50k potentiometer on P90 on acoustic guitar?? Hellppp

Manni

• Members
OK, Manni, my first concern: P90 in an acoustic guitar. I love P90s and I love acoustic guitars (hence my moniker), but they're not so good together. P90s are magnetic pickups, designed to use with steel strings with a high ferrous metal content. Typical acoustic strings are not that. They might not (probably won't) drive a magnetic pickup very well. My opinion, there are much better ways to amplify an acoustic guitar.

I'll await your reply to that before I launch into a potentiometer rap (no, don't use a 50k pot with a P90).

I agree with you, however, the famous Gibson CF100E uses a P90.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"_88655054_beatles_studio-rex.jpg","data-attachmentid":32211444}[/ATTACH]

• Members

Hey all, a massive thanks to everyone again, I'm glad I didn't go and buy all of this hastily. I have rethought my idea and I will scrap the P90 and the 50k pot 😂. Instead I thought I might install the piezo under the bridge along with the preamp and a single coil pickup, I would like to keep the setup like a telecaster with pickup selection on the body, please scrutinise as I feel there are issues with this.

many thanks again

• Members
Hey all, a massive thanks to everyone again, I'm glad I didn't go and buy all of this hastily. I have rethought my idea and I will scrap the P90 and the 50k pot 😂. Instead I thought I might install the piezo under the bridge along with the preamp and a single coil pickup, I would like to keep the setup like a telecaster with pickup selection on the body, please scrutinise as I feel there are issues with this.

many thanks again

Why not just get a Tele, Manni? Sounds like that's the sound you're after, to me.

• Members
I agree with you, however, the famous Gibson CF100E uses a P90.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"_88655054_beatles_studio-rex.jpg","data-attachmentid":32211444}[/ATTACH]

Then again, the famous Gibson CF100E isn't designed to sound particularly acoustic from what I've heard either.

• Members

many thanks again

Acoustic guitars typically don't have pickup selectors. The goal is an acoustic sound, not a telecaster sound. The Fishman Rare Earth Blend is a magnetic pickup with a mike built in; it's not cheap but it might be something close to what you want. At least some Fishman preamps allow two pickups to be connected but there's no selector. Takamine sells a rebranded Baggs M1 magnetic pickup for use with some of their undersaddle pickup equipped guitars. The pickup by itself will run you around $170 so again it's not something where you can get by on the cheap. It sounds more and more like you really want a hollowbody electric, something you can play unplugged in a pinch but that's not really designed that way. If you just want an acoustic you can plug into an amp and you don't care how it sounds then install the cheapest magnetic pickup you can find and put electric strings on it.

Archived