Anyone tried these cheap power bricks?

thisISjoel

• Members

Saw these on eBay and Ali express, very cheap, maybe nasty? Curious if anyone had taken a punt on them and can provide feedback? Alternatively, any affordable power bricks with 2 500ma outputs?

Flanger Guitar Effect Pedal Power Supply For DC 9V/12V/18V Outputs Guitar Pedal Safety Voltage Protection EU/UK/US/AU

http://s.aliexpress.com/FRVvEB7N?fromSns=Copy to Clipboard

(from AliExpress Android)

• Members

Most likely it's a daisy chain in-a-box, not a true "isolated GROUND" power supply. Companies try to fool the consumer with "isolated outputs", which are fine, but they are not the same as a true isolated ground power supply. These power supplies have a common ground, but individual voltage regulators on each output. Isolated grounds is only a "must have" if you want to run a positive ground pedal in your chain, and almost all of those are vintage germanium transistor devices like Rangemasters boosters or 60s era fuzzes (or their modern clones).

It's a decent deal for about $40.

A OneSpot adapter is about $20, and can support a total current load of about 1,800 mA.

• Members
Most likely it's a daisy chain in-a-box, not a true "isolated GROUND" power supply. Companies try to fool the consumer with "isolated outputs", which are fine, but they are not the same as a true isolated ground power supply. These power supplies have a common ground, but individual voltage regulators on each output. Isolated grounds is only a "must have" if you want to run a positive ground pedal in your chain, and almost all of those are vintage germanium transistor devices like Rangemasters boosters or 60s era fuzzes (or their modern clones).

It's a decent deal for about $40.

A OneSpot adapter is about $20, and can support a total current load of about 1,800 mA.

Thanks :) I already have a one spot so I think I'll stick with that and look at a better/properly isolated power supply in the future.

Archived