NEED HELP WITH OLD CRATE 212 AMP

SWEET LENNY

• Members

Good deal. I still find it odd the amp had 6L6 tubes in it. Someone must have modified it to work with those tubes because the amp is designed for EL34 tubes. If someone simply plugged in 6L6 tubes it may have worked but sounded bad cranked up. What would have been needed is to increase the cathode resistance and re-bias the tubes. Luckily 6L6's draw less heater current then the EL34's so it wont damage the transformer. If it had been designed for 6L6 tubes and someone put EL34's in there you'd not only risk damaging the transformer, you'd have to rewire the tube sockets but change resistors and re-bias.

Personally I like the EL34's better. I like the jangly midrange tones for chords and tight drive when cranked for lead playing. 6L6's tend to be better for fat clean tones and rhythm guitarists and less breakup when cranked. Not surprised you're peeling paint off the walls when its cranked. Luckily the amp does have a drive channel to get preamp distortion if you need drive. If it was a vintage design where you had to crank the power tubes trying to get drive from them would require running the amp really loud which can be impractical in many cases.

Archived