Do you have a favorite studio vocal mic under $500?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Thanks for the tips man!

How do you feel about the usb set up though? Its not something I think I would use EVER... and it seems like something that will eventually break for no reason and wreck the mic for me.

If the usb portion goes out on these things does everything else still work?

• Members

Yeah, that would worry me too actually. I wanna point out though, that the Yeti "Pro", is a much more robust and performant mic than the basic Yeti model. It's important to distinguish between the two. The Yeti Pro also has XLR out I believe.

• Members

That would be a killer deal if it stays anywhere near that price. Three days left in the bid process. The prices usually skyrocket in the last hour of bidding. Keep an eye on it, and be ready to place a bid at the last possible second.

Good luck

• Members

Yeah man, the mic is what it takes to make things sound pro. Forget the talent, forget the arrangements, forget the practicing, forget the vocal lessons, forget the experience. It's all in the mic, just like the marketing man says
;)

We have all that... just need the mic now. :idk:

• Members

Rent a day in the Hangar 'B' room (It's $10 an hour!).

Ask for a selection of the mics you are interested in and sit down and record your singer with them. The one that sounds best with his voice may not be an expensive one. A 58 sounds a lot better on some people than some expensive bottle.

• Members

Rent a day in the Hangar 'B' room (It's $10 an hour!).

Ask for a selection of the mics you are interested in and sit down and record your singer with them. The one that sounds best with his voice may not be an expensive one. It might even be the case that a 58 is the best for him.

Thats a really good idea. Thanks mang.

• Members

Spend a day with a vocalo coach and see how much better you can sound.

I'm not the singer...

but the singer has spent the last 6 months with a Jazzically trained vocal coach...?

I mean I guess I could wait until I can play Rachmaninoff's 3rd Piano Concerto before I pick out a mic to record... but I kinda want to record some simple powerchords right now?

• Members

Yeah man, the mic is what it takes to make things sound pro. Forget the talent, forget the arrangements, forget the practicing, forget the vocal lessons, forget the experience. It's all in the mic, just like the marketing man says
;)

??????:confused:

What the heck does that have to do with choosing a mic???? Who said anything about buying a mic to make a talentless hack sound better than he is? The question was related to buying "a quality studio mic" for $500.

I don't get the point of that post.

• Members

??????
:confused:

What the heck does that have to do with choosing a mic???? Who said anything about buying a mic to make a talentless hack sound
better
than he is? The question was related to buying
"a quality studio mic"
for $500.

I don't get the point of that post.

Bob, you don't get the point of a lot of my posts it seems.

The point was that the mic is almost always not the limiting factor in the quality of the recording, and in fact if you go back and listen to many great recordings, what makes them great is not the mic(s) being used, but the talent, the material, the approach. I understand that it's not nearly as sexy as going out and buying a new mic (yeah, I know you are a mic-a-holic) but will almost always me more rewarding to the results of the end product.

AND, I never said anything about a talentless hack sound better than he is... I suggested that greater improvement to the recorded sound could generally be had by addressing other more important (IMO) things than the mic. I stand by my comments.

• Members

Yeah but Aged... I didn't ask for opinions on how to improve what is going into the mic. I asked for opinions on mics.

Its like if you asked me if you should buy an American Paint or A Missouri Fox Trotter and I replied with...

why don't you go back to the bullriding machine at your local bar and practice a bit more?

• Members

Bob, you don't get the point of a lot of my posts it seems.

The point was that the mic is almost always not the limiting factor in the quality of the recording, and in fact if you go back and listen to many great recordings, what makes them great is not the mic(s) being used, but the talent, the material, the approach. I understand that it's not nearly as sexy as going out and buying a new mic (yeah, I know you are a mic-a-holic) but will almost always me more rewarding to the results of the end product.

AND, I never said anything about a talentless hack sound better than he is... I suggested that greater improvement to the recorded sound could generally be had by addressing other more important (IMO) things than the mic. I stand by my comments.

Andy,

I already know that talent has everything to do with the success of a good recording. What does that have to do with this thread however???

Your implication is that Ryan and/or I have somehow been bamboozled by "slick marketing campaigns". Do you really think we're that shallow? I know you generally have a pretty low opinion of all the "fools" out there. Are you suggesting that quality studio mics have no application,,,, for anyone? We're talking $500. or less here,,,, not $15,000. mics.

Maybe I'm gonna call Andrea Bocelli, and tell him to use an SM58 for studio recording.;)

• Members

Yeah but Aged... I didn't ask for opinions on how to improve what is going into the mic. I asked for opinions on mics.

Its like if you asked me if you should buy an American Paint or A Missouri Fox Trotter and I replied with...

why don't you go back to the bullriding machine at your local bar and practice a bit more?

Nice one, and you also missed the point.

Without a whole lot more information, your question is essentially worthless. What's the acoustic environment you will be recording your talent in? Will it be a booth, tracking room, orchestral ensemble room, close mic'd, desired pattern, type of material, vocal range, dynamics???

All of the above will suggest a whole array of different mics, some will be great for one application but terrible for another, etc. I've done enough (pro) recording projects over the years to know that when recording folks discuss mics, every one has both an asshole and an opinion. I think we've seen both expressed here.

• Members

That's the mic that was used on the Thriller vocals...

Sadly that recording sold more copies in 5 minutes than anybody here will sell in 10 lifetimes. Imaging how well it might have sold if they had chosen to use a "real" recording mic ;)

Archived