Fingernails and protection

Neal

• Members

Yeah, technique takes re-learning. And a good side of that is if yer in yer 50's and up, that's good for the brain, as well as other parts, like nails. I was never a 'down' attacker on steel strings, mainly fingerpicker, though I s'pose the downstroke came often enough. Definitely a downstroker on the uke, because..uke.

• Members
Talk to me. Got 2 bad nails on the right hand, index and middle, and I don't, and won't, use picks. Have tried vit. E oil and 'Hard as Nails', and that healed up the cuticle on the index, but still too thin and prone to splitting. JUST THOSE 2 FINGERS! They do come in contact with cardboard on a daily basis..

I'm using the HAN product to protect them, but am seeing no progress in thickening. I keep them very short, filing one way, not sawing. Don't like the idea of wraps or glueing anything on top.

Ideas? My 2 most important fingers..

Two things I do: wear gloves at work when needed (good for my character because it teaches me to survive ridicule) and play with my fingertips (better sound than nails, not as plinky).

I know. Gloves thwart dexterity and not everyone likes the fingertip sound. Just some thoughts.

• Members

It's definitely not the strings, it's that damn cardboard! Point about the gloves, few have the dexterity needed, but I do have some thinner ones. Thought about bandaging the 2 tips as well. Winter's coming, so gloves yes.

Archived