor board in place of mine. i did pull my lines, but they hooked up their own board) i hooked up their mixwiz and disovered all my levels were way too hot on the foh venice. investigation revealed the mixwiz "split" was in fact 2 8 channel TRS/XLR whips stuck in the "line inputs" of the mixwiz.

does the trim have any affect on the "output" of the TRS line inputs on the mixwiz when used in this way? i never did get rid off all the red lights on the venice channels even though i dumped the gains all the way down. the second band was hitting harder/louder than band #1 and i had to raise the gains up quite a bit (10 oclock minimum etc). i have never done routing this way so i have no idea why this happened (why the signal i got from the mixwiz was so hot) i showed the guy the hard panel split on my monitor board and he gave me a confused look. nice guy though.

band #1 did ok, had ok energy and an average performance. no complaints from me.

band #3 - i get along with band #3 in real life. i also get along with them on stage. i might go so far as to say l LIKE band #3 as people, but band #3 really irritates my "button" by doing all the things that "some" bands do that we all hate. like hot plugging guitars all night. complaining about monitors that are already set so hot the snare is nearly clipping the vocal mic inputs, and then the vocal are "slightly" unstable (read sporadic shings at 5k that no eq can fix). radically inconsistent vocal levels that require infinity compression to narrow the window of unintelligible and rip your face off. and the ones that really piss me off -

1. at the end of the show dont leave all your {censored} all over my cables and speakers. why a band needs to put 3 guitars on the floor on my cables and wedges is beyond me. get your coats/merch tubs/personhal items off of my gear so i can tear down. i have to work in 4 hours and its going to take me 2 hours to get this crap in the truck and park the truck across town. dont make it take 3 because your drunk and chasing tail.

2. get all thos girls off my stage after the show. they are in my way. and girls dont act surprised that i am not kissing your ass - you are in my way and the dirty looks you give me as i am doing my job around your in-my-way ass aint doing anything for me. get off the stage.

3. night #1, no beer gack on my cables. night #2, tons of beer gack, spilled beer, broken glasses/bottles all over the stage. spilled beer on top of my tubs. beer on wedges.

i've had 8.5 hours of sleep since i got up friday morning.

thank you for letting me rant, its amazing how much better a guy feels just venting a little. it was all worth it to sit in front of band #2

• Members

all my levels were way too hot on the foh venice. investigation revealed the mixwiz "split" was in fact 2 8 channel TRS/XLR whips stuck in the "line inputs" of the mixwiz.

does the trim have any affect on the "output" of the TRS line inputs on the mixwiz when used in this way? i never did get rid off all the red lights on the venice channels even though i dumped the gains all the way down. the second band was hitting harder/louder than band #1 and i had to raise the gains up quite a bit (10 oclock minimum etc). i have never done routing this way so i have no idea why this happened (why the signal i got from the mixwiz was so hot)

no takers?

• Members

no takers?

I've read the original post a couple of times and I can't figure out how you were using the mixwizard in conjunction with the venice. It sounds like the mics were plugged into the mic inputs on the mixwiz and then used the line outs on the mixwiz to the venice. Is that correct?

• Members

That is why i am so glad that i retired from playing in the clubs i was a traveling musician locally and it was almost the same thing as you go through. I was in a constant worry that the stuff I brung was going to be destroyed by beer or bumped into and knocked over expecially my lighting.they were on stands and some drunk come trip on it and you wonder if he was going to fall or if the lights was going to fall. I kinda feel your pain. and then you trying to tear down sometimes i had to just wait till everyone left before i could even get my gear loaded from people talking to me and being in the way. I am a people person but at the end of the night i get peopled out and just want to find a bed to lay in. so i feel your pain a lot .LOL

• Members

I've read the original post a couple of times and I can't figure out how you were using the mixwizard in conjunction with the venice. It sounds like the mics were plugged into the mic inputs on the mixwiz and then used the line outs on the mixwiz to the venice. Is that correct?

yep, not my plan though. i thought it was pretty ballsy to insist on not using my identical mixwiz with a hard split. i have never routed signal that way and i really dont know what affect if any the trim knob has on the trs input, but i was getting really hot signal.

• Members

On the Mixwiz 16:2 the trim knob does in fact effect the Direct out on the channels. I use it this way for recording.

The (more) correct way to use it as a split in this instance would have been to use a TRS - TRS snake and connect each channel to the Line inputs on the Venice channels, and even then it would be far from ideal. Thats what the Mixwiz 12M is for as you probably know.

I really don't understand the need for a dedicated monitor mixer in an average bar band setup though. were they using more than 4 mixes? were they asking for specific EQ on the instrument channels in the monitor?

• Members

its the way its done around here - its the norm. separate monitor board is very typical. and yes, i have to walk across the room to make any changes.

i guess its more likely that they were using the direct outs; i hadnt considered that. he told me they were in the line inputs but it was hard to tell from my angle.

• Members

its the way its done around here - its the norm. separate monitor board is very typical. and yes, i have to walk across the room to make any changes.

i guess its more likely that they were using the direct outs; i hadnt considered that. he told me they were in the line inputs but it was hard to tell from my angle.

if they were in the line inputs then they would not have been sending you any signal. musos have a tendency to confuse terminology.

Why not put the monitor board with you at FOH so that you don't have to walk back and forth? does the band adjust it themselves?

• Members

yep, not my plan though. i thought it was pretty ballsy to insist on not using my
identical
mixwiz with a hard split. i have never routed signal that way and i really dont know what affect if any the trim knob has on the trs input, but i was getting really hot signal.

The direct outs from the mixwizard are a line level signal. Not the ideal way to split. If that band wants to use their own monitor console, they should also bring a real split snake. They would then give you one of their splits to plug in to your snake. That way you wouldn't have to repatch your monitor console.

You did the right thing. Sometimes it's just not worth the fight.

Archived