CARBON FIBER GUITARS, ANY GOODE?

rlspencer

• Members

I've played the Rainsongs and thought I could be happy with the sound right about the time I switched to nylon string guitars. That nixed the Rainsongs. Then I saw an Emerald done up in nylon and chanced to hear it. Not what I'm looking for. Like the old dime store plastic toy guitars with their nylon strings, I think I'll pass. Still, it looks like something I could get all wrapped up in if I let my eyes take over for my ears.

X20 Nylon Artisan – Emerald Guitars

• Members

Yes, carbon fiber and other composits are highly engineered structural materials - that is why they are used in race cars and aero space applications and high end bicycles. You are paying for both the engineering properties and the "gee wiz" factor. Klos makes a somewhat affordable travel sized CF guitar (Google is your friend), however its still 3 times your Martin backpacker

And for what its worth, have you actually played a Backpacker? In my humble they sound terrible and are almost impossible to hold.

Yep, I get that, thanks. And thanks for tip to Klos.

No, haven't played a Backpacker yet, but figured to do so before deciding whether it might fit my bill or not... I knew the shape might be problematic. I expect similar -- but different -- than corraling an Ovation. :)

-D44

• Members

Their decent sounding - but they wont get better with age like a great wood guitar will - but it depends on your set up and pickup type installed -

Ive been to a David wilcox concert and that model was made for him ( Rain song ) -and i was very impressed with its sound - and honestly ive heard that their very durable, travel well - i was at first disapointed becasue he didnt have his Olsen guitar- but he did sound amazing . I believe that that guitar has two different pickup systems -id maybe look at that. ( for a start )

Archived