Do you have a favorite studio vocal mic under $500?

• Members

I suppose Coaster had the best idea with his suggestion as he stated that it was a great mic at reproducing the source. Since we'd only have one mic for this we'd need an all around good mic.

The singing is pretty straight forward male vocals in alternative rock, but the singer hits highs like Jack White. On the other hand, the drummer (male) sings back ups and has a lower vocal range with more of a country twang. Then lastly, the guitarist (me) sings awfully and needs autotune, vocal shaping, and some sort of processor to make me sound like Sting.

The quest to get better and better at singing (guitar, bass, drums, keys, etc) never ends. But if we'd like to use a decent studio mic instead of an sm57 to record vocals, we'll have to pick something eventually. And it happens that the budget is around $500 now.

Take what you will from that? :idk:

Didn't mean to start drama. :wave:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The quest to get better and better at singing (guitar, bass, drums, keys, etc) never ends. But if we'd like to use a decent studio mic instead of an sm57 to record vocals, we'll have to pick something eventually. And it happens that the budget is around $500 now.

I think we've proven our point that 95% of the battle comes before any sound hits the mic, and I totally get the desire to start putting together a studio cabinet, but I really feel that most bands who are starting out are way better off putting together a decent live mic setup and using those in the studio, since money always seems to be too tight to do both.

• Members

"It depends" on the vocalist and the musical style.

I'm a micaholic and although I can't afford many of the high end mics, I have gotten a chance to use a lot of them over the years.

The modified octave 319's do sound great (their resale isn't necessarily great though).

A 414 is a good choice if you can find a good one under $500 (The newer ones are quieter but I prefer the character of the older ones for vocals - FWIW the REAL old ones are closer to the original C12 but they cost a lot).

I recently bought a CAD m179 and used it the other day (set to kind of a wide cardioid pattern). I was suprised with it and liked it a lot. It's very neutral sounding (so don't expect flattery from it).

My most used vocal mic is an ADK TL 51 (not to be confused with the A 51 P.O.S.). It's been discontinued but IMO they sound a lot like the AKG C12 (not quite but they don't cost $15k either).

My second most used vocal mic is a Rode K2 tube mic (more like a M49 - warm with nice smooth highs (unlike the old C12 or telefunken mics)).

I had a couple of bluebirds and was underwhelmed. I sold them. The baby bottle is nice though (and around the same price).

Almost forgot the AT 4033. A decent mic for vocals. An excellent mic for piano and many other instruments. I think Agedhorse has one for sale right now at a good price (If I had the money, I'd pick it up to have a stereo pair (I own one already)).

These mics all have different qualitles, so like I said "It depends".

• Members

I recently bought a CAD m179 and used it the other day (set to kind of a wide cardioid pattern). I was suprised with it and liked it a lot. It's very neutral sounding (so don't expect flattery from it).

I KNOW HUH. ITS WEIRD HOW NEUTRAL IT IS.

dont get me wrong, colored mics are important too but its great to have a neutral mic. i have stuck the m179 on anything i can think of and it impresses me everytime, there has been no recording with it that i was disapointed with. its hard for me to believe that a mic can do equally well 1" from a floor tom and 20' in front of an orchestra but it does with consistency.

i dont know if i mentioned the rode nt1000 but its one of my goto cheep colored mics, just a little off-white shade to it with some HF spice and lower mid goo (good goo). you wouldnt want to use 14 of these in a mix but one or three is great.

a side note on the NT1000 - when i taught college i would have the students do "mic wars" on various things (live recording) and the NT1000 was nearly always a winner on guitar amps compared to anything else on a stage. also did very well on bass amps and any role on a drum kit (oh, kick, tom etc). kinda weird on vox but def useable given the right vox.

you could buy an m179 and an nt1000 for your $500

Archived