Low Profile, 12" stage monitor

• Members

I bought a pair of the EAW VRM12's. The Ramsdell Audio models looked tempting too but I thought the EAW name might be worth the extra hundred. I'm sure the SRX712M are a great monitor but I have 4 RCF 322i cabinets that are very similar in footprint and performance. I really want something small with a little more umph than my em168's. I'll likely still use a pair of the em168's and a pair of the VRX12's for now while I test drive them. Thanks all for the suggestions.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRpYI3KF6nXxfbWzzWdJKx

• Members

Nice lookin' work, there. Any reason you didn't recess the connectors, though?

Actually, the connectors are recessed just enough that the tip of the NL4's are flush with the surface of the monitors. That way I still had enough ply left to catch a 1/2" screw without adding a back plate.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Ok...I took receipt of a pair of the EAW VRM12 monitors. I hooked them up to some music in my living room and A/B'ed the sound against my Yorkville EM168s. The VRMs are not as sensitive but do handle more power. The have a fuller, more rounded sound as you would expect from a 12" monitor vs a 10" monitor and not as brittle on the high end. They do not appear to get much louder but I didn't want to push them hard with music as it was plenty loud in my living room Also, the angel is more sharp as would be required on the small stages we work. I'll use them tonight and tomorrow and give a post-gig review on their performance as a monitor.

• Members

Ok...I used a pair of the VRM12's last night and was very impressed. First, it comes with two angles for close and far coverage (60 and 45 degree). The close angle really points the monitor at your ears with it much closer than the typical monitor wedge; this is much more in line with the small stages we typically play but still has more traditional angle (flip it over) for those times when I have more stage room.

The coax design allows the monitor to be surprisingly small (less foot print than my Yorkville em168 10" monitors) for a 12" speaker. It weighs in at 36 pounds and feels very sturdy with heavy rubber feet on both monitor angles. It has only one handle but it's not a real problem as at 36lbs you only need one hand to carry.

The sound was MUCH more full and pleasant than my EM168's with a richer low end that you would expect with a 12" speaker. I used a feedback ferret for eq on the monitors and only notched out two high freq's when I rang-out the monitors. Honestly, I could have bypassed any eq and had enough headroom without feedback for our moderate stage volume but always like extra headroom on the monitors. Now, we are a band with electronic drums and a moderate stage volume...we are not a loud metal band but are also hardly quiet. These monitors worked great for us, you may need something with more SPL if you are a LOUD band. They did not get significantly louder than my 10" em168's but were much better sounding.

So, to sum it up, they achieved my goal of a lightweight (36lb), small footprint (15" (h) x 15" (w) x 12.5"), moderate SPL (119avg / 125 peak), good sounding and fairly flat, value minded ($493 ea) monitors. In a perfect world I would have preferred them to be capable of a touch more SPL to handle any circumstance. I know that comes with cost and would put me in the microwedge category at about 3x (and more) the cost...not that important to me. In short, I'm very happy with the purchase.

• Members

One drawback with a very small vented box is the low hump around 90-130Hz that just can't be tuned out with porting. Sub-compact boxes require a very special set of driver parameters and even custom are hard to be successful with. Sometimes, it's just better using a sealed box when very small and adding a little low eq to taste. No clear answer here.

Archived