Crazy subs not working - Gig today!!!

• Members

I still use B-58's, but maybe that's because I am dealing with acts that request them and they can really cjhoose anything they want. It's a go to mic for some pretty experienced and good engineers IME. I have no problem using them whatsoever. I am hardly "da fool" either.

i have the suspicion that if i had stated the opposite that in fact your response would have also been the opposite. i am failing to connect what you said to what you quoted from me.

people can choose whatever mic they want, i dont care. i carry my beta 58's with me to every show. my point was and still is that there are mic fads where if you dont have that mic in that time frame you are considered "da fool". couple years later and the mic is different. right now it seems to be the audix drum mics.

sometimes i think you just skim posts and make up your own meaning to them that is often unrelated to their intent.

• Members

i have the suspicion that if i had stated the opposite that in fact your response would have also been the opposite. i am failing to connect what you said to what you quoted from me.

people can choose whatever mic they want, i dont care. i carry my beta 58's with me to every show. my point was and still is that there are mic fads where if you dont have that mic in that time frame you are considered "da fool". couple years later and the mic is different. right now it seems to be the audix drum mics.

sometimes i think you just skim posts and make up your own meaning to them that is often unrelated to their intent.

You implied that those who used B-58's were "da fool" and I don't think that's an accurate statement, certainly at the level I work at. Maybe there are those folks who bought the mics because they thought they were the answer to all their sound problems, those folks perhaps are "da fools" (or at least da gullables) but there are plenty of B-58's being used at the national level where they can have anything they like.

• Members

{Re}member the beta 58 fad? the one where you had to have beta 58's or you were "da fool"? i have two now and they mostly sit there and do nothing. i use them maybe once every other year.

I read this just fine, the implication is that folks who have B-58's are fad sucking idiots. I used your own term "da fool" in place of my (new) term "fad sucking idiots". Putting down B-58 users may seem cool at your level but you are seeing a very simple view of the bigger picture.

Now, is that clearer?

• Members

no, its absolutely wrong. nowhere in my post did i put down beta 58 users; that is only in your mind.

once again if you read what i wrote you would know i said there was a time where if you DID NOT HAVE THEM ON YOUR STAGE you were "da fool". you can think i meant unicorns are awesome or harleys are loud or whatever but the fact is i said NOTHING AT ALL about beta 58 users. what i meant is what i wrote - for a time people demanded them, and that time is over. some people still want them and i carry the beta 58's for those folks.

you can dig in your heels all you want but you just didnt read what i typed - you read what you think i typed.

your wrong on this one.

• Members

B-58's were a fad, you were a fool if you didn't have them, you have a couple that you don't use presumably because they are not good, and you are not putting down those who do not think they are a fad, bought them because they were a good mic and NOT because they were trying to avoid looking like a fool, and still use them because they are a good mic that (in my case) some of the national accounts request them.

How am I misreading what you clearly wrote between the lines. I'm not stupid.

• Members

D6's are fairly notorious for failing if you do not properly place them. In the manual, it clearly states you MUST place the diaphragm of the mic INSIDE the port of the head... and not 'parallel' or equal at it. Supposedly the turbulence of the air causes the mics to fail.

:eek:

Hmm... that

• Members

How am I misreading what you clearly wrote between the lines.

thats where apparently you and i differ. i dont live, write, or play the inbetween the lines game.

i still like the beta 58, i never said otherwise. i DID say i no longer use them very often, and i will tell you why even though i have said it before in other threads - i dont use them anymore unless requested to or if i know the performer knows how to use them because too many (most) people on my stages dont maintain close enough proximity to get them to work. they just dont work well if you mumble into them 6" away on a loud stage. however if you play bass in slayer and are named Tom Araya then the beta 58 is a good mic for you. if you are "sally street fair with her first accordian gig" then no, not for you.

i'm tired of defending myself to you. read what i type, not what i dont type. there is nothing between the lines in my posts in this thread.

