Graduation Music

• Members

I'm looking for some ideas of interesting music to play for the recessional of an adult education High School graduation ceremony I'm doing. The graduates are a mix of older and younger people who have gone back to get their degree and I'm thinking of throwing together a medley if I can come up with something more interesting than the Graduation March.

Star Wars Throne Room into the theme from Rocky into We are the Champions kind of stuff, but I'm not coming up with newer things that would be good.

Thanks, Winston.

• Members

IMHO it is a graduation. Pomp and Circumstance by Elgar is the graduation song....nothing else is appropriate.

I'd go with the traditional and all will be pleased.

If you are DJ'ing the event, substituting any other tune would make the event "too DJ", and informal (yes, "cheap").

If your band is to play the event (and you can work Pomp...) your group would be remembered by all.

The only time one hears Pomp and Circumstance is at garduations........because it is the appropriate song.

Once again, this is MHO.

Mike Monte

• Members

Of-course, if you can work it in, maybe Queen's "We will rock you/we are the champions" might fit in somewhere... maybe after they throw their hats in the air?

I also think good stuff to have on hand is JP Sousa's "Washington Post March", "The Thunderer", American Patrol, and... well... shoot, I can't remember the name of the other one, but it's big.

"Fanfare for the Common Man" is always a hit.

Some Scott Joplin couldn't hurt... during those times when nothing's going on, but something is sort of going on... you can segue in and out of "Easy Winner" at will.

Oh yea, the "The Barber of Seville" is tough to beat while folks are filing in... or filing out afterwards.

Beethoven's #6 is good too for filling in dead air time.

• Members

I would stick to traditional graduation music as others have indicated. I'm not sure Rocky, Queen, or others you mentioned would go over too well. The parents might like it but not the graduates. I've noticed a huge disconnect with the younger crowd the last couple of years. The older stuff just doesn't seem to go over like it did five years ago. I just spent a week working in San Francisco followed by a week working in New York City. We had satellite radio in our rental car and I tuned it into the 80's on 8 after hearing enough Rihanna, Usher, etc. My younger staff was completely puzzled about what I was playing. A couple asked me point blank "what the hell is this stuff?" It was all 80s - Queen, Journey, Huey Lewis & The News, Styx, REO Speedwagon, etc. - I mean some of the biggest acts that ever existed and they were hearing this stuff for the first time.

• Members

I would stick to traditional graduation music as others have indicated. I'm not sure Rocky, Queen, or others you mentioned would go over too well. The parents might like it but not the graduates. I've noticed a huge disconnect with the younger crowd the last couple of years. The older stuff just doesn't seem to go over like it did five years ago.

Your divisor isn't going into your common denominator. "Stick with the traditional stuff, but the younger crowd doesn't like older (traditional) stuff." Huh?

BTW: Just like weddings, graduations aren't really for the folks on stage...well... it is, but it isn't.

• Members

The older stuff just doesn't seem to go over like it did five years ago.

I still have hope. My 8 yo walked up to the some guys I provided for this weekend and wanted to know if they could play "Money." They said no and he said "just don't play crap." When they finally played "Communication Breakdown" and a VH tune, he screamed louder than anyone in the club and then leaned over to me and said "Dad, they are playing all my favorite music except for Whitesnake." I am a proud Papa.

• Members

Your divisor isn't going into your common denominator. "Stick with the traditional stuff, but the younger crowd doesn't like older (traditional) stuff." Huh?

BTW: Just like weddings, graduations aren't really for the folks on stage...well... it is, but it isn't.

By traditional I mean Pomp & Circumstance, etc., not Queen, Led Zeppelin, Journey...

• Members

Yeah, Pomp and Circumstance is their standard. But the people hiring me are tired of the standard and it's not a standard Graduation crowd. Last year the oldest was 78 and finally getting his High School Diploma and the majority of the class was over 25.

You're probably right about the parents and people in the audience though. While the people in charge were open to something nontraditional, I haven't heard back about my suggestions so it may well just have to be the same old same old.

• Members

Amen - Occasionally I'll have a wedding client make an extensive "do not play list" that has nearly ever overplayed 70's - 80's dance song we do on it. They scratch them off because "they don't like it". Sometimes I'll not have enough "for the masses" material to make the job a success and will have to discuss this concept with the client. I explain that our part of the reception is the after party and is the part that shifts the focus from the bride and groom to those in attendance. 3 hours of our least danceable stuff probably isn't going to cut it. I'd like nothing more than to not do "Play That Funky Music", BUT that's a song that fills the dance floor every time.

So as this relates to the thread - Yes, play the traditional graduation stuff. That's the expectation every proud mom and dad have. The ceremony music shouldn't even be a discussion point on the drive home. After the hats have flown off you can get more creative, but even then, some 70's - 80's standard "stuff you'd hear at a time out at an NBA game" is probably the way to go.

• Members

I volunteer to set-up and run the sound at our local Elementary School. It's pretty simple. Pomp and Circumstance, and the Star Spangled Banner.

Four years ago the principal asked me to add a song for the graduating class. It was one of her favorite classes, and she wanted somethings special.

She selected Louis Armstrong's "What a Wonderful World" When the class exited the stage, I played that instead of P & C.

Needless to say, I still play it at the end.

I did play a joke on her when I started doing the sound. At the rehearsal, when the students stood and faced the flag, instead of the Air Force Bands version

of the Star Spangled Banner, I played the Jimi Hendrix version.

Archived