SM81 for acoustic guitar?

• Members

If your not happy with the K&K pickup try a different one. Which one is subjective because there's a ton on the market to choose from.

Condenser mics can work just fine as long as the stage volume is on the down low. Maybe ask a around on a Bluegrass forum since a lot of those

folks use PU's on their Martian guitars or which mic they might happen to use.

• Members

An SM-81 CAN work if you know what you are doing and have good quality equipment that doesn't create issues for you. I wouldn't expect great results though if you require significant monitor voluyme or play in an environment with high stage volume.

Other mics I would look at are the 451, I5, CAD 1200, C-1000, etc. All suffer the same challenges as the 81 IME.

• Members

Use the Sm81 on the neck, a LD {tube}or dynamic on the body and the K&K for a full loud and present sound; live or for recording. 3 channels on the board...

In small venues like the OP asked about? With that kind of micing, (maybe suitable for recording or wanking) it sure limits your ability to move around. The mic on the neck would be IMO virtually worthless too, except to pick up ambient noise.

• Members

Yeah, all the times I've recorded acoustic in studios, the engineers never miced the fretboard. Why would you want to hear fret and string noise? We were always trying to reduce that sound. For studio, I've always preferred condensers. Live, any good quality uni-directional dynamic mic should work fine. I've used a variety over the years, and yes, even 57's at times. They lack a little brilliance in the top end, but still sound good. Another option for your pickup is to consider using the Fishman Aura. They have a few various models depending on your needs. It can improve the tone of many types of acoustic guitar pickups.

http://www.fishman.com/aura/default.asp

• Members

Do you have the preamp for the K&K that they make?

It has the preamp that is installed inside the guitar with the battery.

When I get some spare change I'm going to get me a Taylor with the ES system. That is the best sounding pickup system I have ever heard.

Archived