Requirements for Mac for live services

• Members

We are looking at getting a Mac Book Pro 13" for our portable church. The goal would be to have this laptop run the media portion of the services (Song Show, Media Shout, or something similar), any videos for the service and then be used to record the pastor for podcasts. The board is a Presonus StudioLive 16.4.2 Can we do all this on one laptop? If so, what should I be looking for in terms of specs? Thanks.

• Members

You will be taxing any system if you are recording audio while playing back video and expecting that same machine to run other media portions of the service. Maybe a dedicated recording device in addition to a Mac would be best. I'm pretty sure it is possible but the more you depend on pone machine to do everything, the more you lose if something crashes. Losing the podcast recording is one thing but losing all of the media services during a service would be a problem.

• Members

We are looking at getting a Mac Book Pro 13" for our portable church. The goal would be to have this laptop run the media portion of the services (Song Show, Media Shout, or something similar), any videos for the service and then be used to record the pastor for podcasts. The board is a Presonus StudioLive 16.4.2 Can we do all this on one laptop? If so, what should I be looking for in terms of specs? Thanks.

Do not get Media Shout or Song Show. You want Pro Presenter, the options are a lot better with how the program manages media.

If you are only doing a 2-track recording and not doing HD video playback, you'll probably be fine using the MBP. Video playback is very resource intensive, FYI.

I would rather use a dedicated audio recorder if the budget was there. Consider getting the best MBP you can afford in terms of processing/RAM and a separate audio recorder. The Tascam SSR1 is a great solution.

• Members

I have a Presonus SL and the newest 13" Macbook Pro with the i7 processor. I love the thing and multi-track recording while playing mp3's is no problem. I'm not sure how it would handle video at the same time though. That really is asking a lot. the laptop does have firewire and "thunderbolt" connections so maybe a dedicated external video card would allow it to happen. Google around a bit and see I guess.

• Members

When I've recorded 16 channels on my year old Macbook Pro via firewire and onto a firewire external drive, CPU usage was about 50% and you have the newer more powerful generation of that computer. I suspect that video wouldn't be taxing it too much. (Might need to max out the memory, but try it as it is first.) These machines will surprise you with how much they can handle.

• Members

Why a laptop? know any computer savy folks maybe get built a bare bone machine and customize one for video and the other for audio.

For a little more then what your gonna pay for new MBP. With custom build just a matter of swapping out parts to stay current with today's computer technology.

Just food for thought it's what I do.

Archived