Looking for a recone kit

• Members

Bummer. I forget what you had it powered with and what crossover you are using with it? I'd suggest we figure out how to not have that happen again before you blow the other one
:(

I powered 2 of them with a MAcrotech 9000i, it was a rental

I used an EV DC-One and had the following:

HP: 25Hz

LP: 90Hz

Limit: +2db -> I think this is where I blew it

• Members

Do you have the necessary skills to install a recone kit?

In your other thread, you indicated you were dissapointed with the output of the new subs. With the way you have them arrayed on each side, they will create a "power alley" down the center of the dance floor and cancellations down each side of the dance floor......were you focusing on the areas of cancellation?

No I don

• Members
I powered 2 of them with a MAcrotech 9000i, it was a rental

I used an EV DC-One and had the following:

HP: 25Hz

LP: 90Hz

Limit: +2db -> I think this is where I blew it

Personally I'd move that 25Hz HPF up to 35Hz (the TH-118's -4db point) if I was running that much power. That's basically how I run my TH-Mini's. And be careful not to "fight" the HPF with your system's EQ! Can you tell if the voice coil burned or was physically damaged due to overexcursion?

• Members

Personally I'd move that 25Hz HPF up to 35Hz (the TH-118's -4db point) if I was running that much power. That's basically how I run my TH-Mini's. And be careful not to "fight" the HPF with your system's EQ! Can you tell if the voice coil burned or was physically damaged due to overexcursion?

+1

Asking for 25hz with real power is asking for trouble with most any sub. Good luck on the recone.

• Members

+1

Asking for 25hz with real power is asking for trouble with most any sub. Good luck on the recone.

Especially with a horn loaded sub that unloads before that!!!

If you are going to pound the speaker hard, I suggest 35Hz, 24dB/octave, BW filter alignment, and limit that driver to about 130 volts (peak voltage) and the average power (long term limiting) to about the RMS rating of the driver. That will help against uncontrolled lapses in good judgement by those who do not own the gear (ie. rentals).

Do you have the skill to do a recone of a fairly difficult driver? If it's not done "perfectly", it's essentially junk. There's not much margin for error, and it takes a lot of experience to do a really perfect job.

Archived