Supercardioid directional pattern VS. Handling noise

• Members

Was flipping through a copy of Shure's "Microphone Techniques For Live Sound" and came across an illustration of the directional pattern of a SC mic. The illustration showed the rear lobe covering a significant portion of the body of what appeared to be a beta87. Then it occurred to me that this would seem to contribute greatly to handling noise. So my question is: Do SC's (as a whole) have greater handling noise than say a straight cardioid?

• Members

Was flipping through a copy of Shure's "Microphone Techniques For Live Sound" and came across an illustration of the directional pattern of a SC mic. The illustration showed the rear lobe covering a significant portion of the body of what appeared to be a beta87. Then it occurred to me that this would seem to contribute greatly to handling noise. So my question is: Do SC's (as a whole) have greater handling noise than say a straight cardioid?

I don't know the answer to that but cardioid and super cardioid definitely have more handling noise than omni

• Members

i have not noticed any significant handling noise difference between an sm57 and a b57a. i would guess that build quality of the internals would play a larger part in handing noise than pattern; example pg series have serious handling noise compared to sm series while patterns are similar.

Archived