So...the Ibanez Iceman

Preacher

• Members

fetch?photoid=32073566

[I built that one for JJPistols about 10 years ago or so]

Ok, nevermind, I'm faking your comment into it's own post as this deserves more than a comment in my opinion. This is absolutely gorgeous. In a previous search JJ's comments about his Iceman came up but none of the pictures show up. This totally lives up to the accolades.

What a build! This interests me quite a bit.

What are your thoughts about the Iceman? And from a builders perspective? Besides the binding around the horn being a pain. :lol:

• Members

I see the Iceman a lot like a Firebird or an Explorer. They are big guitars, but if you like a big guitar they are comfortable and easy to play. The only real pain I recall from that build was there was a lot of silica in the maple top, which caused me all sorts of problems getting the finish perfect. Oh, and the push button on-off switches for each pickup were interesting to figure out.

Wait - was that the three coil, single pickup model? I think he actually used that guitar for a lot of the "strat-sounding" stuff he played, didn't he?

Yes, Steve Miller played an Iceman - I knew that, and totally forgot about him when I was trying to think of artists who had used them! :0

• Members
Wait - was that the three coil, single pickup model? I think he actually used that guitar for a lot of the "strat-sounding" stuff he played, didn't he?

Yes, Steve Miller played an Iceman - I knew that, and totally forgot about him when I was trying to think of artists who had used them! :0

Yes, exactly, that was the 3 single coil pickup.

IMG_2465.jpg

I found a picture of it in this great restoration thread (worth the click if you like projects: http://www.richardsguitars.com.au/?page_id=5985) from Richards Guitars, apparently a now retired luthier named Sandy Richards. Looks like he did some great work.

IMG_2629.jpg

• Members
Wow - that was quite a restoration! Thanks for posting that!

I wish he would have described the switching a bit more - I always wondered how they worked.

My pleasure, Phil; yes, a great thread and the switching is still a little mysterious. :confused2:

But a couple more pictures from his project page to give folks an idea of some of the work he did...

IMG_2290.jpg

IMG_2444.jpg

Also, I hadn't seen fret nibs on an Ibanez before this...

• Members
Some of the more recent Ibanez guitars I've seen have fret ends that are rounded off; almost bullet-shaped. That includes guitars with bound fingerboards. I think it's great that they care about keeping those potentially sharp fret ends nice and smooth.

Yes, I came across a lower-end RG that had shockingly great fret ends, I had actually never seen that before. It went on to influence my own fret maintenance.

Edit: Like the frets in this picture:

016.JPG

Archived