the current "fad" is the D6. i think they stink, are fragile, sound poor and i wont buy one. some people scoff when they see my beta 52 (once again "was a fad at one time" but also a good mic) on stage because thats not what so and so said is the new cool plastic breaky thing (D6) and no kick drum can sound good without a D6.

i am waiting for this time to be over, so we can move past this D6 stage. personally i dont know anyone in my town that owns one that hasnt had an issue with breakage. i'm not buying one because i dont believe they are good mics, but before i stomp on someones religion of kick mics let me remind you "i dont care if you like them. i dont. please feel free to like them all you want, i am not buying one"

fads come and go. anyone remember the "you have to have a bridged MA5k per sub" fad? oh wait....

• Members

the current "fad" is the D6. i think they stink, are fragile, sound poor and i wont buy one. some people scoff when they see my beta 52 (once again "was a fad at one time" but also a good mic) on stage because thats not what so and so said is the new cool plastic breaky thing (D6) and no kick drum can sound good without a D6.

i am waiting for this time to be over, so we can move past this D6 stage. personally i dont know anyone in my town that owns one that hasnt had an issue with breakage. i'm not buying one because i dont believe they are good mics, but before i stomp on someones religion of kick mics let me remind you "i dont care if you like them. i dont. please feel free to like them all you want, i am not buying one"

I think it depends on the genre of music your going to work. The B52 works great for soft acts or when they don't need anything above 500hz; there isn't enough high end on a B52 to capture the snap (click) of the kick.

But the D6 "fad" has been going on for 10 years, so they must be doing something great with it.

You should try an EV RE20 mic on the Kick... that mic sounds good, but its not for all drums.

• Members

I think it depends on the genre of music your going to work. The B52 works great for soft acts or when they don't need anything above 500hz; there isn't enough high end on a B52 to capture the snap (click) of the kick.

Agreed on using the appropriate mic for the gig.

However, the B52 has a LOT of high freq to my ears. It doesn't start dropping off until after 5 kHz.

• Members

Originally Posted by Coaster

{Re}member the beta 58 fad? the one where you had to have beta 58's or you were "da fool"? i have two now and they mostly sit there and do nothing. i use them maybe once every other year.

Now I am a bit of a moron when it comes to mics but the way I read this is that the mic was a fad "must have" mic at one time. You have two but rarely, if ever, use them. To me, being outside this argument, this can be construed as anyone that actually still uses the B-58 is a fad driven lemming. That is pretty much what I get from the quote.

I guess I'm wondering why you stopped using it. Not being an instigator, just trying to learn something. We only have AT 3000 series wireless mics. Everything is direct and the drummer uses a TD-20 kit. Never really had to think about drum mics.

• Members

i dont rely on it. its too specialized for the average performer. it does not work as well as other mics in my situation and the amount of people demanding the beta 58 has dropped to almost no one in my circles.

even those that once demanded the beta 58 are fine when offered a regular 58 these days, again at least in my circles. to me the re enforces my position that they wanted this mic because everyone else wanted this mic and they didnt really know why or what it did, then it became obvious they either had to conform to its demands or suffer the results. get 6" off of this mic and a little off center and the signal goes away. i tried to work with these people and get them to understand and i suffered through their lack of mic skills until one day i had enough and started putting up different mics unless requested or i know the performer can handle the beta 58.

i also have a beta 57 that i use less often than my beta 58's, and i really dig the beta 57. you guys can infer or construe or any other fancy words you like all you want but i never said i didnt like these mics, just that i have little call for them post fad.

i think i used my beta 57 once this year so far, and i didnt really need to , i just wanted to.

and no, i would not have bought the beta 58's had it not been due to the long period of pressure from talent requesting them. they are simply too specialized for the bulk of people i amplify.

i'm not going to buy a plastic kick drum mic that breaks when you blow air on it either.

Archived